Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
2018 15" MacBook Pro

2018 15" MacBook Pro  

RSS

(@eltocino)

So I have planned the following setup:
15" Macbook Pro
Mantiz MZ-02 with a GTX1080

I'm planning a one-cable-setup and I don't want to use the internal display.
Mainly gonna use it in macOS but will use Win10 for some gaming.

The setup should be plug and play when not intending to use the internal display right? I just need to run the purge-wrangler script in macOS and everything else should be easy going.
With the internal display not in use I also won't have to screw around with the PCI-lanes right?

Should be looking good in my eyes but I'm grateful for any advises 🙂

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Hey,

Your setup looks fine. I have pretty much the same here. The only problem is that when I used the USBs + Ethernet from the Mantiz Venus with GPU, on the latest firmware I experienced some mouse freezing while gaming when it gets hot. I think if you ask John (from Mantiz) for the older firmware that doesn't happen, but you get a slight slow performance from the GPU itself.

The ideal solution is that you buy another Thunderbolt 3 Dock (I recommend the Plugable Thunderbolt 3 or Calldigit TS3 Plus) and plug it in the other side of your Macbook Pro.

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
(@eltocino)

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking the same to get a backup dock for macOS use if I have problems with the nVidia eGPU.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
taelvin
(@taelvin)

Posted by: Rycco

Hey,

Your setup looks fine. I have pretty much the same here. The only problem is that when I used the USBs + Ethernet from the Mantiz Venus with GPU, on the latest firmware I experienced some mouse freezing while gaming when it gets hot. I think if you ask John (from Mantiz) for the older firmware that doesn't happen, but you get a slight slow performance from the GPU itself.

The ideal solution is that you buy another Thunderbolt 3 Dock (I recommend the Plugable Thunderbolt 3 or Calldigit TS3 Plus) and plug it in the other side of your Macbook Pro.

@Rycco is the mouse freezing still and slowing when IO's are used still a problem on the Mantiz Venus. I am researching my new set-up for 2018 MacBook Pro and going through forum posts trying to see what people are recommending. The Mantiz Venus and Razer Core X seem to be high on the list.

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

@taelvin I'm not the most technical person on eGPUs here, but here's what I remember concluding:

On the older Mantiz Venus firmware (available if you ask John Mantiz I believe), it would always separate a % of the bandwidth on the eGPU connection for the peripherals (USB, ethernet, etc). So mouse/other stuff would work properly, and there was a slight low performance on the GPU itself (I remember it didn't translated into little FPS drop). 

They released a new firmware to make it dynamic (so it would only use some bandwidth for USB/other stuff if you are actually connecting something). This is the firmware that I have, and its where I experience some mouse lag when Mantiz gets hot.

So, in a nutshell you could ask for the older firmware and I believe you would be good to go. Another option (I prefer) is to give up the one cable to rule them all solution and get another thunderbolt 3 dock to use on the opposite ports. I recommend the Plugable Thunderbolt 3 or the TS3 Plus Caldigit.

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote