SO close to having Razer Core X Chroma w/ 2080 Ti working in Ubuntu 20.10 on 201...

Notifications
Clear all

SO close to having Razer Core X Chroma w/ 2080 Ti working in Ubuntu 20.10 on 2017 iMac  

RSS

ac2334
(@ac2334)

Hello,

I am currently in Ubuntu 20.10 with kernel 5.8.0-48-generic and trying to troubleshoot to get my Nvidia driver recognized.

The Razer Core X is detected and I have authorized it in Privacy>Thunderbolt settings (boltctl confirms as well)

I opted to install nvidia-driver-460 (proprietary, tested) through Additional Drivers in Software & Updates

lspci shows the 2080 Ti detected...

..but if I run nvidia-smi I get "NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running."

If I launch the Nvidia X Server app it populates, but only with 3 options (high performance mode, etc.)

What dmesg info can be helpful here to resolve this? I have done my research before posting and I will try different combinations of ideas in GRUB kernel arguments (pcie and ports) as well as egpu switcher and or nvidia prime select..

Should a "tested" Nvidia driver be the best choice in this case?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote