Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
2013 15" MBP w/ 750m - eGPU & Enclosure Guidance

2013 15" MBP w/ 750m - eGPU & Enclosure Guidance  

RSS

23mrtbone
(@23mrtbone)
Eminent Member

After a lot of research...a lot. I would like to ask anyone(s) help or opinions about a few options I am fumbling with on purchasing for my 2013 rMBP w/ 750m. 

Current status: I don't care so much about using the eGPU for the Mac side as I do 80% of my work and 100% of my games on my Windows 10 side of the computer. I have my system setup with an Asus PB278q which is a 2560x1440 resolution pro art monitor, but I use it mostly in 1920x1080 resolution for games. I have read that people use their eGPU's with external monitors but I want to make sure that I can use both my Macs screen and the external at the same time WITHOUT DUPLICATING THE SCREENs but with extending them. If there is a way to use the eGPU for just the external and the dGPU for just the internal...I'd love that. 

My other concern is the amount of CPU overhead there is with the eGPU, I know playing games is fine but I do record/stream from time-to-time and I also work in some heavy applications which do fine but may not like the extra CPU calculations needed for the CPU to talk to the eGPU and back in determining it's PCI-Express...ness. Also, I know with thunderbolt 3 there will be about a 15-20% degradation in a cards performance and I expect with thunderbolt 2 (which is mine) it to be 20-30% degradation in a card. Knowing that, getting something like a 980 or 1080 may seem pointless for the price-to-performance benefit. Which is a bit part of this help. Whats the best setup for TB2 to benefit the best potential for cost and something that is intended for really at most a year and a half just to better my graphics a bit...because I plan to get a decked out workstation for my stuff this time next year or next summer perhaps.

Bottom line, here are my options I'm fumbling with (all Akitio stuff):

1) Thunder 2 or 3(w/ TB3-TB2 adapter) with a 1050ti and the updated 120watt power cord (since the Thunder 2 and 3 are rated to accept 120 watts versus the provided one. 

2) Thunder 2 or 3 with a 1060 mini or 1070 mini. The downfall to this is the extra power of course and I know what to do to provide it with the power...but, there isn't really a nice solution externally. I don't mind the Dell's power solution but the connection between the Dell and the inside I've seen some really nice solutions and some....really ugly ones lol

3) The Node with any card. I know for me the Node (like the Thunder 3) would require the TB3 to TB2 adapter. Which is fine...but for my Macbook Pro model I have seen a lot of people have issues with it and the Node with NVIDIA cards...has there been an easy fix for this? I like the Thunder 3 too and since it is setup like the Node with it's TB3 connection, has anyone with my MBP ran into the same problems as they are having with the Node?

It almost seems like the simple and clean solution for a 4-6x boost over my 750m would be to get the 1050ti SC with the Thunder 2... but I like that the Thunder 3 and Node have TB3 just in case of any potential upgrade later?

Thoughts?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

I am in the same situation as you are... I would want to use a case with thunderbolt 3 but nothing shows it is actually possible. I didn't see any build of a macbook pro w/ 750m with akitio thunder3 or akitio node...

Probably you already know/see it, mac_editor and some users are trying to solve the detection problem on these macbook models coupled with the Akitio Node (with dGPU 750m) in these threads...

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/macbook-pro-2014-15-gt750m-not-detecting-akitio-node-in-windows-10/#post-5648

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2013-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx106016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win10-offline/#post-4966

where the second is an example of a build which is working (but with akitio thunder2)...

Maybe the solution will be to go for an AMD card (although I would prefer NVIDIA) or to accept it is not gonna work and go for the akitio thunder 2. I think we can be thankful that the akitio thunder2 is working on these macbook models. This 750m is really a pain...

2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

ReplyQuote
23mrtbone
(@23mrtbone)
Eminent Member

Yeah I've seen those posts. I don't really have a problem with the Thunder2 so long as I don't have to stress over any finagling with extra things in Windows 10 to get it to work. Like I said, I care less about using the eGPU on the mac side as I am the windows side. Seems more people have success with the Thunder2 indeed on this particular model. I'm like you, would rather do NVIDIA than AMD in this case lol

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
23mrtbone
(@23mrtbone)
Eminent Member

For example...is it possible to have the Thunder2 plus 10XX whatever card and have both internal & external screens running in expanded desktop mode, without having to worry about installing rEFind or gpu-switch??

ReplyQuote
matthieuv
(@matthieuv)

you can use expanded desktop indeed, as both screens will be detected by Windows, one on each GPU.

I've posted a complet workaround here :  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2013-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx106016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win10-offline/

and a video tutorial there : 

For this specific Macbook model and an Akitio Thunder2.

You will need rEFInd and gpu-switch to do so but it remains the easier way in my opinion

ReplyQuote
23mrtbone
(@23mrtbone)
Eminent Member

Posted by: matthieuv

you can use expanded desktop indeed, as both screens will be detected by Windows, one on each GPU.

