Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT

[Solved] AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT  

of  11
  RSS

GPU_Cat
(@gpu_cat)

Posted by: @mac_editor

@gpu_cat Gotcha. Gigabyte is selling their 5700 reference model for USD 329. Their OC model is USD 359 (worth it IMO).

@itsage I believe you have the 5700 reference card right? Have you tried flashing it with a 5700 XT BIOS?

Thanks! I wasn’t sure if it was ok to get into pricing here, but I appreciate your opinion. The prices are very confusing. Here is what I’ve seen lately:

1) Reference 5700 as low as $299-$309 with rebate (Gigabyte, ASUS).

2) 5700 with some OC and dual fans are $359 (Gigabyte, Sapphire).

3) 5700 XT reference as low as $359 (ASUS, PowerColor). Actually the PowerColor is not a reference design, it has a dual fan design for $359, but I’m a little hesitant given some folks experiences here.

Given those price points would you still recommend a 5700 with better cooling and small OC (option 2)?

This post was modified 5 days ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@gpu_cat

Yes that is indeed a confusing situation. I think one would choose 2 over 3 if noise matters most. The Gigabyte OC model is worth it over its own reference model, but throwing in a reference XT at the same price changes the game. If noise is not a factor, just get whatever you are comfortable with. 1 and 3 both are excellent value at their price points. If you were to ask my personal opinion - I'd just wait for a bit/increase my budget, and get a non-reference XT (because noise matters to me) or consider looking at the used market :p

Posted by: @gpu_cat

Actually the PowerColor is not a reference design, it has a dual fan design for $359, but I’m a little hesitant given some folks experiences here.

That's a good deal. Yes we aren't sure about the reliability but PowerColor support is generally quite good.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
GPU_Cat
(@gpu_cat)

@gpu_cat

Yes that is indeed a confusing situation. I think one would choose 2 over 3 if noise matters most. The Gigabyte OC model is worth it over its own reference model, but throwing in a reference XT at the same price changes the game. If noise is not a factor, just get whatever you are comfortable with. 1 and 3 both are excellent value at their price points. If you were to ask my personal opinion - I'd just wait for a bit/increase my budget, and get a non-reference XT (because noise matters to me) or consider looking at the used market :p

Posted by: @gpu_cat

Actually the PowerColor is not a reference design, it has a dual fan design for $359, but I’m a little hesitant given some folks experiences here.

That's a good deal. Yes we aren't sure about the reliability but PowerColor support is generally quite good.

Thank you for your insight, I appreciate it. Last question: how noisy are the reference cards versus the fans in the Razer Core X Chroma? I’m not planning to switch power supplies so if the Core X alone is louder than a reference card I may just go reference, but if the reference cards are going to be the loudest part I’ll probably go non-reference.

Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@gpu_cat

At load the reference card will be the loudest. I don't know how loud the Core X gets, but it will be lower than a reference GPU.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
GPU_Cat
(@gpu_cat)

@gpu_cat

At load the reference card will be the loudest. I don't know how loud the Core X gets, but it will be lower than a reference GPU.

Thanks! That is very helpful. I’ll look for a non-reference card then. I don’t need silence but I think I’ll appreciate a quieter card. 

FYI - I think this is the model of the PowerColor 5700XT I’ve seen on sale if you know anything about it: https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1565842787

ReplyQuote
Brian Duchesneau
(@brian_duchesneau)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

Thanks for the info that the 5700XT will work in Windows with 19.11.1.  I've installed the latest drivers.    What do you mean by "clean the system"?  I am up for trying anything at this point, but would really like to avoid having to reinstall Bootcamp/Win10.....

2018 macmini i7 32GB/1TB SSD - OWC 650W - RX5700XT / Sonnet Breakaway Box RX/580 - OSX Catalina10.15.1 / Bootcamp

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@itsage I believe you have the 5700 reference card right? Have you tried flashing it with a 5700 XT BIOS?

Yes I have a reference RX 5700 card. I tried flashing the firmware when these cards first came out. ATIFlash was giving me error about reading the ROM so I never manage to flash the XT firmware on the RX 5700 card. I will try again soon to see if that has changed.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
Brian Duchesneau
(@brian_duchesneau)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor

Great link, thank you!

2018 macmini i7 32GB/1TB SSD - OWC 650W - RX5700XT / Sonnet Breakaway Box RX/580 - OSX Catalina10.15.1 / Bootcamp

ReplyQuote
craftsman
(@craftsman)
Trusted Member

I made plenty of money this year with the Radeon VII eGPU that I purchased to help my heavy workload. I knew the sleep bug would never be fixed so to me this was a temporary solution until a new GPU came along that had proper eGPU support.

