Akitio Thunder 2 vs Node Lite and GTX 1050 TI vs RX 560

Notifications
Clear all

Akitio Thunder 2 vs Node Lite and GTX 1050 TI vs RX 560  

RSS

Fernando
(@fernando)

Hi,
I have a Macbook Pro Late 2013 15-inch Retina Display with Thunderbolt 2 and dGPU. I'd like to build a mini eGPU setup.

Is there any benefit of using Akitio Node Lite($218.00) over Akitio Thunder2($189.00) ?
I'm asking because, the Node Lite requires an extra cable:TB2 ($39) and adapter:TB3 to TB2($49)  =~ $88.00

I'm also intended to use 2 monitors on MacOS (internal and external display).  
Can I get better experience with the RX 560 or it doesn't really matters since the eGPUs is not official supported on my MBP?

Thank you guys!

2013 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Look for build guides. 750m macs are a challenge if you will be using an external monitor.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

Fernando liked
ReplyQuote
Fernando
(@fernando)

Thanks for the response!

Do you know if the RX560 is generally more compatible than 1050 ti on macOS? Does it require less effort to make it work?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@fernando AMD GPUs are generally more compatible on macOS. Plus on this Mac, it's super-easy to set up an AMD eGPU on Windows Bootcamp if needed for games, etc. On macOS itself, things will be awesome if you don't use an external monitor connected to the eGPU (for that to work an additional hack is needed and it has it's share of disadvantages: purge-nvda - but works).

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Fernando
(@fernando)

Nice! Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Pedrokarabom
(@pedrokarabom)

Posted by: mac_editor

@fernando AMD GPUs are generally more compatible on macOS. Plus on this Mac, it's super-easy to set up an AMD eGPU on Windows Bootcamp if needed for games, etc. On macOS itself, things will be awesome if you don't use an external monitor connected to the eGPU (for that to work an additional hack is needed and it has it's share of disadvantages: purge-nvda - but works).

I have a similar question, and to does not creat a new Topic, i will ask to you here.

I have a 1050ti on a thunder2 + MBA running Mojave. When im using bootcamp, its totally plug an play, only installed the drives and everything work well.
But my needs have changed and i want to buy a MSI Rx 560 (no 6 pin required), only for a few games (Civ VI and Dota 2) and a few apps on Mojave. Is the Rx 550 totally plug and play or is necessary to run scripts and etc?

Thanks!

This post was modified 1 year ago

Macbook Air 2017 (Mojave + (Win10 + Akitio thunder 2 + GTX1050 TI + 120W PSU))
Searching a MSI RX 560 to switch with the GTX.
BR

ReplyQuote
padams35
(@padams35)
Eminent Member

If you have a 2018 MBA (or other TB3 Mac) then the RX 560 is plug and play. (The RX 555 is not). TB2 Airs will need to run a script.

2011 iMac w/ Sierra, 2015 MacBook Air w/ HS, 2018 Mac Mini w/ Mojave
eGPU #1: AKiTiO Thunder 2 w/ RX 460-2GB + 120W PSU
eGPU #2: Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 + RX 570-4GB

ReplyQuote
Pedrokarabom
(@pedrokarabom)

Its a thunderbolt 2, not 3. But if anyway it works on Mojave running a script, i think i will give it a try.

Macbook Air 2017 (Mojave + (Win10 + Akitio thunder 2 + GTX1050 TI + 120W PSU))
Searching a MSI RX 560 to switch with the GTX.
BR

ReplyQuote