2013 MacBook Air Upgrade – A Little URGENT Help Please?
Note: Why I say "urgent" is because I have to buy one of these parts on an auction on eBay.
Hello eGPU community!
I've been investigating eGPU setups for a few hours now and I think I've put together a parts list:
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550 eGPU enclosure – https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonnet-eGFX-Breakaway-Box-550-GPU-550W-TB3-Thunderbolt-3-eGPU-enclosure-No-GPU/264709967496
- Windows 10 Home OEM Key
- PNY Pro Elite 250 GB Portable Solid State Drive
- Apple Thunderbolt cable (2.0 m)
- Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 Super Windforce OC 4G Graphics Card
The whole thing will total to about $550.
MacBook Air specs:
- CPU: Intel Core i5-4250U
- RAM: 4gb 1600mhz DDR3
- iGPU: Intel HD 5000
- OS: MacOS Catalina 10.15.4
My plan: I'll Bootcamp Windows 10 (preferably an older version without driver issues) on an external drive (the PNY Pro Elite). I'll connect the TB 3-to-2 cable to the eGPU enclosure and connect the adapter to a TB2 cable, which I'll of course connect to my MacBook.
What I plan to do is do some occasional 3D animating and Minecraft (with shader mods).
I've done some homework:
- I know that there is a slight bottleneck through older Thunderbolt ports (and just Thunderbolt in general).
- I know that Minecraft will run very smooth with 2gb of RAM allocated and good GPU, CPU, etc. ( )
- I know that Bootcamping has it's little specifics, and that it will be harder to set up. But I'll work through it!
I just have a few questions.
- Will a TB1 Bootcamped Mac (such as my MacBook Air) even work for an eGPU?
- Will I even be able to run something close to this?
- Will this even be worth the money?
- Wow I just realized I really like lists.
Sorry, guys, for the overload. And thank you thank you thank you THANK YOU guys in advance!