Notifications
Clear all

2018 Mac Mini + eGPU  

of  23
  RSS

Angrypeanut
(@angrypeanut)

Thank you for the info @zmyslony but I m running ,Mojave and even tried the automated EFI method yesterday and still get error 12

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
idontbyte
(@idontbyte)

I am very tempted by the Mac mini 2018 as I'm currently running an i7 MacBook Pro 13 with a Vega 64 Strix, however when I close the lid of my MacBook and only use the display through the EGPU I drop about 30% performance so I can only presume this will be the case with the Mac mini 24/7.

I may have to wait and see what the benchmarks show..

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@idontbyte That's not normal. Can you share additional information of your setup? Is the external monitor set as Primary display?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
idontbyte
(@idontbyte)

Posted by: itsage

@idontbyte That's not normal. Can you share additional information of your setup? Is the external monitor set as Primary display?

Hi, my build here -  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2016-i7-13-macbook-pro-2016-with-vega-64-strix/

In Windows I can only run with laptop screen open otherwise system crashes. In OSX performance reduces when I use clamshell mode in all 3d applications, I assume to make clamshell + eGPU work in OSX they had to implement something slow.. I hope this doesn't affect non-laptops but I have no idea.

External display is my primary monitor in all cases.

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Coded Games
(@coded-games)

I thought the Mac mini was pretty interesting. I currently have a 6 core 2013 Mac Pro with a Vega 56 eGPU and briefly thought about getting one. I would be interested in seeing how well a 6 core Mac mini with a Vega 56 eGPU would compare to my current setup.

I'd like to upgrade to something with Thunderbolt 3 eventually but I think I'll just give it another year. Hopefully the next Mac Pro will be released by then.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
DaWoon Jeong
(@sunshinedw)

I have the ultrafine 5k monitors and will buy mac mini. But, I'm seriously thinking about selling 5k monitors, because there are not exist to connect 5k and eGPU.
I want to use the eGPU in windows gaming.

How do I connect 5k with MacMini?
1. 5k - (TB3) - MacMini - (TB3) - eGPU? 
2. MacMini - (TB3) - eGPU - (TB3) - 5k?
In the method 2, As I know, There is only one option(BlackMagic eGPU).

If the method 1 is possible and there are not loss in bandwidth or performance, I will buy that immediately.
If not, I will sell 5k of damned and buy another monitor with dp port. 😡

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Check my builds - link in signature, for my experience with using the 5k in windows for gaming. 

Long story short - it’s fine.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
DaWoon Jeong
(@sunshinedw)

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Check my builds - link in signature, for my experience with using the 5k in windows for gaming. 

Long story short - it’s fine.

Connection : eGPU - (TB3) - MacMini - (TB3) - 5K
It is fine without performance loss.

Did I understand correctly?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

There is prob some performance loss, would need someone smarter than me to run the numbers, but it works fine for me.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
DanHC
(@danhc)
Eminent Member

Posted by: idontbyte
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

There is prob some performance loss, would need someone smarter than me to run the numbers, but it works fine for me.

Theoretically at 5K the GPU will be sending back 19 GBPS for display so your GPU will be throttled to just slightly over Thunderbolt 2 speeds which should give you a good idea (check benchmarks) what your performance will be like.

If the 5k display signal generated by the eGPU is being pass through DP channel of TB3 to the Mac then pass on to the 5K display by another thunderbolt controller (ruling out Mac with only one TB controller (e.g. Macbook Pro 13) , then what you have said would be true. 

However, looking at the implementation of TB3, 22Gbps is the maximum bandwidth of pci-e lanes (please see the above image).
I am guessing that the 5k display image generated by the eGPU is going to get sent back through thunderbolt's pci-e bandwidth (the same 22Gbps), not a separate DP channel that could utilize the remaining 10Gbps; Which means 22Gbps minus around 19Gbps, making not much bandwidth left (3Gbps) for the operation of eGPU.

Of course, the above is worst-case scenario, when it comes to pci-e communication, the display driver might implement some sort of compression to minimize bandwidth use when sending video back.

Could someone confirms my above theory please, I am positive but not 100% sure. Thanks

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX Vega FE @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + Win10 [build link]  

idontbyte liked
ReplyQuote
 of  23