Setup & Software Discussions
eGPU on Fedora 30 gives no output on external monitor (MacBookPro10,1)

eGPU on Fedora 30 gives no output on external monitor (MacBookPro10,1)  

RSS

emanuelediba
(@emanuelediba)

Hi,
I am trying to set up the eGPU (Akitio Node, Apple TB2/TB3 adapter, AMD RX580) on Linux, in particular Fedora 30 recognizes the eGPU, it gets authorized but I don't get any output to the monitor. I read that I need to make the eGPU as the primary GPU by doing  a configuration file to put into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, but that broke my installation since Fedora gave me a black screen. The guide in particular is this. Also, to boot into a Xorg session I need to install the nvidia dGPU drivers. Without I am able to get only into a Wayland session. What can I try to do?

My laptop is a MacBook Pro 15" retina mid 2012 with a GT650m dGPU.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Mid-2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro + Akitio Node + AMD RX 580

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Estimable Member

The xorg configuration method is the best method IMO. So I would install the drivers and figure out an x configuration that works for your particular setup.

That said if you're set on using a wayland desktop check out this post I made, you may have to blacklist one or both of the igpu and dgpu. Also note that the gnome desktop didn't work for me with this method.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.14+Win10
+ Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote
emanuelediba
(@emanuelediba)

How can I proceed in making my own x configuration? I tried yours, changing the BusIDs but it didn't work, it made the system unbootable. (I have the same amdgpu BusID anyway).  I attached the output of "lspci | grep ' VGA '".

I am also running Gnome with Xorg. I had to install nvidia drivers to get Xorg working.

Schermata del 2019 04 09 22 51 23
This post was modified 5 months ago

Mid-2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro + Akitio Node + AMD RX 580

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Estimable Member

I would start with a minimal configuration like:

Section "Module"
 Load "modesetting"
EndSection

Section "Device"
 Identifier "amdgpu"
 Driver "amdgpu"
 BusID "PCI:10:0:0"
EndSection

see what that does and you can add things like server layouts if needed from there.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.14+Win10
+ Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote