2017 15" mbp: a couple of questions before diving in

Notifications
Clear all

2017 15" mbp: a couple of questions before diving in  

RSS

Maximus
(@maximus)
Eminent Member

Dear forum readers, I have been lurking on here for a while, but i finally decided that i should take the plunge and buy one of those handy dandy egpu's.

I will be using it primarily for games (1440 x 3440 ultrawide) such as project cars, csgo and payday 2. I want to be able to run these games at 60 fps on visually pleasing settings (high preferred, but medium will do). Which egpu case / gpu combination will give me the least amount of headache?

specs:

mid 2017 15" mbp

2,9 ghz i7 7820HQ
16 GB ram
amd pro 560 4gb

It would be nice if the egpu had some usb connectivity for my steering wheel, mouse etc. but i can live with using an extra dongle.

Thanks for your time,

Maximus

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Get a sonnet breakaway box 550w and a 1080ti. U won't regret.

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
Maximus
(@maximus)
Eminent Member

sounds awesome, though for the 1080ti i would need to sell my kidney 😉

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box is a sweet spot for your intended use. Nvidia cards have less issues with error 12 in Boot Camp and using an external monitor will extract the most performance out of the eGPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

harshw liked
ReplyQuote
Maximus
(@maximus)
Eminent Member

thank you, is there a guide for this setup yet, and which software-extra's do i need?

ReplyQuote
dstathop
(@dstathop)

I have the same laptop and bought a Sonnet 550 and paired it with a VEGA-64.  

ReplyQuote
dario
(@dario)

Posted by: dstathop

I have the same laptop and bought a Sonnet 550 and paired it with a VEGA-64.  

And how does it work? Did You test it with bootcamp too?

2015 15" Macbook Pro M370X + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 550 via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13.1

ReplyQuote
dstathop
(@dstathop)

I don't have bootcamp on this machine, so I can't comment.

For my purposes the VEga64 with the sonnet 550 was plug and play.  The only problem I had was with discord.  Discord uses OpenGL acceleration and that causes my egpu setup to want to constantly reboot.  I fixed that by disabling hardware acceleration within discord (this is a setting in the the discord preferences).

I can't run the MacBook in clamshell mode, since it causes the egpu to lockup the computer.  If the MacBook goes to sleep the egpu blank screens.  So, I am forced to set the energy saver settings to never put the MacBook to sleep.

Also the VEGA64 does not show up under system info.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

I have the exact same laptop and went with the AORUS 1070 box, loving it, working well.

Set up was not too hard, few hiccups however  follow itsage's bootcamp guide and you'll be fine. Although remember his guide is for using internal display, if you're in external display only its even easier. 

2019 13" MacBook Pro (i7 & 16GB RAM) - MacOS + Win10
Late 2012 Mac Mini - MacOS + Win10
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

Massdrop and other sites usually have sales where they're reasonably priced. But yes - thanks to the cryptominers, Radeon and GTX 10xxx cards are just too freakin expensive 🙁

But to second what itsage said - if you go with the AORUS AGB 1070 or 1080 - you can't go wrong. As long as you're in Bootcamp, you're fine. I'm playing Prey with the AGB 1080 @ 4K and it's usually above 60 fps all the time. I also have my Logitech G613/603  combo connected to the USB hub and it's been fine. Can't wait for NVidia to release proper macOS drivers ...

ReplyQuote
dstathop
(@dstathop)

The only reason I went with the VEGA-64 is that I was able to find it for $499, which is a lot cheaper than any of the Nvidia boards I was looking at.  

ReplyQuote
chaosmage
(@chaosmage)
Eminent Member

Posted by: dstathop

The only reason I went with the VEGA-64 is that I was able to find it for $499, which is a lot cheaper than any of the Nvidia boards I was looking at.  

oh dude, where? i can not find it cheaper than 630$

ReplyQuote