Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
2011 15" Dell XPS L502x (GT525M) [2nd,4C,Q] - Which eGPU will be best fit - Nvid...

2011 15" Dell XPS L502x (GT525M) [2nd,4C,Q] - Which eGPU will be best fit - Nvidia GTx 1060 vs AMD Radeon Rx 590?  

RSS

lokendra
(@lokendra)

Hi everyone!

Below is my system specification:

CPU : i5-2410m @ 2.30GHz
iGPU : Intel HD 3000
dGPU : GT525m (1GB vram)
RAM : 6GB DDR3
Screen Resolution : 1366x768 (720p)

I am looking for an ideal choice for adding an eGPU, but not sure which one would be the best fit.

There are couple of builds mentioned in this wonderful forum for my system, but all of them are related with Nvidia eGPU only. For e.g. Guide by Jaswant, Guide by TheGermanGuy, Guide by Felipe.Skeeter, Guide by Himansh512

My system works on Nvidia Optimus Technology. So, initially my doubt is whether an AMD Radeon GPUs like Rx 570 / 580 / 590 would be even supported? I am preferring AMD because of it's low cost and high performance against the Nvidia as of now. I have checked some youtube reviews and found that AMD cards outperform Nvidia pretty easily without even overclocking while maintaining a low temperature.

In my search, i found some related builds like Guide by Golden Ratio, Guide by Doink but because those are different laptops, i am not sure it will workout in my case. Can someone help me out in this one, which one eGPU should i go for... Nvidia GTx 1060 or AMD Rx 570 / 580 / 590?

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

If you want to use the internal monitor, stick to NVidia. If you plan to use an external monitor, AMD becomes an option. To be honest, I am not sure I'd pay that much for a video card for your system. If you can pick up a used GTX660/670 or a GTX750Ti on the cheap, that will be enough for a CPU that old and weak.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
lokendra
(@lokendra)

@yukikaze

Thanks for the suggestion. I was after a better GPU because down the line i am going to buy some powerful Laptop with a better configuration and at that time i don't want to go through the hassle of selling and purchasing a new GPU. Back in 2012, when i bought this laptop, it was a beast and most recommended one.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

@lokendra - "Down the line", the GTX1060 is likely not going to cut it anyway, so I don't think it is a great idea to attempt to future proof in this fashion. That said, between the options you've listed, I'd grab the GTX1060 is you plan to use the internal monitor, but overall I highly recommend you pick up an external monitor - Performance would be markedly better. Then I'd get a used RX580 or RX480.

Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
lokendra
(@lokendra)

@yukikaze

I followed your suggestion...

Bought an Acer KG271 Cbmidpx TN Panel 1920x1080 144 Hz monitor (Because that was the cheapest 27 inch display), upgraded RAM to 16 GB, changed processor from Intel i5 2410m to an used Intel i7 2820qm and purchased an used Zotac GTX 1060 3GB AMP Edition. Will that setup help me reducing the bottleneck and get the best out of this 9 year old system?

This post was modified 7 days ago

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

@lokendra - Yes, it would. Just don't expect that you will hit 144fps.

ReplyQuote