MacBook Pro 2018 - Vega 56/64 Questions

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro 2018 - Vega 56/64 Questions  

RSS

Brady
(@brady)

I have been looking around at what GPU I should buy for my eGPU setup and I find myself confused.
I have a 13" MacBook Pro 2018 maxed except for the SSD (I got 500gb) and I have a Razer Core X eGPU Chassis.
I understand Apple only offers official support for AMD cards so I started looking into AMD cards. Specifically Vega 56/64 cards.

Where my confusion comes in is all the different types of Vega 56/64's there are at different prices from different manufacturers.
For example, I see on NewEgg there is THIS CARD (MSI RX Vega 56), and also THIS CARD (SAPPHIRE RX Vega 64). I would assume the 64 would be better but it is priced cheaper.
I am not understanding the pricing/performance here and am having trouble deciding what to go with.

I am simply looking to get a Vega card around $600 CAD (~$450 USD) that will work with my setup. If anyone could help me with this at all it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

GPU pricing are all over the place in the past year due to mining. If you find an RX Vega 64 for a good price, go for it. The Razer Core X has the PSU to power the Vega 64.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti)
Trusted Member

Posted by: itsage

GPU pricing are all over the place in the past year due to mining. If you find an RX Vega 64 for a good price, go for it. The Razer Core X has the PSU to power the Vega 64.

In a year or less the mining and crypto-coins craze will have disappeared (with the savings of many unsuspected) and things will come to the right place.

Mac Mini 2012 and 2018 i7, Mac book Pro 2016 15" with TB, eGPU Galax/KFA2

ReplyQuote