Redshift vs Octane: eGPU for MacBook Pro 2018

Notifications
Clear all

Redshift vs Octane: eGPU for MacBook Pro 2018  

RSS

philippkl
(@philippkl)

Hey guys!

I already read some threads without an account so here is my first real step into the eGPU world.....
Are there any experiences with the following Hardware- / Software-combination:

• Redshift Render or
  • Octane Render

I'm not a full-time heavy user of either of these renderers but I would like to have the possibility to use them with a decent speed. And neither of them seems to give AMD GPUs a try.

Sooo:
1. does this combo make sense? 
2. I would go for the sonnet breakaway box with the 980Ti. Alternative would be the GTX 1070/1070Ti. Which one would you choose...?

Thank you! Your replies are much appreciated Smile

Philipp

This topic was modified 2 years ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ataylor
(@ataylor)
Eminent Member

I have a similar setup... waiting for Nvidia drivers for 10.12.6 sup. update 2. they pulled the 108 driver due to issues.. so were in wait mode again.. 
for now you will have issues with Mojave...#1 waiting for drivers #2 issues evidently with cuda coming to light all of a sudden apple leaving it out on the dev end or some such..so for now best best seems to be high Sierra once the replacement 108+ driver shows up.. unless you don't install the supplemental update that is.

2018 MacBookPro 15 in. /w Touchbar - i9 - 32gig ram - 1080 Aorus 1080 Gaming Box - Sonnet-Breakaway550 with GTX 1080 - Still need to get both of the GTX 980TI working for 4 GTX total cards

ReplyQuote
ataylor
(@ataylor)
Eminent Member

OToy is porting octane to metal fyi... and they think it might end up being as fast or faster then CUDA... this could get interesting.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1425897

2018 MacBookPro 15 in. /w Touchbar - i9 - 32gig ram - 1080 Aorus 1080 Gaming Box - Sonnet-Breakaway550 with GTX 1080 - Still need to get both of the GTX 980TI working for 4 GTX total cards

ReplyQuote