Tutorial: Ubuntu 18.04 / RTX 2080 / Razer Core v1
The problem: I had a working setup with the same hardware but a different GPU (Gigabyte 1060 GTX OC 6G).
When I switched the GPU, I was not able to boot on Windows or Linux: after selecting the OS in grub, the screen switched to
black and nothing happened.
- In my BIOS (XPS 13 9380), I disabled the "Thunderbolt Boot Support". After that, Windows booted ok. But in Ubuntu,
the NVIDIA drivers would not load and I had a strange error in dmesg:
NVRM: BAR1 is 0M @ 0x0
- I removed all the nvidia related packages:
sudo apt-get --purge remove 'nvidia*'
- Add the following kernel parameters in /etc/default/grub:
pcie_ports=native pci=assign-busses,nocrs,realloc iommu=on
- Update grub:
- Install the 440 NVIDIA drivers:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver-440
- At this point, the NVIDIA GPU was recognized and listed in nvidia-smi. But I was stuck in a login loop, presumably because the X server settings were incorrect.
So I installed egpu-switcher:
- Everything works as expected!
I hope it can help others!