[Advice Wanted] - Reasonable GPU Card for Mac Mini (2018)

Notifications
Clear all

[Advice Wanted] - Reasonable GPU Card for Mac Mini (2018)  

RSS

Dogamondo
(@dogamondo)

Hey all,

I have just purchased a Razer Core X eGPU and am now on the hunt for a GPU card that will suit my needs.

Ideally I'd be picking up a Radeon RX 6900 XT, but alas there are no mac drivers available now or on the horizon. Second pick was the Radeon RX 5700 XT, but alas they are going for nearly 3X MSRP at the moment and I just can't justify that kind of gouging.

Can anyone recommend another card that will play nicely with Big Sur that serves the following use cases;

• Drive a 4K DP monitor nicely
  • Some 4K video rendering duties
  • Light gaming at 4K res (older games such as CS Go)

Ideally it'll suit those needs and get me through until the choke hold on GPUs ends when Ethereum stops being profitable to mine. Hopefully by then Apple will have support for the 6000 series cards too.

Many thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@dogamondo, The RX 5500 XT 8GB or RX 580 make good stop-gap cards. 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Dogamondo
(@dogamondo)

@mini-i5, Thanks, is there much of a difference between the two?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

No, the RX 5500 XT is the more recent design, but it performs the same as the RX 580

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote