MacBook Pro 13" 2017 + eGPU on Nvidia for gaming under Windows

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro 13" 2017 + eGPU on Nvidia for gaming under Windows  

RSS

Monroe
(@monroe)

Hi folks! I’m a newbie to this website as well as the eGPU itself.

Several previous weeks I’ve been looking for a gaming laptop or desktop PC for gaming. Recently, I’ve found some articles on eGPU, and this has interested me.

Well, I have a 13” MacBook Pro (2017) with the Core i5 3.1 GHz and 16GB of RAM. I am running macOS 10.13.5. I would like to use the Nvidia GTX 1070 or 1080 for playing latest games such as PUBG, Witcher 3, Call of Duty WWII etc. running under Windows.

According to some recent articles, for ex. 9to5 Mac website, “Nvidia GPUs are not supported at all, and Apple also notes that it doesn’t support eGPUs in Boot Camp for those wishing to run Windows”, or another article from this website, “Last but not least is gaming in Windows. While eGPU in Bootcamp mode is neither supported nor related to this 10.13.4 release, many Mac users have been looking forward to using Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pros as part-time gaming laptops. I wish there were better news to report. For the time being, we must continue to follow an exhaustive procedure to make use of external GPU in Bootcamp.”

I am really confused with this because I watched some videos (released from 3 months to one year ago), and people have connected their eGPUs on Nvidia GPUs to MacBook Pro 13” both on macOS and Windows.

The second question I would like to ask is that the eGPU, connected to the Mac, could only display on the external monitor, is that right?

Also, reading articles, I found that if you connect the eGPU directly to the external monitor, it will give more benefits. Could you please explain this? Should I connect an eGPU to my Macbook, then connect the eGPU to the external monitor and, finally, connect the monitor to Macbook via the HDMI? I have a monitor with one HDMI and one VGA ports.

Thirdly, one Youtube blogger, who connected the Razer Core V2 to his Macbook told that the Mac could only work with the Nvidia Founders Edition GPU (he had the GTX 1080Ti from the ASUS, and it didn’t work). Is that right, and I should buy only Founders Edition GPU, or I could buy GPU from any manufacturer?

And the last, what eGPU set for games you would advice – the Razer Core X or Apple’s recommended Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550W? Should I buy GTX 1070, 1070Ti or 1080 for latest games with future possibility to transfer this GPU to the desktop PC?

Thank you for your help in advance.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
whiskey_1130
(@whiskey_1130)
Eminent Member

I've got the same MacBook and yes, you can game in Boot Camp with NVIDIA cards in an eGPU.

See here:
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2017-13-macbook-pro-ntb-gtx1070-sonnet-breakaway-box-550/

It's preferred to display out to an external monitor.

See here for performance comparisons (internal vs external):
https://egpu.io/performance-internal-vs-external-display/

Finally, I'm a bit biased on Razer Core vs Sonnet Breakaway, but both are good choices. I personally went with the Sonnet. 1070s and 1080s are still a bit on the high side with price right now but I typically check Reddit for GPU sales. 

https://old.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

I'd think a 1070 should get you at least 60FPS @ 1080p on the games you play.

2018 13” MacBook Pro TB + RX 580 + Sonnet Breakaway 550

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.13.5 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

I have the same laptop as you (pretty much) and have gamed on a 1050, 1050ti, 1060 and a 1070... the latter gets 60fps @1440 in pretty much every game on decent settings. I have a mix of low-medium-ultra settings and get over 60fps at times in PUBG.

Bootcamp wise, its not "officially supported" which basically means companies accept no responsibility for what happens when you try and run things. Unofficially, Bootcamp set up with a Nvidia card and your laptop is SUPER easy. I re set mine up[ recently and it took 15 mins, and thats only due to download speeds.

Plugging things in wise, bit of a worrying question, as it is covered in easy to find videos, but... plug the eGPU into your Laptop, then your external monitor into the GPU, job done.

I tested quite a few games and you can find the results in the link in my signature..

