Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT  

of  43
  RSS

BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Trusted Member

Just tested my red devil card and it doesn’t seem to be detected. Hot plugged and it lights up but doesn’t run. Not detected under device manager either. similar to the VII I had a bit ago. 

was hoping this would be a plug and play card by the time i got it lol. Alas looks like I’ll have to figure something out including a new bootcamp build since I’m running the wrong version atm. Advice is welcome since it looks like I’ll be doing more than previously thought.

This post was modified 2 years ago

2019 15" MBP + Bootcamp Win 10 (19041.508)
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9
Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
eGPU: Red Devil 5700 xt in a Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@eightarmedpet I tested the 2017 13" MacBook Pro with Mantiz Venus + RX 5700 XT eGPU tonight. They worked without issues through automate-eGPU EFI. Windows 10 1903 OS Build 19382.449 and Adrenalin version 19.10.2. I was also able to use a USB-C FHD monitor through the same left-side Thunderbolt 3 controller. I will post a build guide in the morning with step-by-step instructions and benchmarks (internal display, loopback, and external monitor). 10.15.1 Public Beta 2 is available so you don't need a Dev account to install it, just in case you need to test the RX 5700 XT in macOS.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
tony7711
(@tony7711)

Google bring me here. And thank you all, today MSI RX 5700 XT reference + Razer Core X + Late 2016 MBP are working; of course Mac OS 10.15.1.

Connection:

Razer Core X <- - --> Late 2016 MBP <-- --> LG 5K

One ThunderBolt 3 cable comes with Razer Core X, the other comes with LG 5K, both are Intel Certified with Lighting and 3 logos on it

Appreciate if anyone can help with these issues; any thoughts and advices are appreciated.

1. iMovie shut off within one second, I did not turn on Prefer External GPU since I don't have this option.

2. Photo runs fine if I open it on MBP; it keeps running when I drug it to LG 5K; but if I open any photo; it shuts off right away. And error report screen comes. 

If I turn off Prefer External GPU for Photo; then Photo works perfectly on LG 5K and MBP.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

cheers for the info! Didn't realise public was out... installed and tested here

TLDR: eGPU caused kernel panic in macOS which makes me think it is hardware related as Vega is fine?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@eightarmedpet Kernel panic in macOS is typically a sign of hardware incompatibility/issue.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
WillyC
(@willyc)

Posted by: @beardedbro

Just tested my red devil card and it doesn’t seem to be detected.

I don’t like to hear this as I have one of these on the way. 

Does anyone here have the Red Devil 5700 xt card working in an eGPU? (Either in Catalina beta or in Bootcamp)?

@beardedbro - let us know if you get it working or learn anything. I post my experience with it when it arrives next week. 

Mac Mini 2018 (64 GB, 1TB)
Asus XG Station Pro
Red Devil 5700XT

ReplyQuote
Evangelos Vasilaropoulos
(@evangelos_vasilaropoulos)
Eminent Member

I had one and I confirm is working in Catalina and in Windows with egpu and Mac mini 2018. I just return it and went with the sapphire nitro + 5700 xt cause of the TriXX software of the sapphire. With sapphire I get little better 3dmark score but the rgb is not so beautiful like the red devil. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
WillyC
(@willyc)

@evangelos_vasilaropoulos

Awesome - thanks for taking the time to reply.  I was also looking at the Nitro + originally but availability was poor where/when I was ordering.  For my use case I don't think I'll miss the TriXX software but it looks like a good package, and the solid red glow of the RGB (which I guess is what I'm stuck with in macOS) goes my with motif.

Good to know I'll at least have a shot.  My whole package (mini/Asus XG Pro/Red Devil) arrives early next week.  Also hoping the card will fit in that enclosure but I have the enclosure in hand already and it seems like there's lots of room.

Mac Mini 2018 (64 GB, 1TB)
Asus XG Station Pro
Red Devil 5700XT

ReplyQuote
Evangelos Vasilaropoulos
(@evangelos_vasilaropoulos)
Eminent Member

No problem, unfortunately  my nitro has some kernel panic when i try to enable custom resolution on trixx software in some games as the ghost recon breakpoint. Also i have to manually turn off and on the razer egpu to enable the nitro when i start the window. I don't know if this is a faulty card or i have to do fresh of the windows. With the red devil was everything smooth and plug and play when i switch from my previous Vega 64 nitro + card.

ReplyQuote
MacMini_RazerCoreX_Radeon 5700
(@macmini_razercorex_radeon-5700)

@mac_editor  Thank you, -helpful suggestion worked for me.

I read a lot here of people saying Mac OS 10.15.1 beta broke the use of their functioning video cards. I signed up with Apple to get a developer account and downloaded the beta of Catalina and it worked.

Mac OS 10.15.1 (beta 3 from Oct. 24, 2019) works for AMD Radeon Nitro+ 5700 XT

2018 Mac mini
Razer Core X
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 5700 RX
Mac 10.15.1 (beta 3 from Oct. 24, 2019)

ReplyQuote
 of  43