Can't make Kubuntu 20.04 + Akitio Node Pro (GTX 1660) work

Notifications
Clear all

Can't make Kubuntu 20.04 + Akitio Node Pro (GTX 1660) work  

RSS

TheGreen
(@thegreen)

Hi!

On a clean install, using proprietary drivers, my eGPU is instantly recognized and authorized. The egpu-switcher script sets up correctly, and after rebooting (even though I get 3 error codes between my LUKS password prompt and the login screen) both screens (external to eGPU and internal) are recognized and displaying correctly, however only for a few seconds. Then the whole system freezes until I unplug the eGPU.

The 3 errors at boot are: 

error: no suitable video mode found.

error: no video mode activated

error: can't find command 'hwmatch'.

Removing the script, purging nvidia-* and installing the latest drivers results in the computer booting up into the OS using only the external display, keeping the internal undetected and still, the eGPU would turn off after 2-3 minutes and my system would freeze.

The eGPU works fine in a different Windows machine, same TBT cable. Secure boot is off, and I have tried plugging the eGPU at different times during the boot process.

I've searched online like a maniac, tried different drivers, but honestly, I'm waving my arms in the dark at this point, and need some guidance.

Thank you.

Clevo NS50 i7-1165G7 32GB + Akitio Node Pro w/ GTX 1660 (AMA while I haven't a build posted)

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

@thegreen

I found a similar issue in this thread: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/egpu-randomly-recognized-at-boot-akitio-nvidia-1060gtx-on-macmini-with-ubuntu-19-04/80571

Looks like a pcie resource issue. Can you try the boot parameter from that thread? Also post the bug report if that doesn't work.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
TheGreen
(@thegreen)

Hi @nu_ninja !

Thanks for replying. Yes, I also came across that very same post during my searches, but that refers to Macbooks and their specific quirks, not my case.

After some messing and breaking, I've ended up burning many distro versions into an USB drive and booting live environments until one of them stuck, as I had read (and experienced) that sometimes EGPUs would get detected in live environments but not after being installed.

For future reference, I ended up installing Kubuntu 21.04. If anyone is in my situation, what go it working was:

Reinstall Kubuntu from scratch, without LUKS encryption.
Don't enable proprietary drivers, just nouveau for now.
Don't allow for updates during install.
Install with your eGPU connected.
Now udpate&upgrade
Once in your installed environment, install egpu-switcher.
Once that is done, reboot, verify that eGPU still works.
Switch to proprietary drivers (in my case, 460).

Kernel is 5.11.0.22

I am 0% positive about the impact of any of these individual steps on the specific issue, BUT got my setup (build coming soon) up and running, so if you are desperate, shrink your current installation partition and try a dual boot to see if i works for you. I will soon test to boot without eGPU and see how that goes.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Clevo NS50 i7-1165G7 32GB + Akitio Node Pro w/ GTX 1660 (AMA while I haven't a build posted)

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

Glad you got it working. Yeah thunderbolt related patches have come in with new kernel and desktop versions so I like to stick with the latest stable version. 

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
TheGreen
(@thegreen)

Quick update for future internet searchers: Yes, it boots with and without eGPU no problem. Will report back with some gaming performance tests, but that will be in the build post.

ReplyQuote