2018 Mac Mini for eGPU  

Page 5 / 5 Prev
  RSS

SpecOps
(@specops)
November 9, 2018 4:03 pm  

I can confirm eGPU works on the 2018 Mac Mini in BootCamp (Windows 10) without any problems.
I'm using a PowerColor Gaming Station with a Vega 56 Nano.

ReplyQuote
idontbyte
(@idontbyte)
November 9, 2018 4:35 pm  
Posted by: anethema

Actually considering the circle on the bottom is only a press fit, a neat part to model would be a 3D printed circle that press  fit in and has a mount for like a 120mm fan.

Kind of like this:

The 120mm fan would screw into those holes and the legs keep it off the table. The round part coming towards the viewer would fit into the mini's provision for its circle base. This is like a mockup I made in like a minute, it would obviously look a lot nicer in the end. Provision maybe for a filter etc.

But you get the idea. It would get a lot of air into that case.

Nice job, keep us posted on this one, I've got a 3d printer if anyone needs one made when it's finalised.

DanHC and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 9, 2018 4:43 pm  

Great concept @anethema but are we putting the Mac mini on a pedestal now?   😀

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

82 external GPU build guides

mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
expensivefruit
(@expensivefruit)
Eminent Member
November 9, 2018 5:17 pm  

@anethema great idea. If someone is able to design and print this I'd definitely buy it with my Mac mini.

ReplyQuote
DanHC
(@danhc)
Eminent Member
November 9, 2018 5:27 pm  

Another way to do the cooling would be to put a fan at the exhaust and keep sucking air out. (Vacuum fan at exhaust)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KLIM-Cool-Laptop-Cooler-Performance/dp/B01IF2CP1G

But then will it damage the cooling fan inside, for example say the internal fan has a maximum RPM of 4000, then if we seal of the exhaust and suck air out so fast that the internal fan get accelerated to 10000RPM........

ReplyQuote
DanHC
(@danhc)
Eminent Member
November 9, 2018 5:41 pm  

Actually considering the circle on the bottom is only a press fit, a neat part to model would be a 3D printed circle that press  fit in and has a mount for like a 120mm fan.

Kind of like this:

The 120mm fan would screw into those holes and the legs keep it off the table. The round part coming towards the viewer would fit into the mini's provision for its circle base. This is like a mockup I made in like a minute, it would obviously look a lot nicer in the end. Provision maybe for a filter etc.

But you get the idea. It would get a lot of air into that case.

This Could definitely work..

https://nicholasgarofalo.com/m3-mount-for-mac-mini/

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 9, 2018 5:43 pm  

Guys, please post cooling ideas to a new topic under here -  https://egpu.io/forums/gpu-monitor-peripherals/

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

82 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Ztun
 Ztun
(@ztun)
November 9, 2018 6:04 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

@ztun Here's something you can try. Turn off the Mac mini and connect the LG 27UD88 monitor directly to the RX Vega 56 eGPU (either through DisplayPort or HDMI). Make sure the Thunderbolt 3 connection between Mac mini and eGPU is through TB3 closest to HDMI port on the Mac mini. Power the computer on and wait to see whether Windows desktop shows up on the LG monitor.

Unfortunately, this did not work.  The monitor did not detect a connection, just a blank screen.  Urgh...this is certainly going to eat up my weekend.  =)

ReplyQuote
Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Trusted Member
November 9, 2018 6:08 pm  

Thermal management is a concern on the 2018 Mac mini for sure. Here's my i5 Mac mini running Prime95 for less than 10 minutes.

You repasted it right, when I’m not wrong, hmm weird, it should be some improvement there. Prime95 isn’t Problem for 8750H stay always 70ish unless I OC the gpu with gaming mode, though it’s still on 80ish on prime95. Maybe the only thing to settle it down with limiting clock lower and disabling turbo boost.
I am considering getting one, got access 10% to all Apple products, damn I hate them :mrgreen: confusing to get this, MacBook Air 2018, IPad Pro 11 or iphone Xr, all needs money money 😈

ReplyQuote
expensivefruit
(@expensivefruit)
Eminent Member
November 9, 2018 6:33 pm  

On the recommendation of @itsage, I have started a thermal solutions thread for the 2018 Mac Mini here.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Ztun
 Ztun
(@ztun)
November 9, 2018 8:08 pm  
Posted by: SpecOps

I can confirm eGPU works on the 2018 Mac Mini in BootCamp (Windows 10) without any problems.
I'm using a PowerColor Gaming Station with a Vega 56 Nano.

@SpecOps  Can you please describe how you set it up?  Which thunderbolt port are you utilizing for the eGPU?

ReplyQuote
DanHC
(@danhc)
Eminent Member
November 9, 2018 8:11 pm  

@Ztun

What's your Windows 10 version and build?

I will have my i7 arriving on Tuesday, and I have a Vega FE to pair it with.

ReplyQuote
Ztun
 Ztun
(@ztun)
November 9, 2018 8:30 pm  

@DanHC  Version 1803, build 17134.1

ReplyQuote
codices
(@codices)
November 9, 2018 10:07 pm  

@ztun Here's something you can try. Turn off the Mac mini and connect the LG 27UD88 monitor directly to the RX Vega 56 eGPU (either through DisplayPort or HDMI). Make sure the Thunderbolt 3 connection between Mac mini and eGPU is through TB3 closest to HDMI port on the Mac mini. Power the computer on and wait to see whether Windows desktop shows up on the LG monitor.

What is the reason for using the TB3 port closest to the HDMI port? Mine is working best connected the the TB3 port opposite of the HDMI port. If I plug it into the one next to the HDMI port, I cannot reboot between macOS and Windows 10 without having to shutdown first.

ReplyQuote
James
(@jdstephens)
November 9, 2018 10:10 pm  

Thermal management is a concern on the 2018 Mac mini for sure. Here's my i5 Mac mini running Prime95 for less than 10 minutes.

Would you be able to run some thermal throttling tests under Mojave? I wonder if there is a difference?

thanks

ReplyQuote
Ztun
 Ztun
(@ztun)
November 9, 2018 11:15 pm  
Posted by: Ztun

Unfortunately, this did not work.  The monitor did not detect a connection, just a blank screen.  Urgh...this is certainly going to eat up my weekend.  =)

Got it working using @goalque 's egpu boot manager (link).  I booted from the sd card (efi), then plugged in my egpu to the far right port, and then selected to boot into Windows.  Once Windows booted the graphics card was detected and the Radeon utilities were available in the system tray.  Connected to my monitor via hdmi to the mini and display port to the egpu.  Currently downloading some games on Steam to see how she performs.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Estimable Member
November 10, 2018 12:21 am  
Posted by: codices

What is the reason for using the TB3 port closest to the HDMI port? Mine is working best connected the the TB3 port opposite of the HDMI port. If I plug it into the one next to the HDMI port, I cannot reboot between macOS and Windows 10 without having to shutdown first.

I'm just guessing, but this is what I think: The different ports belong to different Thunderbolt controllers. The different Thunderbolt controllers are connected to different PCIe root ports. PCIe devices are enumerated in a certain order depending on the BIOS and OS. PCIe devices are allocated memory resources in a certain order. The differing order might make a certain Thunderbolt port more successful (but only if the enumeration or drivers has a problem).

ReplyQuote
ppm
 ppm
(@ppm)
November 10, 2018 10:28 am  

Confirmed eGPU works on Mac mini 2018 / Windows 10 / LG UltraFine 5K / GTX1070 / No settings or software workarounds

Environment

• Mac mini 2018 i7
  • Windows 10 Pro 1803 build 17134.376
  • Display: LG UltraFine 5K
    • Connected to rightmost (next to HDMI) TB3 port on Mac mini
  • Enclosure: Mantiz Venus
    • Connected to leftmost (next to Ethernet) TB3 port on Mac mini
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 AERO ITX 8G OC
    • No ports are used
  • Had been used MBP 2016 Touch Bar i7 in the same environment

Initial Setup

At first, install Windows 10 as usual with Boot Camp Assistant.

For initial setup of the MBP 2016, I hot-plugged eGPU after sign-in. It didn’t work for the Mac mini.

I had been used a “hot-plug at Windows logo” technique for normal launch of the MBP 2016. This time, I tried the technique for initial setup of the Mac mini, then it worked.

By this way, iGPU looks like to keep running with eGPU, so the UltraFine 5K is usable without problems.

After that, the eGPU should be recognized by Windows. Just install drivers manually or let Windows do it.

Normal Launch

Just use the “hot-plug at Windows logo” technique — unless you don’t feel inconvenient like me. If you do, I’m sure other members can help greatly 😉

Sidenote

• On the MBP 2016, launching with the eGPU was bit slow (around 20-30 seconds?). Comparable to normal macOS launch on the Mac mini.
  • On the MBP 2016, I had no-sound problem after every launch. It looks like gone on the Mac mini.
  • On the MBP 2016, I had choppy Bluetooth audio problem . Unfortunately, it's same on the Mac mini.

late-2016 13" Macbook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10 [no guide]

ReplyQuote
(@anethema)
November 10, 2018 9:35 pm  

I have a first draft of a part. I don't have the proper measurements for the press fit yet though so keep in mind this will likely not work yet.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3207891

I welcome suggestions and comments!

idontbyte liked
ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Trusted Member
November 11, 2018 12:00 am  

I have a first draft of a part. I don't have the proper measurements for the press fit yet though so keep in mind this will likely not work yet.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3207891

I welcome suggestions and comments!

hi i have an M3D printer and can print for someone to test, but I do not have a macmini.  Also the build area of my printer is small so I think this would have to be sliced into 4 quadrants. I would also need some help slicing it. As for suggestions maybe some sort of 3d printed screw OR screwless peg alternative way to mount the fan.

iMac 2013 10.9, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
Perk
 Perk
(@perk)
November 11, 2018 1:14 pm  
Posted by: codices

I use my mini as a media server. When i hocked up my EGPU and used the thunderbolt close to the HDMI on the mini. I got sound interference in my speakers.

ReplyQuote
SpecOps
(@specops)
November 11, 2018 1:30 pm  

I am using a 2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz 6-core, 16GB, 512 SSD, 10 Gigabit Ethernet.
I have the PowerColor gaming station with a Vega56 Nano connected via thunderbolt 3 to the thunderbolt 3 port in 
the 2nd port from the ethernet port and a displayport cable from the Vega 56 to an Asus PB287Q using bootcamp
Windows 10 pro build 17134.1.
I haven't tried the other thunderbolt ports yet for the egpu.
3840 x 2160 in 60Hz works perfect.

ReplyQuote
LatestDays
(@latestdays)
November 11, 2018 8:08 pm  
Posted by: SpecOps

I am using a 2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz 6-core, 16GB, 512 SSD, 10 Gigabit Ethernet.

Thanks for this - I'm considering buying a new mini, but was worried if the 10 gbit upgrade might cause Bootcamp issues. Great to know you have it working! Any issues you've noticed?

ReplyQuote
PJivan
(@pjivan)
November 13, 2018 10:38 am  
Posted by: wimpzilla

You are right, usually it's what it happen.
But usually one does not hit the 100° TJMAX of the cpu.
With 100° on the cpu and surrounding i would hope the fan is spinning at it's max value.

I would not care about noise knowing my logic board is being toasted and let blow the fan at 100% in this case.
If the overall implementation can't take it up, a simple TDP adjust is needed to suit the cooling and avoid the cpu hitting TJMAX or TDP.
A cpu should never go over 80/85° full load, otherwise it will toast itself, the surrounding pcb components and the pcb.

I understand you are worried but nothing get toasted at that temperature.
I work in a datacenter were sometimes a  cooler of one of the many hundreds rack break, it may take for us 7 week before we change it, 7 week of 24/7 hitting TJ max temperature, we would then replace it and that's about it.

Also in general in datacenter the room temperature have increase, google is now using 28/30 simply because cpu are happy to run at 85-90 degrees and you save a lots of money from cooling which is by far the bigger cost of a data center.

To move into consumer space i own a i7 3700 in a dell tower with a stock cooler, I let him run my Arnold maya render for days since years and yes it does hit TJ max temperature but it's still working fine, just like there are litteraly millions of cpu around the world with stock cooler or macs running hot with no issue at all.

This is not 2003 anymore, cpu are designed to hit TJ wall this is why they have turboboost and their real TDP is above what advertised. 

To summ up, if you are worried about loss of performance...fine but let's not spread fear with cpu getting toasted please unless we have some evidence to support the case that are stronger than "my cousin once had a toasted cpu"

idontbyte liked
ReplyQuote
SpecOps
(@specops)
November 15, 2018 7:38 pm  

I just ran some tests on the 2018 Mac mini 6 Core i7 /16GB/512GB/10 Gb Ethernet with a Vega 56 EGPU connected via display port.

Geekbench 4 - 5804 single, 25695 multi-core  OpenCL - 140800

Cinebench R15 - CPU - 1220 cb, OpenCL - 121.05 fps

jangoloti and bluetech liked
ReplyQuote
bluetech
(@bluetech)
November 15, 2018 8:25 pm  

Thank you for your results!

How do you get the high geekbench 4 scores?
Less than 10 degrees at the mini? (and fan@4.400rpm)

Cinebench15 OpenCL:  
Vega56 & i7 mac mini:   3 x faster than the UHD 630? (45,98fps)

Can you run the free Heaven 4 benchmark with eGPU?

https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven?lang=en

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
November 15, 2018 10:01 pm  
Posted by: PJivan
Posted by: wimpzilla

You are right, usually it's what it happen.
But usually one does not hit the 100° TJMAX of the cpu.
With 100° on the cpu and surrounding i would hope the fan is spinning at it's max value.

I would not care about noise knowing my logic board is being toasted and let blow the fan at 100% in this case.
If the overall implementation can't take it up, a simple TDP adjust is needed to suit the cooling and avoid the cpu hitting TJMAX or TDP.
A cpu should never go over 80/85° full load, otherwise it will toast itself, the surrounding pcb components and the pcb.

I understand you are worried but nothing get toasted at that temperature.
I work in a datacenter were sometimes a  cooler of one of the many hundreds rack break, it may take for us 7 week before we change it, 7 week of 24/7 hitting TJ max temperature, we would then replace it and that's about it.

Also in general in datacenter the room temperature have increase, google is now using 28/30 simply because cpu are happy to run at 85-90 degrees and you save a lots of money from cooling which is by far the bigger cost of a data center.

To move into consumer space i own a i7 3700 in a dell tower with a stock cooler, I let him run my Arnold maya render for days since years and yes it does hit TJ max temperature but it's still working fine, just like there are litteraly millions of cpu around the world with stock cooler or macs running hot with no issue at all.

This is not 2003 anymore, cpu are designed to hit TJ wall this is why they have turboboost and their real TDP is above what advertised. 

To summ up, if you are worried about loss of performance...fine but let's not spread fear with cpu getting toasted please unless we have some evidence to support the case that are stronger than "my cousin once had a toasted cpu"

Put it like this

Users will read this post leading into two obvious choices:
1/Listen the random and convince himself that letting burning its own paid goods it's fine!
2/Listen the random and convince himself that keeping its own paid goods under thermal control would be the best.

To the first group, i wish you a happy burn!
To the second group, wise thought!

It's as simple as that, without having the need to shave my multiple year experience in datacenters!
Also happy burn to you and your i7 3700!

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
holagato
(@holagato)
November 16, 2018 12:24 am  

It's as simple as that, without having the need to shave my multiple year experience in datacenters!
Also happy burn to you and your i7 3700!

Are you saying, despite all of the issues that come along with not having a dedicated graphics card, that the mac mini is not a good purchase because of how hot it gets?

I am considering purchasing one and putting my nVidia GTX 980 into an enclosure.  I know all macs get hot, but is the new mac mini even hotter than most?

Thank you

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5 Prev