2018 Mac mini with RTX 2080 super too greedy?

Notifications
Clear all

2018 Mac mini with RTX 2080 super too greedy?  

RSS

elude
(@elude)

I recently just purchased a RTX 2060 super with my razer core x and 2018 Mac mini ( i7 - 3.2 ghz - 16g ram - 6 core) It’s been great, no problems but now I’m greedy and want more frames for my beloved pubg. I am thinking about returning the 2060 super to upgrade to a dual fan 2080 super. I have a couple concerns though. 

1. Is this too much video card for my cpu? 

2. will this card fit in the razer core x

any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Elliot 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@elude

Make sure you don’t upgrade your Mac OS, Boot Camp, or Windows version. 

Don’t update anything! Then you should be good. 😎

That Ampere tho...🤔

This post was modified 3 months ago

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.4 Catalina / Windows 1809 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Remind me what your FPS in PUBG is again? You could buy the 2080 from amazon and test it out, if there is a big jump in performance keep it but if not send it back. Ideally you’ll want to be hitting around 120 FPS or more. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
elude
(@elude)

@eightarmedpet

I have a 27 inch monitor and I like to play in 1440 and I get average 90fps. If I play in 1080 I average 130fps but my eyes get too sore.  Most my graphic setting are very low except anti aliasing and textures are medium. I’m pretty sure that with the 2080 super I’ll get at least 120fps on medium to high settings. I will buy one and try it out then let you know. 

how many FPS do you get and what is your setup now?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@elude

cheers for the reply man!

I run everything on low except textures which is on very high and maybe AA on medium...I get around 45-70 @1440 with rendering turned down (which I hate) so its maybe closer to 1080 (which I also hate). Dual core MacBook and Vega 56 but about to build a SFFPC while I wait for Apples next MacBook Pro 13/14 or Mac mini release.

---

ReplyQuote
elude
(@elude)

@eightarmedpet

My Mac mini only supports a 60hz monitor, do you think there is any noticeable advantage to 120 FPS if my monitor can only refresh 60 times per second? 

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@elude

Yes, 100%. I watched a video recently where folks explored that very question and how multiple refresh rates compared. Long and the short of it...

60fps @ 60hz = awful

120fps @ 60hz = notably better

120fps @ 120hz = optimal

240 fps @ 240hz = negligible gains but possibly some.

This is all in CS:GO.

Based on this I'm aiming for 120fps on my 60hz Ultrafine.

Edit: I should including my source:

---

ReplyQuote
elude
(@elude)

@eightarmedpet

cool , good info thanks! I’ll check it out!

ReplyQuote
elude
(@elude)

@eightarmedpet

The 2080 super is sick! Average 120 fps on 1440 , ultra anti aliasing and ultra textures. Supper happy with the purchase! Thanks for your help!

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@elude

oh boy thats impressive! Can you feel any difference in game play with the higher FPS? I am very jealous.

Depending on your definition of "average" you are seeing very little performance loss with an eGPU set vs normal desktop...

---

ReplyQuote
elude
(@elude)

@eightarmedpet

It feels more smooth but it’s also hard to tell. The main advantage is the game looks way better and if I get FPS drop I don’t feel it.   I want to test out a 120hz monitor to see if that will make a the game feel way smoother, I’m sure I will. What’s really cool is I can play in 4K, it’s not ideal but I do get 60fps.  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@elude 4K at 60fps is pretty impressive, I wouldn’t play like that if you want to be competitive but i bet its great eye candy wise. I’ve tried 4K but only get around 30.

---

ReplyQuote
elude
(@elude)

Hey man, I having some problems now. Maybe you can help? I posted the problem in thunderbolt windows egpu, please have a look. Thanks.

Elliot

ReplyQuote