Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Yoga 730 15" TB3 charging?

Yoga 730 15" TB3 charging?  

RSS

charlbarl
(@charlbarl)

Hi all,
I recently ordered a Core X Chroma along with an RTX 2060 to work with my daily driver, a 15" Lenovo Yoga 730. Very excited to see what it can pull off! However, I'm curious. Can the enclosure charge the laptop with the 100W out? I haven't been able to charge my Yoga over TB3 before, but also haven't tried with 100W. 
The Yoga does have a built in GTX1050 which I've read is what may disallow USB C charging. Does anyone here have more concrete experience?
Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The laptop itself does not support Power Delivery over USB-C. Therefore you won’t be able to have it charge via the Thunderbolt 3 enclosure.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
ziggo0
(@ziggo0)

Posted by: @itsage

The laptop itself does not support Power Delivery over USB-C. Therefore you won't be able to have it charge via the Thunderbolt 3 enclosure.

Not meaning to be annoying but is there a solution/work around for this? Bought my wife a Yoga 730, invested in a Razer Core X Chroma and the fixings just to be stabbed in the heart by this issue. Got a small window to return the laptop and find something else currently.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ziggo0 Unfortunately there’s no workaround. The manufacturer had to configure the motherboard to enable charging over Thunderbolt 3/USB-C. I’d recommend returning it for something else.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote