Vega 64 + Razer Core X - Damaged new MBP 2018

Notifications
Clear all

Vega 64 + Razer Core X - Damaged new MBP 2018  

RSS

acidhue
(@acidhue)

Running on Mojave 10.14.2 (18C54)
Brand new Macbook Pro 2018, quad core basically top spec.
Razer Core X brand new with brand new Vega 64 (ASUS Radeon RX Vega 64 ROG Strix OC)

Worked flawlessly the first night. 60FPS everything ultra on WoW at 4k was amazing.
Tried again in the morning after 2 hours of trying to fix it GPU was not recognised. Tried PRAM resets, tried purge wranger, tried restarting, tried tricks like hot swapping nothing. Worse the Mac now freezes randomly and not longer works with my external display (Tested display with other PC, working fine). Mac also goes purple with TV now on HDMI wtf?

So it's damaged my new MBP 2018 very nice.

Can someone advise what I should do here?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

Posted by: acidhue

Running on Mojave 10.14.2 (18C54)
Brand new Macbook Pro 2018, quad core basically top spec.
Razer Core X brand new with brand new Vega 64 (ASUS Radeon RX Vega 64 ROG Strix OC)

Worked flawlessly the first night. 60FPS everything ultra on WoW at 4k was amazing.
Tried again in the morning after 2 hours of trying to fix it GPU was not recognised. Tried PRAM resets, tried purge wranger, tried restarting, tried tricks like hot swapping nothing. Worse the Mac now freezes randomly and not longer works with my external display (Tested display with other PC, working fine). Mac also goes purple with TV now on HDMI wtf?

So it's damaged my new MBP 2018 very nice.

Can someone advise what I should do here?

Do you still have warranty for the Mac? I got a burnt logic board with my Macbook Pro 2017 when I was using it with a Mantiz Venus + AMD Vega Frontier Edition, at first I was thinking that maybe the eGPU killed my mac but at the end I realized I just got a bad logic board. So I don't think the Razer Core X is to blame to be honest. Take your Mac for warranty and if you don't have AppleCare, i really really recommend you buying it.

My Mantiz Venus died and I sold the VEGA Frontier Edition and I bought a Razer Core X last December that I'm using it with a AMD RX Vega 64 attached to my new mac mini 2018 and it's been very nice and also I have had many power outages in my city for the same amount of time and nothing has happened to it, however just to be on the safe side I added a UPS to protect my devices.

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 8700B 32GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote