Notifications
Clear all

2019 MacBook Pro 13" DIY alternative to Apple's Sonnet's eGPU  

of  2
  RSS

Leonardo Fettucciari
(@leonardo_fettucciari)

Hello everyone,

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)

Processor: 2,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Disk: 512GB SSD

Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB...

these are my current specs.

I am thinking about purchasing Sonnet's eGPU from Apple, but is there a DIY alternative for roughly the same price?

My budget of course is equal or lower than that one.

Only Requirement: Needs to work with BootCamp!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Most of the options are listed in the Buyer Guide (missing Thunderbolt 3 M.2 enclosures which you need to pair with a M.2/ngff adapter). Any Thunderbolt 3 device with a PCIe slot or M.2 slot can be used but if they are not made specifically for an eGPU then you may need a PCIe slot adapter/riser and power supply.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Leonardo Fettucciari
(@leonardo_fettucciari)

@joevt, by PCIe slot or M.2 slot you mean the external case? I am looking for a case and a graphic card for the same price of that Sonnets one. The MacBook Pro I have does support eGPU, I probably think I didn't get what you meant by 

Any Thunderbolt 3 device with a PCIe slot or M.2 slot can be used but if they are not made specifically for an eGPU then you may need a PCIe slot adapter/riser and power supply.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for both the case and Graphic Card, considering these are the recommended by Apple.

Thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@leonardo_fettucciari, yes, the external case since it will be connected to the Mac using Thunderbolt 3.

The buyer's guide has eGPUs sorted by rank. It also shows prices though you will want to check your favourite stores.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Leonardo Fettucciari
(@leonardo_fettucciari)

@joevt, don't you have any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@leonardo_fettucciari, no I don't have any suggestions. I made my eGPU out of a Thunderbolt 3 to M.2 adapter. I didn't care about the pricing - I did it to see if it could be done.
https://egpu.io/forums/which-gear-should-i-buy/thunderbolt-3-external-drive-slot-m-2-ngff-adapter/paged/6/#post-68188

I also did eGPU with a Sonnet Echo Express III-D (Thunderbolt 3 edition).

Neither of those I would recommend even though they work perfectly fine (they require extra GPU power). It's kind of hard to find an eGPU solution that doesn't work as well as another.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@leonardo_fettucciari, The Sonnet Breakaway Puck 560 is the most affordable enclosure + graphics card product for a Thunderbolt 3 Mac. If you want something that costs less, it would involve more reading into M.2 eGPU adapter, Thunderbolt 3 NVMe adapter, and a mix of power supply and DIY enclosure. Pricing for these components fluctuate so things don't always add up much less than $300. An example of such DIY project is ADT-Link R43SG + Wavlink M.2 TB3 + Dell DA-2 + RX 580 [build link].

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@leonardo_fettucciari, consider looking at used market for RX 570/580 and Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 (if you can find one and the larger size vs. Puck is okay). Both could be had for under 300$ total if you find the right deal. Then flash the Sonnet box using tbt-flash to get 87W PD instead of 15W and you have a compelling setup for under or therabouts 300$ that performs much better than the RX 560 in the puck.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Leonardo Fettucciari
(@leonardo_fettucciari)

@mac_editor, This seems interesting, thank you! Looking on it right now. However, would that still be compatible with Bootcamp?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
 of  2