Potentially stuck on PRIME
- Razer Blade Stealth 2019 (i7, 16GB RAM, Nvidia MX150), Arch Linux & Win 10
- Razer Core v1 (I'm aware of the USB issues)
- AMD Vega 64
When playing DOOM 2016 on this setup (amdgpu kernel modules loaded, both intel graphics and nvidia graphics modules unloaded, MX 150 turned off via bbswitch) I get awful CPU frametimes (25 ms) which results in 40 FPS no matter whether the settings are maxed out, or at the lowest. I believe this indicates a CPU bottleneck, though htop never shows it going over ~50%. In Windows 10, I get over 170 FPS on max settings.
I've tried both the amdgpu and modesetting drivers for the GPU, but neither seem to change anything. I think i might be stuck in some sort of situation where PRIME is forced on, with the frames being copied between buffers like described in the OP for this post. I must be missing something obvious because nothing I've found seems to help.
$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Device" Identifier "amdgpu" Driver "amdgpu" BusID "PCI:10:0:0" #Option "TearFree" "true" #Option "DRI" "3" EndSection
$ xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 1 Provider 0: id: 0x59 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 6 outputs: 4 associated providers: 0 name:Radeon RX Vega @ pci:0000:0a:00.0
So just checking, you're using an external display right? Also, what desktop environment are you using? I recently tried XFCE on top of Ubuntu and had problems with framerates, though I haven't looked deeply into it.
That all seems correct. I have an i3 Manjaro install on my hard drive so I'll look into this and see what it looks like for me.
So I didn't have any problems in i3. Games like Portal and Left 4 Dead ran well over 100 fps so I'm guessing I'm not getting the issues you had. Just for reference here's the xorg.conf I'm using:
Section "Module" Load "modesetting" EndSection Section "Device" Identifier "amdgpu" Driver "amdgpu" BusID "PCI:10:0:0" EndSection
So if that's not working for you that makes me think it's either an Arch or i3 issue I'm not aware of or otherwise maybe something with the internal/MX150. You said you were unloading those kernel modules, for me I have to blacklist both snd_hda_intel and i915 to fully stop the intel graphics from loading.
Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I wasn't able to figure anything out after spending a few more time on it. Nvidia cards work just fine in the eGPU. So I think I'm just going to use one, though I'd rather support AMD.