Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
[Advice request] MacBook Pro 13" i7 2019 | Razer Core X | Internal Display | +??...

[Advice request] MacBook Pro 13" i7 2019 | Razer Core X | Internal Display | +???  

RSS

kakahara
(@kakahara)

Hi all - I've read a lot of the guides and searched but could not get an answer which could help me - perhaps I've missed it.

I have a Macbook Pro 13" i7 2019 (Mojave) and want to use a eGPU to play games on.
I also have a Razer Core X enroute (which I might downsize to the V2)
I do not have space for a monitor at all, so will need to drive the Internal Display.
I haven't PC/MAC gamed in over 10 years so am starting my games catalogue from scratch. 
I am OS agnostic but need to use the Macbook Pro for a number of reasons. I will be using both Mac OS and Windows 10 though.

I read that AMD cards may give me error 12 in Bootcamp/Windows (unsure if this has been fixed in new releases of Windows/Mac OS or not - guides are 1 or 2 years old) - I would have thought with the Blackmagic and blackmagic Pro eGPUs, Apple would have made it work on both?
and
that NVIDIA cards are not currently supported in Mojave (and may or may not ever be) so I will not be able to game on Mac OS (Mojave) if I choose an NVIDIA card.
I read I might need to use the headless HDMI/DP technique but unsure if this still applies...

I would like advice for what GPU I should get for this situation 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Macbook Pro 13" i7 2019, Razer Core X, 5700XT 50th Anniversary Edition

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Hi. 
Im going to be short here because I’m on my phone and 4 pints in. 
For gaming go bootcamp and Nvidia. It’ll be super easy set up and driving internal is better supported. 
The only reason  to get a blackmagic is if you have the LG 5k UltraFine. Which I do but still haven’t.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Hi. 
Im going to be short here because I’m on my phone and 4 pints in. 
For gaming go bootcamp and Nvidia. It’ll be super easy set up and driving internal is better supported. 
The only reason  to get a blackmagic is if you have the LG 5k UltraFine. Which I do but still haven’t.

I think the BlackMagic eGPU should also be able to support Apple's new 6K display (Titan Ridge Thunderbolt supporting Dual Link DisplayPort 1.4). Any Thunderbolt display should work.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

AMD card is the way to go if you use the eGPU for both macOS and Windows. The best value is the RX Vega 56 imo. In order to resolve error 12 and keep the Intel iGPU activated in Boot Camp, you can use automate-eGPU EFI, apple_set_os.efi, or rEFInd.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote