Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Vega 56 and Sonnet 350

Vega 56 and Sonnet 350  

RSS

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

I know its been asked before, and the usual answer is no... but I've been hunting out more info on the Internets and I'm kinda confused as to why it wouldn't work.

I understand there is a possibility of over loading the psu, under the most extreme conditions, and people will do that, but only a small percentage, enough for AMD and Sonnet to say it's a no go, but looking at these figures, even under heavy gaming the Vega 56 doesnt go over 300 unless overclocked?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-rx-vega-56,5202-21.html

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Naragato
(@naragato)

I ran my Vega 56 in my Sonnet 350 without shutting down Windows, whilst mining zencash (irc, although could of been eth).  The head room is fine.  You can also switch the bios to cap the power usage towards the fan.  I did the same is a Vega 64 as well, but the driver crashed a few times, resulting in blue screens, although ran fine with the bios in lower power position.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Thanks for the reply, first hand info is super useful! Did you do any gaming at all? Think I'm going t try grab a Vega 56....

---

ReplyQuote
Naragato
(@naragato)

Yeah, I played Overwatch and did some benchmarks with Ashes of the Singularity. (Golf with friends as well but it's hardly taxing :p)

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

How did you attache the PSU cables to the GPU? Because don't Vega 56 cards require 2x 8 pin and the 350 only has 1x 6 an 1x 8pin?

---

ReplyQuote
(@alexander_kim)
Eminent Member

@Eightarmedpet, have you tried vega 56 in 350w box? There's a guy on macrumos that using vega 56 with 350w already. He just bought 6 to 8 pin adapter he said.

Mac mini 2018 / i7 8700b / 32GB ram / 256GB ssd

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@alexander_kim)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

@alexander_kim I actually ended up buying a Core V1 so never had the issue.

Just noticed, that you're using 13" 2017 MBP, i guess your cpu is heavily bottlenecking vega 56?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Posted by: Alexander Kim
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

@alexander_kim I actually ended up buying a Core V1 so never had the issue.

Just noticed, that you're using 13" 2017 MBP, i guess your cpu is heavily bottlenecking vega 56?

I’ve got a double (triple?) bottleneck as I’m also using a tb3 monitor connected to my MacBook but I still get 45-60fps in most the games I play @1440 so that’ll do me (semi lie, I’m always chasing more).

---

ReplyQuote
ozzy
 ozzy
(@ozzy)
Trusted Member

I've got a Vega 56 in an Akitio Node (400 W power supply). I also figured based on that research and power draw that it was fine. But it shuts down pretty readily when doing Heaven benchmarking. In Windows it shuts down occasionally in other benchmarking as well. On OS X I've played probably 10 hours of Total War: Warhammer 2 with it and it shut down once unfortunately. I'm now looking at if I can switch to the low power BIOS or do the under-volting. Otherwise I'll need to upgrade the PSU I guess.

2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina GT650M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
(@alexander_kim)
Eminent Member

Posted by: ozzy

I've got a Vega 56 in an Akitio Node (400 W power supply). I also figured based on that research and power draw that it was fine. But it shuts down pretty readily when doing Heaven benchmarking. In Windows it shuts down occasionally in other benchmarking as well. On OS X I've played probably 10 hours of Total War: Warhammer 2 with it and it shut down once unfortunately. I'm now looking at if I can switch to the low power BIOS or do the under-volting. Otherwise I'll need to upgrade the PSU I guess.

I think undervolting would solve your problems.

ReplyQuote