2020 13'' Dell XPS 13 9300 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 13'' Dell XPS 13 9300 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Linux [oleg_hofling]  

of  2
  RSS

Oleg Höfling
(@oleg_hofling)

Posted by: @galeon

External monitor and CUDA works fine as long as I plug and unplug egpu only with the laptop turned off.

I can confirm that - a switch between the integrated and external GPU requires a logout from the current session, even if X11 is used in both scenarios. Not a big issue for me, since I don't unplug the laptop anyway. But definitely something to keep in mind if you need to plug the Razer box in and out on the fly.

Dell XPS 13 9300 (2020) / Razer Core X Chroma / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Triple Fan / Fedora Release 33 @ 5.9.11-200.fc33.x86_64

ReplyQuote
Galeon
(@galeon)

Interesting that CUDA works even on wayland session with hot plug/unplug, but only one time.

Not plugged:

[[email protected] ~]$ nvidia-smi
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Plug in - cuda works fine:

[[email protected] gprMax]$ nvidia-smi
Fri Dec 4 11:19:46 2020
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 455.45.01 Driver Version: 455.45.01 CUDA Version: 11.1 |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

Unplug:

Failed to initialize NVML: Unknown Error

Plug-in again:

No devices were found

Not really problem for me, for now, but maybe somehow interesting issue.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
TheOverGrad
(@theovergrad)

I haven't made much progress on my build of late (busy with other stuff), but a large percent of my problems by just for upgrading to a stable kernel above 5.6 because of all of the thunderbolt and usb updates in that kernel build. Currently I am running 5.8.12. The latest "LTS" kernel is 5.4.xxx , which doesn't include a lot of these fixes (I think). May guess is that we will have to wait until Ubuntu 22 (and the equivalent in its Mint/Debian/variants) before you can just out of the box depend on thunderbolt in linux with little-to-no-modification

non progredi est regredi. Dell XPS 15 9500 w/ Intel i7-10875H + GTX1650, Razer Core X Chroma w/ NVIDIA FE GTX1080 Ti

ReplyQuote
tscolari
(@tscolari)

@theovergrad, my personal experience with the Core X Chroma is that the usb weren't usable. They were unreliable, and constantly disconnecting.

I did some research and it seems to be a bandwidth issue (even on windows). The solution for me was to return it and get a Core X (without usb) and buy an usb hub.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  2