Which to choose? RX 6800 or 6800 XT for TB3/4 eGPU

Notifications
Clear all

Which to choose? RX 6800 or 6800 XT for TB3/4 eGPU  

RSS

Matthew Kwong
(@matthew_kwong)
Eminent Member

I'm kind of leaning towards 6800 XT, but I know there may be a performance loss due to the limited bandwidth of TB3/4. I don't want to buy an RX 6800 XT, then find out it only runs like a 6800. So assuming

1. I will be connecting the eGPU to a laptop with Tiger Lake or Ice Lake CPU (i.e. has built-in TB controller).
  2. Using an external monitor
  3. (Or maybe there is anything else I can do to minimize the performance loss?)

Which card is should I choose?

eGPU newbie
Expected setup:
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9
Gigabyte AORUS RTX 3080 Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@matthew_kwong

The XT will be worth the extra $70 on a 4K display. 

1080p - or maybe 1440p - framerates is where you’ll see less of a difference. 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Matthew Kwong
(@matthew_kwong)
Eminent Member

@mini-i5, my target monitor (yes, I haven't bought it yet) will be Xiaomi 34" 21:9 monitor and the resolution is 3440 x 1440, kind of between regular 1440p and 4k. So XT would be worth it, I guess? Yet, I'm fine to scale down the resolution to 1080p if the result is unsatisfied. 

BTW, will the existing TB3 eGPU enclosures work with TB4 port? Do I need to update stuff like the driver/firmware?

eGPU newbie
Expected setup:
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9
Gigabyte AORUS RTX 3080 Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
Quentin Hartman
(@quentin_hartman)

@matthew_kwong, TB3 enclosures work fine with TB4 ports.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote