[AMD] 7970 and RX 580 perform the same  

RSS

7rozen_7ear_
(@7rozen_7ear_)
February 9, 2019 12:08 am  

Hi everyone,

After giving my eGPU a go, I came to notice that the RX 580 (4GB) in a Mantiz Venus (from last year) performed significantly worse than my 7970 in a desktop setup. In Rocket League, for instance, the RX 580 could render about 45 fps, whilst my 7970 managed at least 75 fps. Strangely the 7970 renders about 45 fps as well in the eGPU-dock. Could this behaviour be explained by a bandwidth bottleneck in Thunderbolt 3?

The video and memory clocks of the RX 580 seemed perfectly fine upon inspection: watch -n 0.5 cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/1/amdgpu_pm_info. I suppose that my CPU is not the cause of these underwhelming results. Is there something I'm missing? Is there anything I can do to enhance my eGPU's performance? Is this related to AMD's open source drivers and would switching to NVidia with proprietary drivers solve anything?

Thanks in advance!

Specs of the Thinkpad X1 Tablet (Gen 3) driving the eGPU:

• CPU: i7-8650U (4/8)
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • Kernel: 4.18

Specs of my desktop:

• CPU: i5-2500K (4/4)
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • GPU: 7970
  • Kernel: 4.19
This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Honorable Member
February 9, 2019 12:28 am  

Why don't you use a benchmark we all can reproduce, like e.g. an Unigine Benchmark? Post the screenshot of the result and we can tell you if there is something wrong.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
7rozen_7ear_
(@7rozen_7ear_)
February 9, 2019 1:38 am  

To be frank I completely forgot about that. Here are the results.

I'll try to rerun the benchmark on my desktop setup with the 7970. (I cannot do that with my RX 580, as PCIe 3 is not supported.) But I'm going to leave that for tomorrow as it's getting quite late over here. Done.

Edit: DotA 2 is also painfully slow (sub 25 FPS) on my eGPU RX 580 setup while it runs just fine (about 120 fps) on my desktop 7970 setup. Civ VI hits very low fps as well, yet it's no problem for my desktop.

Edit 2: The 7970 performs significantly better in my desktop than both itself and the RX 580 in the eGPU-dock: https://imgur.com/a/Tc6qOmM .

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@tara_fitzgerald)
February 11, 2019 3:22 pm  

Can you post the output of 
xrandr --listproviders

What you're describing is extremely similar to what I noticed over the weekend, when I went from a 7870 to an RX580 in my eGPU enclosure. When I checked my xrandr output, it was showing the Intel & AMD normally, and my displays are connected to the Intel graphics (internal laptop display, and a 2560x1080 panel on DisplayPort). Turns out that it was using the Intel integrated graphics to render anything that was connected to Intel, and ignoring the DRI_PRIME settings.

A tweak to the xorg conf to force it to use modesetting for the Intel fixed the problem for me - went from 7fps @ medium on Unigine Heaven (2560x1080) to 40-60fps on Ultra. I also wrote a script to detect whether the eGPU is connected on boot and make the change to xorg on the fly so I don't have to futz with changing it manually, and was good to go. I was planning on posting a guide tonight or tomorrow night, once I finish writing it.

** edit: also should note, modesetting on the intel wasn't necessary before changing video cards. DRI_PRIME settings worked fine with the 7870, which xrandr identified as using Modesetting, instead of the proper AMD Pitcairn driver. It's only when I switched to the RX580 that the problem began.

This post was modified 1 week ago

System: Tuxedo InfinityBook Pro 13", i5-8250u, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe
eGPU: Razer Core X, 8GB XFX RX580 GTS Black Edition OC+

ReplyQuote
7rozen_7ear_
(@7rozen_7ear_)
February 11, 2019 4:21 pm  
Posted by: Tara FitzGerald

Can you post the output of 
xrandr --listproviders

What you're describing is extremely similar to what I noticed over the weekend, when I went from a 7870 to an RX580 in my eGPU enclosure. When I checked my xrandr output, it was showing the Intel & AMD normally, and my displays are connected to the Intel graphics (internal laptop display, and a 2560x1080 panel on DisplayPort). Turns out that it was using the Intel integrated graphics to render anything that was connected to Intel, and ignoring the DRI_PRIME settings.

A tweak to the xorg conf to force it to use modesetting for the Intel fixed the problem for me - went from 7fps @ medium on Unigine Heaven (2560x1080) to 40-60fps on Ultra. I also wrote a script to detect whether the eGPU is connected on boot and make the change to xorg on the fly so I don't have to futz with changing it manually, and was good to go. I was planning on posting a guide tonight or tomorrow night, once I finish writing it.

** edit: also should note, modesetting on the intel wasn't necessary before changing video cards. DRI_PRIME settings worked fine with the 7870, which xrandr identified as using Modesetting, instead of the proper AMD Pitcairn driver. It's only when I switched to the RX580 that the problem began.

My problem has been resolved.

I'm also very glad you're busy with that script, as I had a similar idea but less convenient (selecting upon login, but your solution is by all means superior). I might still take a look at it, as just selecting an iGPU or eGPU session on login might be useful upon wake-up after hibernation.

Thanks for your quality of life improvement to this community! I really look forward to your guide.

This post was modified 1 week ago

ReplyQuote
Random_Jerk
(@random_jerk)
February 12, 2019 6:17 am  

Interesting. Im trying to get my Vega 56 working via Akitio Node on a Precision 5520 laptop running Manjaro on Kernel 4.20. I was able to get an Nvidia 1070 working fine with this config, but with the Vega, I keep hitting this error

AMDGPU(0) : [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.
(EE) Fatal server error : (EE) no screens found

Strangely, the Vega is not shown in the list providers. ANy ideas on  how to fix this issue?

xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x77 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 5 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting
Provider 1: id: 0x3f cap: 0x5, Source Output, Source Offload crtcs: 0 outputs: 0 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting

My graphics config is as follows

Graphics: Device-1: Intel driver: i915 v: kernel 

Device-2: NVIDIA GM107GLM [Quadro M1200 Mobile] driver: nouveau v: kernel 

Device-3: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Vega 10 [Radeon Instinct MI25] driver: N/A 

Display: server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: modesetting unloaded: amdgpu resolution: 3840x2160~30Hz 

OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 630 (Kaby Lake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.2

ReplyQuote
(@tara_fitzgerald)
February 12, 2019 1:23 pm  
Posted by: Random_Jerk

Strangely, the Vega is not shown in the list providers. ANy ideas on  how to fix this issue?

I think you need to use the amdgpu-pro driver for the Vega series. That's specifically why I bought an RX580 instead of a Vega when I upgraded from the 7870. 🙁

System: Tuxedo InfinityBook Pro 13", i5-8250u, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe
eGPU: Razer Core X, 8GB XFX RX580 GTS Black Edition OC+

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Estimable Member
February 12, 2019 11:30 pm  

@random_jerk

I don't know the driver situation on Manjaro but I'm pretty sure the Vega cards can work with the open source drivers now. I would try just enabling the AMD card and not the intel iGPU. So I'm thinking of something like this:

Section "Module"
 Load "modesetting"
EndSection

Section "Device"
 Identifier "amdgpu"
 Driver "amdgpu"
 BusID "PCI:6:0:0"
EndSection

otherwise if that doesn't work then, maybe you could try some boot parameter like pci=nocrs and see if that helps.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node)
+ macOS 10.14.2+Win10
+ Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote