Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
2018 Mac Mini + eGPU

2018 Mac Mini + eGPU  

of  7
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The 2018 Mac mini is on sale in the US [Amazon] and [Micro Center]. Maybe there’s a refresh this fall.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

My home office is out of action for 3 months due to house works, hope that being finished coincides with a Mac mini update - wouldn't expect anything more than a spec bump but new CPU's are new CPU's...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
holagato
(@holagato)

Do you think they'll address the USB-C power issue?  I'm speaking of the issue where certain bus powered accessories, like OWC solid state drives that are bus powered, don't always connect.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@holagato Which particular model of OWC USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 are you using? I have used USB-C powered monitor and SSD without issues.

@eightarmedpet If Apple removes the internal PSU and power it with an external 99W USB-C power adapter, I would definitely upgrade.

ReplyQuote
holagato
(@holagato)

Ive noticed power issues from Mac Mini TB3 ports with other bus powered devices, like an iClicker.  My iPhone charges just fine through it, though.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@holagato Each USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port is supposed to provide at most 15W to USB powered devices. Have you checked whether it’s the ports under-delivering or the devices over-drawing? I have been using this Plugable USBC-VAMETER.

ReplyQuote
holagato
(@holagato)

@itsage

That thing looks cool!  I'll have to check one out and see what I find.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@itsage I'd quite like that, it would also help with any heat issues, but I don't think they will any time soon. Looking at 8th gen vs 9th gen series CPU there isn't much in it...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
 of  7