2013 MacBook Air Upgrade – A Little URGENT Help Please?

Notifications
Clear all

2013 MacBook Air Upgrade – A Little URGENT Help Please?  

RSS

TheMisterMcC
(@themistermcc)

Note: Why I say "urgent" is because I have to buy one of these parts on an auction on eBay.

Hello eGPU community!

I've been investigating eGPU setups for a few hours now and I think I've put together a parts list:

The whole thing will total to about $550.

MacBook Air specs:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4250U
  • RAM: 4gb 1600mhz DDR3
  • iGPU: Intel HD 5000

My plan: I'll Bootcamp Windows 10 (preferably an older version without driver issues) on an external drive (the PNY Pro Elite). I'll connect the TB 3-to-2 cable to the eGPU enclosure and connect the adapter to a TB2 cable, which I'll of course connect to my MacBook.

What I plan to do is do some occasional 3D animating and Minecraft (with shader mods).

I've done some homework:

• I know that there is a slight bottleneck through older Thunderbolt ports (and just Thunderbolt in general).
  • I know that Minecraft will run very smooth with 2gb of RAM allocated and good GPU, CPU, etc. ( )
  • I know that Bootcamping has it's little specifics, and that it will be harder to set up. But I'll work through it!

I just have a few questions.

• Will a TB1 Bootcamped Mac (such as my MacBook Air) even work for an eGPU?
  • Will I even be able to run something close to this?
  • Will this even be worth the money?
  • Wow I just realized I really like lists.

Sorry, guys, for the overload. And thank you thank you thank you THANK YOU guys in advance!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote