Mac mini 2014 late + Nvidia GTX 1060 6G + TB2>TB3 + TB cable + Akitio Node + Gentoo Linux
- Mac min 2014 late (iGPU: Intel® Iris™ Graphics 5100, 8G RAM)
- eGPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6G
- Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
- Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m)
- AKiTiO Node
- sys-boot/refind-0.10.4-r2 (don't call refind-install with --alldrivers, try bless if efibootmgr failed)
- Install refind(--usedefault without --alldrivers, try bless instead of efibootmgr) and nvidia-drivers.
- Power off the mac mini and connect eGPU to it.
- Boot until the refind menu show
- Disconnect eGPU from Mac mini immediately
- Select Gentoo Linux in the refind menu and boot into Gentoo with option pci=hpmemsize=128M,nocrs,realloc
- Connect eGPU to Mac mini again.
- The first hotplug don't work if steps 2-4 are not followed(work if all steps are followed):
pci 0000:0a:00.0: BAR 1: no space for [mem size 0x10000000 64bit pref]
NVRM: This PCI I/O region assigned to your NVIDIA device is invalid:
NVRM: BAR1 is 0M @ 0x0 (PCI:0000:0a:00.0)
NVRM: The system BIOS may have misconfigured your GPU.
nvidia: probe of 0000:0a:00.0 failed with error -1
NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine failed for 1 device(s).
NVRM: None of the NVIDIA graphics adapters were initialized!
Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 FPS: 71.7 Score: 1807 Min FPS: 19.9 Max FPS: 130.9 Platform: Linux 4.19.9-gentoo x86_64 CPU model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4308U CPU @ 2.80GHz (2799MHz) x4 GPU model: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB PCI Express 415.23 (6144MB) x1 Render: OpenGL Mode: 1600x900 8xAA windowed Preset Extreme
That's too bad you couldn't get it plug and play. I'm assuming you tried the other methods on this forum for Linux of just including an xorg config file and authorizing the device and they didn't work?
The nvidia eGPU will be detected by the nvidia drivers and used by Unigine Heaven with xorg conf file similar to yours( https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2012-13-macbook-pro-rx46010gbps-tb1-3-linux-mint-19-build-guide-benchmarks-nu_ninja/) if Working Steps(repeat 3-6 after reboot) are followed.
Yes, other methods without step 3 and step 4 failed with BAR errors.
The eGPU will not work if it is plugged again before reboot.
It seems that the security level is "none" here:
# cat /sys/bus/thunderbolt/devices/domain0/security
# tbtadm topology
│ ├─ Name: Macintosh, Apple Inc.
│ └─ Security level: SL0 (none)
└─ AKiTiO Node, inXtron
├─ Route-string: 0-3
├─ Authorized: Yes
├─ In ACL: No