eGPU on Linux - Easy-to-use setup script

Notifications
Clear all

eGPU on Linux - Easy-to-use setup script  

of  12
  RSS

niirb
(@niirb)

@hertg, Yes I was using the PPA, it told me that no releases were available when I tried installing it so no binaries must have been it. I decided to go back to 20.04 due to numerous other issues but thanks for releasing them Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
wout
 wout
(@wout)

@hertg Thank you so much for your work on this!

I just received my eGPU (Razer Core X + AMD RX 580) and got it up and running in under an hour. I'm using a Dell XPS 13 9370 with elementary OS 5.1 (based on Ubuntu 18.04). I had to do some fiddling the BIOS settings for Thunderbolt, by enabling Pre-Boot ACL.

Oddly, I also had to specifically define the internal and external GPU. Because for some reason, the GPU was laggy before I did so. It felt like the Intel GPU was used through the eGPU. And aside from the same slowness, it also produced artefacts and behaved strangely when resizing windows.

But now all is well. It's like I've got a brand new computer. Smile

White and Gold Dell XPS 13 9370 i7/16GB/512GB with elementary OS 5.1 + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
jbj
 jbj
(@jbj)

Thanks for developing this script!

I am trying to get it working, and at this point I a not sure where I have to debug, so hoping a push in the right direction Smile

I am using a T430 with internal NVIDIA card

Operating system is Ubuntu Mate 20.04

via ExpressCard, I connected EXP GDC Beast 8.5c to Externally add AMD/ATI Curacao PRO Radeon R7 370/R9 270/370 (I have 300W PSU for it)

without doing anything I could utilize the HDMI out from the external graphics card, but I could not find the card in the Ubuntu Mate Nvidia menu, here only the internal card was visible.

when configuring the egpu switcher software, I could detect and select the external card, but when rebooting my T430, the screen goes blank just before arriving at the login screen.

with a few searches, I discovered that the error message I got is related to the graphical userinterface, and I can get text-based interface with tty1 by pressing Ctrl Alt F1.

Could this be related to the egpu switcher software or should I debug somewhere else?

best greetings

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  12