Win 10 updating rev.1909 not display via eGPU. rev. 1803 eGPU display ok but Tar...

Notifications
Clear all

Win 10 updating rev.1909 not display via eGPU. rev. 1803 eGPU display ok but Tarkov and Arma bluescreen "of death"  

RSS

Artur Marlewicz
(@artur_marlewicz)

Hello, I have two problems:

1. Windows 10 x64 rev. 1803 after updating to rev.1909 does not display via eGPU (everything installs correctly, device manager does not report problems, Thunderbolt detects the Razer X and starts the connection, AMD driver is installed - I tested all drivers) everything "works" but does not detect and display graphics on the external monitor. Has anyone had such a problem and has it been solved?

Config:
GPU: Asus RX Vega 64 OC 8GB https://www.asus.com/pl/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-RXVEGA64-O8G-GAMING/
eGPU: Razer Core X https://www.razer.com/gaming-egpus/razer-core-x/RC21-01430100-R3U1
Laptop: Lenovo 920 Vibes https://www.lenovo.com/pl/pl/tablets/convertibles/900-series/Yoga-920-Vibes/p/88YG9000860 (ver. 16GB RAM, I changed SSD to 1TB M2 2280 Sabrent)
FW: Bitdefender ver. Total Security
AMD driver tested: 20.4.1, 20.4.2, 20.5.1, 20.7.2, 20.8.1, 20.8.2
I also added the missing Visualstudio libraries and etc. (it's easy to do: https://www.computerbase.de/downloads/systemtools/all-in-one-runtimes/ ) which is related to the second topic

2. I can't start Tarkov and Arma game, bluescreen "of death" (both use: Unity Engine and Battleye), after disconnecting the eGPU the games start. (Other titles: COD Warzone, PUBG, APEX, Hell... start and run with eGPU). What i did was test different GPU drivers, added administrator privileges on exe files, reset battleye, reinstall game, turned off firewall/antivisus, check file integration, (I even added Unity and Mono engine to the system to see what libraries are added - documentation is not detailed) and nothing helps. Has anyone had such a problem and has it been solved?

Arthur

This topic was modified 5 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@artur_marlewicz, Does the eGPU work when you run a software such as AIDA64 GPGPU? I've seen AMD eGPU showing up in Device Manager but it actually doesn't work. Best version of Windows 10 for eGPU use is Win10 1903 V1 (18362.30 to .295).

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Artur Marlewicz
(@artur_marlewicz)

@itsage, hello

ad.1 Yes AIDA64 / GPGPU is visible:

Direct3D: Radeon RX Vega (Vega 10 (Greenland))
OpenCL: Radeon RX Vega (gfx900)

(maybe I didn't write it clearly, in the rev.1803 eGPU compilation everything works except the mentioned titles: Tarkov and Arma. For the sake of clarity, after disconnecting the eGPU the titles work)

ad.2 I can of course re-test rev. 1903 (I tried once before and the effect was identical to rev.1909, The eGPU did not want to display anything), however, I may try again because in the meantime new AMD drivers appeared.

I wrote tickets to: ASUS, AMD, Razer, Arma, Tarkov, but have not found a solution to the problem to this day.
If you have any more suggestions, I'll be grateful.

Arthur

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@artur_marlewicz, Have you tried the Windows Graphics settings to specifically assign the game to use eGPU? What about using an external monitor?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Artur Marlewicz
(@artur_marlewicz)

@itsage, Hello again,

I tested:

1. Direction OS win x64 pro rev.1903 - (not available but I used Rufus link: https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-use-rufus-to-download-windows-10-iso/ it might be useful for others), rev.1903 allowed the installation of rev.1909 but did not allow anything else, i.e. in rev.1903 several attempts of different configurations did not start the eGPU (the situation is as described earlier, Thunderbold ok detects Razer Core X, dirver is installed but does not detect the card, does not detect the lcd) with one exception ... the first time I used amdcleanuputility.exe in the OS link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601 and I allowed automatic update, saw the image via eGPU on an external monitor. So I did shut down the system, after starting it did not work anymore and I could not restore it using this application again. I also tested the drivers described above but to no avail. so I used a previously created OS image. rev.1803 and...

2. Direction of further changes to the OS settings, I tested what you suggested, adding a reduction in resolution to the FHD, ARMA started. Thank you, You brought me for a partial solution.

a) ARMA - Probably problem Arma 3 APEX is the incorrect handling of rescaling (my Dell is 40" and 4k), I test decreased the resolution the screen to FHD and I also assigned the rigidly high GPU performance and ... It started.

b) TARKOV - refuses to cooperate after the last update (I have no influence on it, it's autoupdate), it doesn't even start without eGPU - I'm waiting for Tarkov team to fix it. I have an idea to set the FHD without eGPU in the game, turn off the game, sign the eGPU with FHD settings and again start game - so that the game does not have to change the resolution at the start - maybe this is a temporary solution, but today I can't check it. I will write as soon as I test it.

Arthur

update info: FHD test failed. various options, including only one LCD turned on (description: Tarkov reinstalled without eGPU and I set the laptop display to FHD, Tarkov started, I changed the settings to FHD in the game, turned off), I set the laptop to display only eGPU and only one external LCD in FHD. restart. Reinstall Razer Synapse (Responsible for eGPU, est from Synapse 2 and synapse 3 Beta). Restart. I launched Tarkov and ... blue screen - that is, everything remains unchanged.

update info: I found a temporary workaround for the problem to run Escape of Tarkov:
1. Start a laptop without EGPU with an external LCD attached (I use the second thunderbolt Satechi ST-TCMA2M Type-C multi-adapter 4K v2)
2. Start the game (on the GPU in the CPU it will have a small number of frames but ...
3. With the game turned on (in the bar) EGPU connection, when AMD XConnect starts disconnecting the monitor from the adapter and leaving only the EGPU connection
4. Turning off the game
5. Launching the game, I have a normal number of frames ... absurd but such voodoo spells work, ultimately it would be a drama but temporarily until the Tarkov team is overwhelmed, you can use their game.

ReplyQuote
Artur Marlewicz
(@artur_marlewicz)

update info: I have good information, Win 10 x64 rev. 20H2 +driver AMD rev. 12.20.1 fixes the described problem at game start.

ReplyQuote