AORUS GTX1080 slow (sluggish) performance on Yoga 15-IKB?

Notifications
Clear all

AORUS GTX1080 slow (sluggish) performance on Yoga 15-IKB?  

RSS

Marián Trpkoš
(@marian_trpkos)

Greetings egpu.io folks,

It's been some time I bought myself GTX1080 AORUS gaming box for my Lenovo Yoga 15-IKB ultrabook (configuration with i5 cpu) and I've played it with it quite a lot...

My original point was to get this egpu for some light VR gaming, but as it goes with time i bought large 31.5" 2.5k monitor hoping to get some good desktop experience outta this thing.

Performance of this egpu in games / demanding apps is really good, like really good, I can play any VR game i wish on high details without any major issues, but I've started to notice some lags in my OS ui when I came to use my 2.5k monitor (connected via HDMI 1.4?)

It's really strange, because in-game / benchmark performance is really good, with like 5-15% perfomance drop compared to desktop, but i experience really strange lags across my entire system ui ~ and it's NOT windows! Because i am running clean archlinux setup with my own written xorg config and prime drivers, and the lags behave same! I am using i3 window tilling manager without any desktop manager, so it's really really lightweight and has 0 reasons to lag, however - it does!

It almost feels like the eGPU floods CPU / thunderbolt somehow, because it behaves like this ... I have clean setup with vscode, launch vscode, it launches in like 1 second and loads project, no issue... || I connect egpu, clean written xorg config with only one screen (attached to the egpu, internal screen of laptop is turned off), open vscode, it loads for like 5 seconds and then it hangs, and loads small project with like 2 folders and few files for even minutes! And if i check GPU, CPU and RAM usage during this process, it's not bottle-necked anywhere. I have 16gb ram, so that's not really an issue, CPU doesn't overcome 20-30% usage and GPU utilization is normal as it should be (few %)... It almost looks like eGPU firmware issue / thunderbolt flood / cpu flood?

I don't really know, that's why I am asking here, I've tried several OSes, borrowed expensive 2000$ thinkpad from my friend (that has several 40gb TB3 ports), and even found a person with same enclosure and he said that he has same issue... nothing helped... really seems like firmware issue?

If someone could give me any tips/ideas to fix this i'd be really happy... or maybe this is completely common with eGPUs and they are only meant for heavy-load usage with stable VRAM like gaming (that works flawlessly), maybe it's something completely different.

Thanks for every bit of help...

This topic was modified 2 years ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Marián Trpkoš
(@marian_trpkos)

@, Disabled iGPU and everything non-related to eGPU in my xorg and will see how it performs, seems better so far...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Quentin Hartman
(@quentin_hartman)

@marian_trpkos, How'd this all work out? I ask because I'm working on an eGPU setup on my machine and I'm noticing pretty significant performance drops as well. On windows, I saw similar thigns until I disabled the igpu in device manager, but blacklisting i915 doesn't seem to make a difference on the linux side. Did you do anything else to disable your iGPU?

ReplyQuote