2020 13'' Dell XPS 13 9300 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 13'' Dell XPS 13 9300 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Linux [oleg_hofling]  

of  2
  RSS

Oleg Höfling
(@oleg_hofling)

System specs

Dell XPS 13 9300

OS: Fedora 32 @ 5.8.9-200.fc32.x86_64, then upgrade to Fedora 33 @ 5.9.11-200.fc33.x86_64

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X Chroma

GPU: ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Triple Fan

Hardware pictures

Installation steps

I was suprised how easy the setup was; everything works out of the box. Turned off secure boot in bios, installed NVidia drivers from RPMFusion (instructions), rebooted, installed CUDA (again, using instructions from RPMFusion), rebooted again, done.

Benchmarks

Comments

Tested and confirm working:

* external display connected via HDMI

* peripherals connected via USB (wireless keyboard/mouse, external HDD, USB memory sticks)

Not much of a gamer, thus can't tell much on that matter, but at least the Resident Evil 2 Remake runs with stable 60 fps when using the "Max" preset in graphics settings. Although the game reports 0 GB video memory, everything just works. Unfortunately, I can't select a resolution higher than Full HD (1920 x 1200) for some reasons. Selected Proton-5.9-GE-5-ST (Glorious Eggroll) instead of the vanilla Proton 5.0.9 and started the game with

[Please login to see this]

For anyone interested in ML/DL: no issues with Tensorflow or Pytorch either.

Tensorflow:

If you want to get rid off the warning with -1 returned from reading NUMA nodes, issue

PyTorch:

Kudos to Razer for the Core X Chroma supporting Linux out of the box!

Dell XPS 13 9300 (2020) / Razer Core X Chroma / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Triple Fan / Fedora Release 33 @ 5.9.11-200.fc33.x86_64

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
TheOverGrad
(@theovergrad)

I am having trouble with a very similar setup. I am running Ubuntu 20.04 on my Dell XPS 15 9500 connected to a Razer Core X Chroma housing an NVIDIA Founders Edition 1080Ti. When I plugged in the Core, `nvidia-smi` immediately recognized the GPU, but neither my display nor any of the USB peripherals are showing up. Did anything like this happen to you?

non progredi est regredi. Dell XPS 15 9500 w/ Intel i7-10875H + GTX1650, Razer Core X Chroma w/ NVIDIA FE GTX1080 Ti

ReplyQuote
Oleg Höfling
(@oleg_hofling)

Hi @theovergrad, check out my logs for comparison. Might be a different kernel issue due to missing/older drivers. Mine is:

On kernel boot:

On starting up the X session:

Thunderbolt devices (for some reasons, Chroma is listed twice):

Dell XPS 13 9300 (2020) / Razer Core X Chroma / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Triple Fan / Fedora Release 33 @ 5.9.11-200.fc33.x86_64

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: @oleg_hofling

Some eGPUs like the Chroma have two Thunderbolt controllers. The first is for the GPU, the second is for the USB I/O.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
TheOverGrad
(@theovergrad)

Posted by: @joevt
Posted by: @oleg_hofling

Some eGPUs like the Chroma have two Thunderbolt controllers. The first is for the GPU, the second is for the USB I/O.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying that @joevt, I suspected as much but because nothing is being picked up I had no way to confirm.

@oleg_hofling, what command did you use to get that X server log?

with your journalctl command my results are muuuuuch less:

with the boltctl command, my results are similar:

but missing the following lines:

Thoughts?

non progredi est regredi. Dell XPS 15 9500 w/ Intel i7-10875H + GTX1650, Razer Core X Chroma w/ NVIDIA FE GTX1080 Ti

ReplyQuote
Oleg Höfling
(@oleg_hofling)

@theovergrad, I suspect you're missing drivers in your kernel so it doesn't recognize the usb interfaces. What kernel version are you using? Ubuntu usually ships some LTS version which is not updated till the next release. Try using 5.8 and check whether it recognizes the interfaces correctly.

ReplyQuote
Galeon
(@galeon)

@oleg_hofling

I've tried just install rpmfusion drivers and external monitor does not work for me (Fedora 32, ThinkPad X1 6, Razer Core X, RTX 2020 SUPER). When I tried connect Razer with monitor connected to output of the RTX my screen freezes. Do You have dgpu in yout XPS (i do not have)? I am asking because You seems to set up nvidia prime flag.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Oleg Höfling
(@oleg_hofling)

@galeon, no, the XPS doesn't have a discrete GPU. If you mean the prime render offload, I haven't configured it explicitly. I have installed the scripts from https://github.com/claudio-walser/egpu-setup though, to be able to switch between the GPUs from terminal.

ReplyQuote
Galeon
(@galeon)

@oleg_hofling, THX, now works like a charm.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Galeon
(@galeon)

I ended up with creating only one file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf that contain:

External monitor and CUDA works fine as long as I plug and unplug egpu only with the laptop turned off. When I do not have egpu, the manager logs me in by default to wayland, and when I have egpu, the default is X11 (I am writing this because it seemed not obvious to me that I would not have to change it manually).

EDIT: system fedora 33

ReplyQuote
 of  2