Intel NUC + Razer Core X + Nvidia 960 Setup Issues

Notifications
Clear all

Intel NUC + Razer Core X + Nvidia 960 Setup Issues  

RSS

Eli Gundry
(@eli_gundry)

Hi all, I'm having some issues getting the following setup working 100% in Linux.

Setup

* Intel NUC 8th Gen (NUC8i5BEK)
* Razer Core X
* Nvidia 960

Background

I have this machine setup to dual boot with Windows 10 Pro and Debian Testing. I have successfully got this eGPU setup working in Windows but have run into a lot of headache getting this working in Debian.

Steps

1. I connect the GPU and monitors to eGPU and boot
2. I see the Intel NUC bootscreen
3. It takes me to the GRUB bootscreen where I pick to boot into Linux
4. I enter the passwords to my drives
5. It then runs through all the systemd units starting
6. The screen goes black and unresponsive
7. I disconnect the HDMI cable from my GPU and plug it into the NUC's HDMI port
8. The screen that the HDMI cable is plugged into turns on and I'm able to login

Troubleshooting Steps Taken

1. I followed the Debian guide for setting up the proprietary Nvidia graphics https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
2. I turned off secure boot based upon some Nvidia based systemd unit failures when it's plugged in. This squashed those errors but I'm still not getting output from the GPU.
3. When the GPU is plugged in, it is showing up when I run `lspci` and `nvidia-detect`

Here's some tooling output:

eligundry at nuc-if-you-buc in ~ exited 1 around 🕛 12:00
$ lspci -vnnn | perl -lne 'print if /^\d+\:.+(\[\S+\:\S+\])/' | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Iris Plus Graphics 655 [8086:3ea5] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
07:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] [10de:1401] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

eligundry at nuc-if-you-buc in ~ around 🕛 12:01
$ nvidia-detect
Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
07:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] [10de:1401] (rev a1)

Checking card: NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] (rev a1)
Your card is supported by the default drivers and legacy driver series 390.
It is recommended to install the
nvidia-driver
package.

eligundry at nuc-if-you-buc in ~ around 🕛 12:01
$ nvidia-settings

ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system

Theory

It seems that Debian is preferring to use the Intel integrated graphics instead of the Nvidia eGPU? I don't know how to get past this? Is this actually closer to an Optimius setup for a laptop than it seems?

This topic was modified 12 months ago

Hostname: nuc-if-you-buc
Computer: Intel NUC 8th Gen, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD
GPU: Nvidia 960
Enclosure: Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

@eli_gundry

Start by checking out the posts under "How-to">"Linux" in the top bar.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eli Gundry
(@eli_gundry)

I haven't used a forum in years and forgot to look around. This guide helped me out https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-linux-setup/a-script-to-change-xorg-config/  

(Shameless plug: I devops all my machines, here's how I set it up https://github.com/eligundry/salt.eligundry.com/blob/master/salt/nuc/egpu/init.sls )

Hostname: nuc-if-you-buc
Computer: Intel NUC 8th Gen, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD
GPU: Nvidia 960
Enclosure: Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

No problem, welcome aboard!

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote