[Solved] AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT  

of  43
  RSS

BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Trusted Member

@elbert

Currently no as they aren’t supported, though that should change in the future 

2019 15" MBP running 10.14.5 + Bootcamp Win 10 (18362.295)
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9
Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
eGPU: Red Devil 5700 xt in a Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

FYI: Hellm creator of SoftPowerPlayTable mod released MorePowerTool (MPT) for Radeon RX 5700 [XT] exclusively to Igor's LAB.

Check here: https://www.igorslab.media/morepowertool-amd-radeon-rx-5700-und-rx-5700-xt-tweaking-and-overclocking-software/

Use at your own risk - not suitable with all settings for 24/7 use in productive systems - use an adequate cooling solution!

This post was modified 1 year ago

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Downunder
(@downunder)

Hello everyone,

I'm about to dive into the world of egpu's. Reading this thread has me wondering, is there any realistic likelihood that there will be macOS support for the 5700 & XT cards in the future or is it pure speculation?

In my location currently both the Vega 64 and 5700XT can be had for around $600 local currency, I primarily want the eGPU to game in windows but macOS support would never go astray. 

I see that it's been easy to implement for those with the 13" MacBook Pro, tipping it won't be so simple for the 15" 

My preference is to get the 5700XT but this thread doesn't fill me with great promise.

MacBook Pro 2019 15" i9
Razer Core X
GPU: Vega 64

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

People expect Navi support but I think you are right to be cautious... there are no current Macs with Navi cards, the Mac Pro that hasn't been released yet still has a previous gen RX 580 which is pretty crackers. I'd guess iMacs will be the first to get Navi GPUs, although they may be lower end than the 5700XT.
It's a tough time to jump in, I'd be inclined to wait a little longer or grab something lower end second hand to tide you over...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The best performance value GPU for Mac users atm is RX Vega 56. The drivers are well optimized and a nice card is around US$300. Navi cards will likely take another year to have drivers as good as Vega.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Tailrotorblade
(@tailrotorblade)

Posted by: @naced

Hi all,

I try to understand everything but it's quite hard to me (I'm french and really not good in other language ^^)
If I understand the AMD 5700 aren't support by mac currently.

We don't have any date to know when it will be ok ?

I have 2 questions, if you can help me it's will be very nice.

1/ Does the RX AMD 5700 XT is compatible on Widows (by boot camp) ?

I'm graphic designer and I play video game too.
So, I want to use mac with eGPU for graphism. And Windows to play game.
2/ Does you think that it will be enought powerful if I use a Razer Core X with AMD RX 5700 XT on mac mini i7 ?

Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry if the questions have already been addressed.

Hello Naced (I'm French too),

I've just bought a Razer Core X and a RX5700XT for testing XPlane 11 with BootCamp. 
I have a Mac mini mid 2018 like you and eGPU works fine with Windows 10.
But performance are not as good as I'd expected... I have 30fps max with Xplane in 1080p (I use video output from the card to display). 

Thierry

This post was modified 12 months ago

Mac mini 2018 hex 32Go Ram - Razer Core X - AMD RX5700XT
MacBook Pro 13 2019 - 8Go - 2TB3

Naced liked
ReplyQuote
Downunder
(@downunder)

If performance is on par with the Vega 64 currently certainly seems like a good future proof purchase looking towards those improved drivers in future.

MacBook Pro 2019 15" i9
Razer Core X
GPU: Vega 64

ReplyQuote
newtoegpus
(@newtoegpus)

As my username suggests, this is my first time thinking about getting a build with an egpu, and even after looking through lots of posts on this site, I would like to ask some questions before I go and buy everything.

I am thinking of getting a 2018 mac mini with a Razer Core X and Radeon 5700xt epu. I would be connecting the display from the egpu directly, which from my understanding is the best way performance wise. I am aware that the Navi cards are not supported on macOS yet, but I am looking to get something I will not have to replace for years to come, and as such, am hesitant to go with a Vega 56/64 or an RX580. So I was wondering, is it likely that the Navi cards will be supported in Catalina come fall? And also, will this setup be likely to work in bootcamp? I read on this site that the mac mini should be easy to set up a bootcamp egpu with because of the lack of a discrete card, but will the 5700xt work on bootcamp for it?

Thanks for the help!

P.S. If this is the wrong place to post something like this, please let me know where I should go!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Tailrotorblade
(@tailrotorblade)

Hello newtoegpus,

a Mac mini 2018, a Razer Core X and a rx5700xt will work fine with bootcamp. W10 support Navi and egpu. This is my config.

For Navi’s macOS driver I hope Catalina will support it. 

Thierry

Mac mini 2018 hex 32Go Ram - Razer Core X - AMD RX5700XT
MacBook Pro 13 2019 - 8Go - 2TB3

ReplyQuote
kushNYC
(@kushnyc)
Eminent Member

Just came across this fairly reliable rumor article about near-future Navi iterations. Take it with a grain of salt but it seems promising.

2018 MacBook Pro 15" 2.9Ghz i9 32GB Vega 20 + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII
ASUS ROG Zephyrus M GM501 2.2Ghz i7 16GB + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon RX 5700XT

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  43