Driver issues - Manjaro 21, Intel iGPU in Lenovo T480s, NVIDIA eGPU in Zotac AMP...

Notifications
Clear all

Driver issues - Manjaro 21, Intel iGPU in Lenovo T480s, NVIDIA eGPU in Zotac AMP Box mini (TB3)  

RSS

Deadlock
(@deadlock)

Hi everyone,

Preliminary stuff:

After a total of 3 perfectly fine eGPU setups with the GDC Beast I decided to get rid of the bottleneck of PCIe 2.0 x1 by changing Laptops and buying a TB3 enclosure (Zotac AMP Box mini).
I use a Lenovo T480s with no dGPU, just the Intel graphics and a GTX 1050 Ti as eGPU with a 4K display attached via Display Port.
To my surprise, Manjaro 21 KDE (using Xorg) detected basically everything flawlessly during setup.
I can use the internal display as well as the external 4K display out of the box with open source drivers.

My problem(s):

1. With open source drivers:
    Effects are laggy, YouTube videos are laggy, moving windows is laggy etc.
    Depending on the underlying window, even moving the cursor is laggy.
    Typing this text is laggy.
    Seems like hardware acceleration is missing.
    When I turn off the external display, everything is smooth, probably because Manjaro then switches to just the Intel driver instead of the "video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime" drivers.
  2. With proprietary drivers:
    The external display does not display anything and is not detected, even with the latest 470 Nvidia driver installed.
    Everything I tried so far with proprietary drivers has either led to my GUI not starting or the external display not being detected.
    When the GUI did not start up, I deleted the xorg.conf and restarted the GUI with the result of the external display not being detected.

My goal:

I do not want to game under Linux, just office work. The eGPU is for gaming under Windows and providing output to the 4K display.
Ideally, I want to use the internal screen with the iGPU and the external screen with whatever is the most easy GPU so set it up with. The laptop is not stationary, so I ideally want to be able to run a script that disconnects the eGPU, then disconnect the eGPU and use the laptop as a mobile device without restarting.

What else can/should I do? What output/information do you need?

This is basically the third (edit: 5th) day of me banging my head against this problem, so every hint is very much welcome.

Edit: Additional information:
Outputs:

Spoiler
lspci | grep ' VGA '

Thank you very much,

Deadlock

This topic was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Deadlock
(@deadlock)

Update:

After installing the nvidia 470.63.01 driver and the https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-linux-setup/ubuntu-19-04-easy-to-use-setup-script-for-your-egpu /">eGPU-switcher, I can now use the external display with a little less lag. However, this disables the internal display and the nvidia driver appears to be not loaded:

[Please login to see this]

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Deadlock
(@deadlock)

After a bit of vacation and not working on this for 3 weeks, inxi -G now reads

[Please login to see this]

So: Somehow, the nvidia drivers got loaded? And I seem to be able to use the internal screen as well.

I am very confused because I did literally nothing since the second post and now, three weeks later, it works. Well, I take it.

ReplyQuote