I was lucky today to find a 5700 XT 50th Anniversary Edition for the same price as a used regular flavour version. It's quieter than the Radeon VII, a very good all round performance and sleep functions normal, although on the first try the GPU was having trouble waking the display.

I have now ran it through some tests. For some reason my Geekbench Metal score is 11,000 points higher than the score listed on Geekbench's charts.

Screenshot 2019 11 08 at 20.46.38
Screenshot 2019 11 08 at 20.40.56
Screenshot 2019 11 08 at 20.16.18
IMG 8609

MacBook Pro 15" 2018, Radeon 5700 XT 50th Anniversary Edition, Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
harkonnen
(@mehenn)
Estimable Member

What sleep bug? Is it occuring with RX580? I also see Apple is selling some eGPUs on their shop. What are the conditions for teh sleep bug to appear?

This post was modified 4 days ago

late-2016 13" Macbook Pro + [email protected] (TB3 to TB2 adapter) (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.12.3
late-2016 13" MBP + Quadro M2000/FirePro WX5100/GTX750-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + macOS 10.12.3
(Custom Thunder cables)

ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

Had someone ran some test on the recently released macOS 10.15.2 beta 1 ? If so, can we expect any noticeable performance improvements on Navi drivers?

Razer Core X + AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT - Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2019 Radeon 560X

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

@precision01 yes! I can confirm it! Better results with the new beta. All the benchmark results are better than before. Here my Unigine Valley (previous result 67.6 FPS):

Schermata 2019 11 11 alle 22.19.36

And Geekbench (previous result 35874 - Geekbench 10.15.1):

Schermata 2019 11 11 alle 22.25.33

This post was modified 16 hours ago

2016 13" MacBook Pro + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903

ReplyQuote
L8on
 L8on
(@l8on)

@evangelos_vasilaropoulos

Hi, I’ve been following this thread for 3 months. I haven’t bought a GPU yet but have been deciding between Power Colour’s Red Devil or the Sapphire Nitro +. Your comments of how the Core X needs to be rebooted every time the computer is rebooted with the Sapphire concerns me as to why I would choose the Sapphire over the the Red Devil. Knowing what you now know, would you recommend the Sapphire over the Devil?

This post was modified 8 hours ago

MacBook Pro 13" 2018 TouchBar 512/16
Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
(@evangelos_vasilaropoulos)

Only because of the trixx software that you can gain some fps lower the resolution. About the the switch that I have to turn on everytime I boot, maybe it’s a bug on my windows and I need to reinstall, this I want to avoid right now. I test another same card and I experience the same problem. The dragon is better looking card with the rub lights inside the fan. With the nitro though I get better score with oc. I hope that helps. 

ReplyQuote
L8on
 L8on
(@l8on)

Thanks for the quick response! I also saw in earlier posts that the Trixx software also had some incompatibilities with your setup, has it improved since late October with additional updates?

MacBook Pro 13" 2018 TouchBar 512/16
Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Desmo_duo
(@desmo_duo)

Posted by: @l8on

Hi, I’ve been following this thread for 3 months. I haven’t bought a GPU yet but have been deciding between Power Colour’s Red Devil or the Sapphire Nitro +. Your comments of how the Core X needs to be rebooted every time the computer is rebooted with the Sapphire concerns me as to why I would choose the Sapphire over the the Red Devil. Knowing what you now know, would you recommend the Sapphire over the Devil?

Hey guys - me too - but I'm not sure. Should I go with a RX5700XT or Radeon VII. Egpu will be used only for FCP / Resolve (no Gaming/Bootcamp)
My Setup: Mac Pro D500 trashcan with 2 displays (Apple Thunderbolt and NEC Multisync via DVI/TB adapter)

Cheers

Mac Pro 2013 - D500 - 32GB
EGPU pending

ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

@jefniro

Interesting. I've also run some testes and there's no difference for me. In fact, there's something I find very odd here: Why would my OpenCL Score be about half of yours? You are getting 60's and I'm getting 30's.

Do you have any idea about what is happening?

Captura de Tela 2019 11 12 às 08.44.54
Captura de Tela 2019 11 12 às 08.43.17

Razer Core X + AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT - Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2019 Radeon 560X

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

@precision01 I'm surprised too, I need to say... this is why I made it two times! 🙂 I really don't know why but this evening I will put online the results with details.

2016 13" MacBook Pro + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903

ReplyQuote
 of  11