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 560 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@shivam_sinha)

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

I have the same laptop as you (pretty much) and have gamed on a 1050, 1050ti, 1060 and a 1070... the latter gets 60fps @1440 in pretty much every game on decent settings. I have a mix of low-medium-ultra settings and get over 60fps at times in PUBG.

Bootcamp wise, its not "officially supported" which basically means companies accept no responsibility for what happens when you try and run things. Unofficially, Bootcamp set up with a Nvidia card and your laptop is SUPER easy. I re set mine up[ recently and it took 15 mins, and thats only due to download speeds.

Plugging things in wise, bit of a worrying question, as it is covered in easy to find videos, but... plug the eGPU into your Laptop, then your external monitor into the GPU, job done.

I tested quite a few games and you can find the results in the link in my signature..

Hey! I'm been trying to get my Gaming Box GTX 1080 to work with my 2016 MBP 15". I can get the eGPU box to work but essentially can't connect anything else to my laptop. Plugging anything else in crashes the computer. Do you perhaps have a solution for that? My only solution right now is to use the Gaming Box's USB hub with the new H2D firmware that reduces the bandwidth of the card itself to make more room for the USB hub. But even then, I have some serious lag issues sometimes.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
usafballer70
(@usafballer70)

I have a 2016 MBP 13 w/TB and 8GB of RAM.  Your 16GB should help with some of the 1% low frames/Frame pacing issues I get occasionally in titles.  Overall, I principally connect to my Aorus Gaming Box 1070 with a 2M cable and play on the internal monitor of my MBP.  I don't have a ton of experience playing on my external monitor as I prefer a different setup. 

Gaming on Bootcamp in windows CAN be a decent and impressive experience.  I found I couldn't get it working in Win10 Build 1708, so I'm current stuck at 1703 (anniversary edition).  I'm worried that a future update will essentially break what I have going, so I'm getting a Dell XPS15 9570.  I wanted a bigger 15" screen anways!  I adore my MBP and the Mac OS for pretty much all my everyday computing, but overall Win10 is far more stable eGPU partner and hotplug is worth it's weight in GOLD.  You can also simply close the lid to put both Laptop and eGPU to sleep, and I've even had eGPU connections stay through computer reboots.  It's truly impressive compared to the hacked mess that is MacBook Pro and eGPU in Bootcamp.

To game on Win10 in Bootcamp, you have to use ReFind EFI or hotplug method on the 13" MBP, and I also run a script in windows to ensure that my sound card works (you have to disable and then re-enable sound devices).  Some of this is mitigated if you use an external monitor only, which is always a more straightforward use-case for eGPUs.

ReplyQuote
usafballer70
(@usafballer70)

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Hey man - I think you also responded to me on reddit (USAFBALLER).  Did you say you had Far Cry 5/Origins?  Are you getting 60FPS on an external monitor at 1440P? 

I looked at your implementation guide, and you clearly don't get 60FPS on a lot of more modern Triple A titles.  The Division, Dying Light, Wildlands - you mentioned they all run in that dreaded 40-60FPS.  This matches my experience in most modern titles, especially Ubisoft ones.  Far Cry 5 is a 30-60FPS game for me (so I lock it to 30).  Origins I just lock at 30FPS (where it is smooth and fine).  Doom mostly pegs 60FPS, but dips down briefly to 45FPS (still plays well).  Division runs at 45-60 FPS too (high).  Dying Light I can actually run pretty close to 60FPS most of the time, with the dips into the low 50s...but I'm also running the gorgeous PCSS shadows setting.

I find that in most cases the 1070 can process all the bells and whistles with minimal FPS impacts - something else seems to keep modern titles from running a full 60FPS with headroom, and I think it's a reality of eGPU gaming.  I can switch from medium to ULTRA in a lot of titles and see minimal FPS impacts - which to me scream CPU bottleneck somewhere.  I'm really ansty to get my 9570 in house to see how it handles, but I'm keeping my expectations in check based on my experience with the Dell 9575.

ReplyQuote