I've posted a complet workaround here :  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2013-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx106016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win10-offline/

For this specific Macbook model and an Akitio Thunder2.

You will need rEFInd and gpu-switch to do so but it remains the easier way in my opinion

Oh yeah, I believe I have seen this but I shall dive into it again. Thanks for the info on it. Also, this question is similar to the resolution/question I was asking here in this thread:  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/help-cant-enable-g-sync-akitio-node-tb3-tb2-mbp-mid-2015-amd-rx-m370x-dell-s2417dg/#post-6157

I didn't want the eGPU to bottleneck any if it has to drive the internal display too...as long as it's not a huge bottleneck...since I am mainly using the external display for my main display and the internal is just secondary applications viewing while working or gaming. Is rEFind a necessity to install? Or even is it confirmed that the iGPU has to be activated to get this work at all? Like I said in the thread I linked, "Ideally" it would be great for the dGPU to drive the internal and the eGPU to drive the external...but if this is going to cause me to have to think each time I boot or shutdown then I'll just do whatever is the easiest and less cost effective for cpu bottle-necking.

If I made any sense! 

ReplyQuote
matthieuv
(@matthieuv)

I can do some tests tomorrow but, in my opinion, if you don't use rEFInd, Windows could freeze at startup or, if not, cause an error 12 in the eGPU, with insufficient resources because of the dGPU.

You can accelerate both internal and external display with the eGPU, using the iGPU for the internal screen, but in any case, by disabling the dGPU.

I'll try to record a small video with the expanded desktop tomorrow, I'm also curious about the performances

ReplyQuote
23mrtbone
(@23mrtbone)
Eminent Member

I can do some tests tomorrow but, in my opinion, if you don't use rEFInd, Windows could freeze at startup or, if not, cause an error 12 in the eGPU, with insufficient resources because of the dGPU.

You can accelerate both internal and external display with the eGPU, using the iGPU for the internal screen, but in any case, by disabling the dGPU.

I'll try to record a small video with the expanded desktop tomorrow, I'm also curious about the performances   

Wicked! Thanks bud!

ReplyQuote
matthieuv
(@matthieuv)

I did some tests today, here is the video : 

For this video, I tested with rEFInd, with the dGPU disabled and the eGPU used for both screens. You can play fullscreen on each screen while using another application on the second display. You can drag your game from a display to another, with different performances, related to Optimus. I made a comparison on Life is Strange and COD Infinite Warfare.

At first, I thought  that rEFInd was necessary but it can indeed be avoided !If Windows doesn't see the iGPU, the eGPU doesn't return the error code 12.

Even now, it seems that the eGPU is processing the game, whether it is displayed on the internal or external screen. So gpu-switch and rEFInd could be avoided, Optimus could still be used. I'm a little bit lost and don't really want to re-format to confirm that for the moment 😮

23mrtbone liked
ReplyQuote
23mrtbone
(@23mrtbone)
Eminent Member

Interesting! It's almost as if it could literally be plug-n-play, of course the eGPU would have to be plugged in at the beginning of a system startup. Thanks for the video and the image!! I have been looking for proof of this or at least a possibility of proof. 

I don't think you ought to reformat to prove this by any means at all since what you have works for you! Haha

What I should do is try this out from the get-go since I haven't gotten an eGPU yet. I hope I wouldn't have to reinstall Windows myself for anything as I have had Windows installed since 2013 lol 

Thanks again for the test! 

ReplyQuote
23mrtbone
(@23mrtbone)
Eminent Member

@matthieuv I just had a thought, since the GeForce drivers are the same for all GT/GTX cards, I wonder if when I attach the eGPU equipped with 1050ti or 1060 if it'll be recognized right off since I already have the latest NVIDIA drivers from the 750m?!? Hmmmm 

ReplyQuote
reptilianbrain
(@reptilianbrain)
Trusted Member

I am in the same boat and am thinking of going Node + RX 480 and just settling on that for a couple years. I mean the boost will be so significant that I wouldn't even think about upgrade for a while.

I could even do RX 580 when it comes out this April, but, tbh I think RX 480 can cover all light-gaming needs (especially after 750M). 

I'd get Nvidia card if I had G-sync monitor, but I don't. 

Am I right the AMD route is more or less smooth sailing with MPB2013+ NOde? 

MBP 2013 750M + Akitio [email protected]RX570 (OSX) & GTX1080 (Bootcamp)

ReplyQuote
matthieuv
(@matthieuv)

@23mrtbone I did that the first time, the graphic card was installed pretty quickly but I got a black screen after rebooting, with only the mouse. This was probably related to the conflict between the dGPU and eGPU.

IMG 4315b

ReplyQuote
23mrtbone
(@23mrtbone)
Eminent Member

@23mrtbone I did that the first time, the graphic card was installed pretty quickly but I got a black screen after rebooting, with only the mouse. This was probably related to the conflict between the dGPU and eGPU.

IMG 4315b

Ah I gotcha, and you resolved this black screen how again? Unhooking the eGPU, start up, and install gpu-switch?

ReplyQuote