Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT  

of  43
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

With Radeon Navi set to launch in a few days, I thought we should start a discussion on eGPU use with RX 5700 and RX 5700 XT. First of all, don't buy them yet if you have a Mac. The latest 10.15 Beta 3 does not have eGPU support for these graphics cards. Kext editing to make them work may be a possibility. Seeing how Radeon VII eGPU support has been, I'd strongly recommend waiting for proper driver support. Windows may be a no-go on launch day similar to Radeon VII as well. The PCI ID 731F is no where to be found in driver list.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Hold on, does that mean you have one or what that a screenshot from a VII!?!?!

What was the issue with the VII in windows on launch day?

I'm keen on getting the new gen, my main interest/focus is whether, drivers aside, AMD Bootcamp egpu set up will be any easier (as per Nvidia).

My Mantiz is arriving Tuesday, to be honest I'll prob but a Navi card anyway and just send back if it doesn't work in Windows at least (although with more room than my Core I could actually grab a Pulse Vega which is quieter and cooler than my reference...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Radeon VII did not work in eGPU mode on both macOS and Windows. Screen captures were from RX 5700 eGPU on 10.15 Beta 3.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Wut wut wut, you have one?! 
I hope we are going to see some build attempts/guides come Monday? Does it output anything when attached to an external?

---

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Unfortunately I don't have one. I heard from a contact.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Navi architecture refer to an updated GCN architecture, called RDNA Roll , with a revamped compute unit design.

So i would simply expect that the driver used for GCN until now are not totally optimized for navi, that need a new set of drivers to really take profit of the new compute unit pipelines.
For sure the new instruction set aiming console game development seems quite powerful, if i believe M$crosoft and Sony advert for the next gen console.
Still i did not understood clearly if these adverted specs refer to the console alone or refer to the console + game cloud computing through the network.

So i would suppose this lead to two things as usual with AMD:
1/New drivers are needed to really take profit of the new gpu, for both desktop and eGPU use.
2/Devs need to want to use the new instruction set to really take profit of navi. 

Edit: @itsage
I also thought you already owned one for testing purposes, so the screenshot.
Why not ask AMD to send you one? 😎  
The forum put some quite effort to share eGPU builds with AMD cards, at the end!

This post was modified 12 months ago

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@wimpzilla It's a hobby for all of us so I don't ask companies to send me products. If they offer to send samples I would gladly accept for testing and reviewing. Undoubtedly our community has helped many companies sell products. Our only goal is to inform people to the best of our knowledge and not be influenced by any companies.

igerard and ikir liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Interesting to hear of pre launch price drops as a reaction to Super cards, hope Sapphire come out with a version with their cooler design.

Also - I wonder if Apple will still use the RX 580 in the Mac Pro or quietly upgrade to the 5700, prob not as they just LOVE to cheap out on GPUs but it would be great if they did.

---

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

@itsage

You are right, i agree with you.
But since you spent some time testing eGPU setups, gathering quite some knowledge in the field.
One would maybe still send you one for testing purpose, "free of charges".

Anyway, one can find here the whole AMD E3 slide show including the navi one: https://www.techpowerup.com/256660/amd-e3-2019-tech-day-all-slide-decks-ryzen-3000-zen-2-radeon-rx-5000-navi-etc
Seems AMD is already (lowing) lowering the prices at launch sunday 7/7/19 : https://www.techpowerup.com/257106/confirmed-amd-to-cut-rx-5700-series-prices-at-launch

This post was modified 12 months ago

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Ray
 Ray
(@ray)
Eminent Member

I was about to grab a Vega Nano off EBay. The price drop made me hesitate, but I still think I will. I prefer something more portable, if for nothing more than easy transport from the desk to the TV for some couch gaming. 

It’ll be August before we see optimized drivers and 3rd party cards. And Vega, which had a nano advertised on launch day, didn’t get it till over a year later. Sure, this could be different, but I have my doubts. Who knows how long until we see a Navi Nano.

@itsage @eightarmedpet You both helped me out on my search for a Vega Nano… what have you got to say about this?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  43