[Solved] AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT  

of  43
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@macmini_razercorex_radeon-5700

Public betas are free to download.

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

Just got my 5700XT and got it working on boot camp. Took a few tries. Boots up now with the eGPU connected and runs a treat. Just need to get my Huawei VR cable to connect to the Ultrafine.  Using a spare HDMI monitor at the moment to confirm it’s ok. 

2018 Mac Mini i7 / 256 / 16GB
2019 24" LG Ultrafine 4k Monitor
Razer Core X + Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
biglittlefrank
(@biglittlefrank)

Is there anyone who made some benchmarks with 10.15.1 b3 to compare the performance of the 5700 XT via eGPU? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

@lie

I want to see more pics of your set up! Every time I go to sell my Ultrafine someone posts pics of theirs and I remember how damn nice they are. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @eightarmedpet

@lie

I want to see more pics of your set up! Every time I go to sell my Ultrafine someone posts pics of theirs and I remember how damn nice they are. 

Setup isn’t complete yet but here is the most recent photo.

2018 Mac Mini i7 / 256 / 16GB
2019 24" LG Ultrafine 4k Monitor
Razer Core X + Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT

WillyC, jefniro, Eightarmedpet and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
Christopher Straßer
(@christopher_straser)
Eminent Member

Any Mac users interested in overclocking / undervolting the RX 5700 (XT) cards should look here: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/340909-tool-amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-powerplay-table-generator

This tool allows you to generate a custom PowerPlay Table. It's intended mainly for Hackintosh users, but injecting the PPT with a Dummy Kext works on a real Mac as well no matter if on a Mac Pro or on any Mac using an eGPU.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@christopher_straser

Thanks for sharing! Ive used a Vega PPT generator for a Vega 64 (VegaTAB I think it was) previously. Though it didn’t work as a codeless kext at the time - I had to inject it directly into AMD10000Controller’s Info plist.

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Christopher Straßer
(@christopher_straser)
Eminent Member

Regarding Vega 56/64: Never use VGTab. It lacks an option for the MinimumPWMLimit which varies across different card models. If the MinimumPWMLimit doesn't match your card, the actual fan speed will not reflect the speed set by the driver - either will be too slow or too fast. This obviously can cause overheating, thermal throttling, sudden shut downs and excessive fan noise.

Dummy kext works fine if done right. Just don't make the mistake and create a 10000Controller dummy kext since this would not be update proof.

This post was modified 2 years ago

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@christopher_straser

VGTab works fine for reference models IIRC so it was okay for me.

Am familiar with codeless kexts (also used it for eGPU support for older AMD cards) but unsure what I did wrong when I tried last - was loadable, had IOKit personality of 10000Controller with higher probe score, and power play table and power limit configuration (essentially what VGTab generates I think). Anyway, if I have time (and once my Mac is back from repair), I’ll give Navi overclocking a shot. If you don’t mind, I’ll reach out here if I have trouble with the kext. I should already have the settings I need since I’ve done it in Windows. 

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
 of  43