Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
2018 MacBook Pro Hot, buying eGPU

2018 MacBook Pro Hot, buying eGPU  

RSS

(@jon_kimmel)

Hi Guy,

I got a 2018 MacBook Pro 15inch core i9 with a d Rx560. Issue I am having is that when I connect to external displays, 2, the cpu heats to 185F, and dGPU 120-130F with no load machine at idle. I verified both fans are operational so it is not the issue. Normal temps with no external displays cpu 100F, and dGPU 95F. So will this temperature issue resolve if I obtain an eGPU to run my external screen on? Im looking at possibly a rx570 rx580 8gb, with a Razer Core X. Mainly just coding on the machine and testing what I code.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
motoic
(@tsh3721)
Trusted Member

Couple of thoughts:
There is no reason to get an RX570 at this point. Even the RX580 is old and legacy. 

If you do get an RX580 you might as well get the BlackMagic because it has Thunderbolt and that means you have the option of driving more powerful external displays like the LG Ultrafine 4k-5k and you should also have pretty good resale value.

2018 15" MBP w/ Radeon Pro 560x
Nvidia GTX 1070
Akitio Node
32" LG 32UD99-W at 4k
macOS Mojave, Bootcamp Windows 10

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@tsh3721 as an Ultrafine owner I would strongly advise against buying one, and a Blackmagic egpu, which you only really need if you need to drive the first gen 5K's.

As (I assume) you have displays that connect via HDMI or Display port I'd just grab a 580 and either a Core X or Mantiz Venus. I'd love to see new Macs this month with Navi cards so we can use 5700/XT's but I don't hold much hope.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
teltersat2
(@teltersat2)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @jon_kimmel

Hi Guy,

I got a 2018 MacBook Pro 15inch core i9 with a d Rx560. Issue I am having is that when I connect to external displays, 2, the cpu heats to 185F, and dGPU 120-130F with no load machine at idle. I verified both fans are operational so it is not the issue. Normal temps with no external displays cpu 100F, and dGPU 95F. So will this temperature issue resolve if I obtain an eGPU to run my external screen on? Im looking at possibly a rx570 rx580 8gb, with a Razer Core X. Mainly just coding on the machine and testing what I code.

I do have a couple of questions/comments:

• What are you using to connect both displays to your computer? If you're using a DisplayLink dock, CPU usage is high, which in turn may heat up your dGPU as they are in the same shared cooling pipe.
  • The current MBP design doesn't do well against dust. Every 4-6 months consider opening up the shell and using a can of compressed air to remove all possible dust from the fan exhausts. Your temperatures will drop from 5C to 10C depending on what you're doing with the laptop.
  • Consider taking your MBP to an authorized center to reapply the thermal paste in the laptop. If you don't know how to do it, it's better to have an experienced person do it - the current design is not quite user-friendly. Same cooling improvements will arise
  • If you are planning on getting an RX580, buy a used one, it is indeed a bit old nowadays 🙂

Current build: 2017 15" MacBook Pro + Mantiz Venus MZ-02 + Silverstone SX700-LPT (750W Peak) + Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 (Reference model)
Replaced parts: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+

itsage liked
ReplyQuote