Notifications
Clear all

2018 Mac Mini + eGPU  

of  23
  RSS

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

In the same boat. I have an i7 Mac mini in my basket. I’m not sure I’d buy it if I didn’t already have a green and egpu, but that’s a did question...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
rvyne
(@rvyne)
Eminent Member

I wondering how do you activate the eGPU on this tiny little machine?  I always hot plug on my MBP do you actualy use internal display on this?

instead of eGPU  -> DP/HDMI -> monitor?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: rvyne

I wondering how do you activate the eGPU on this tiny little machine?  I always hot plug on my MBP do you actualy use internal display on this?

instead of eGPU  -> DP/HDMI -> monitor?

With 2014 Mac mini on Windows, both the eGPU and internal display interface (HDMI) needed to be connected to get an AMD card working (don’t remember if UEFI or legacy mode).

UEFI boot screen would be great.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

I never even considered things might be easier with AMD cards and Mac minis... I'm going to hold off purchasing and see how the dust settles - I imagine someone here will give one a test, not sure I am brave enough.

---

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
zmyslony
(@zmyslony)
Eminent Member

@angrypeanut Error 12 was fixed with the final version of Mojave, try updating your OSX and it should work just fine.

@eightarmedpet We should wait and see the first reviews. I wonder if Apple will add some more CPU upgrade options. 
It is super cool that Mac Mini has standard desktop CPU, not a mobile version, so even i3 or i5 versions might be much better than our current builds. Also I hope that cooling will be much better than on MacBook Pro

Mac Mini is probably the biggest surprise of this year.

13" MacBook Pro + MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Duke (Razer Core X)

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

100% agree but then I’m beginning to question an egpu set up with a desktop - why not just a proper desktop? I like the portability or a laptop coupled with egpu power, with the mini for only have the latter. Hmmm...

---

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

This is Apple's new pricing strategy. Even though the base price is $799, the configuration most would want is now at least $999. There's pent up demand in the first year but eventually sales will dwindle. Apple will then have reasons to axe the Mac mini. If they wanted it around long terms the Mac mini would have a complete redesign.

External graphics card has great appeal amongst laptop users. I'm not so sure about full-time desktop use. NUC-type systems are great candidates but when they cost as much as a proper desktop the value proposition is no longer there. 

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

Interesting opinion on Apples strategy, to be fair its a full on redesign, just in the same case, not that what you say doesnt make sense... 

I'm torn... the part of a computer that dates the quickest is the GPU so having it separate still makes sense, but not as much sense as a normal tower... I wonder what the Pro will bring? I worry only Xeon options - for me the Mac mini with an i7 or even i5 is all I need + a GPU.

---

ReplyQuote
bluetech
(@bluetech)
Eminent Member

Hello egpu.io-Forum,

i am bluetech from Germany.

I hope that it is possible to use other eGPU-Builds, than the blackmagic eGpu.

I do not know how eGPU works, but these new T2-Secure-Chip sounds bad for nice cheats.

Best regards,
Bluetech

HexaMacMini/32Gb/512gb/10Gbit/s
...is waiting for eGPU-Power@Mojave

jangoloti liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@bluetech The 2018 Mac mini will work with other eGFX enclosures just fine.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  23