AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT

AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT  

of  4
  RSS

joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @itsage

Dedicated fan controller would likely work but soldering the power connection with water lines crammed in this enclosure seems like a very bad idea to me.

Does the radiator need to be installed before the fan controller? Maybe remove the radiator, solder a new power connector, then install the radiator and fan controller and use the new power connector for the fan controller.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

I agree with @joevt, the point is not where to get 12v from the enclosure/card, but if the pump running over 12v is not too loud for you.

If i remember correctly the pump need at least 7/9v to start up, if it is too loud @12v, you can add a resistor to lower a bit the voltage to 8/9v.

If you already tested the loop @12v and the noise is not an issue, you have plenty of places where to get 12v, even without soldering.

This post was modified 1 month ago

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

Does there exist a fan controller with temperature sensor that controls fan speed depending on temperature? Is that something one would use with a water cooler? I don't think pump speed matters much with water cooling - faster flow means less time getting heated but also less time getting cooled. A larger radiator gives more cooling. A larger reservoir gives more heat capacity to even out spikes but doesn't matter for tasks that last longer than it takes to reach max temperature.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Eminent Member

I just sent my Vii back so I’m hoping AMD launches bootcamp support for the 5700 as well. Anyone think that’s a possibility? I want to buy the 5700 but with how the VII crashed and burned in the bootcamp department (even though I was hoping it wouldn’t) I don’t want to lose out.

2019 15" MBP running 10.14.5 + Bootcamp Win 10
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9
Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
(e)GPU: Radeon VII in a Razer Core X Chroma (working-ish)

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Wahoo... just got an update saying my RX 5700XT is being dispatched earlier than expected.

Should be with me by end of the month.

And incase anyone missed it, I somehow snagged an XT for the price of the normal version (or less), there may have been a listing mistake as its now listed at £100 more than what I paid.

Can someone nudge Apple to sort out drivers now please?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @eightarmedpet

Wahoo... just got an update saying my RX 5700XT is being dispatched earlier than expected.

Should be with me by end of the month.

And incase anyone missed it, I somehow snagged an XT for the price of the normal version (or less), there may have been a listing mistake as its now listed at £100 more than what I paid.

Can someone nudge Apple to sort out drivers now please?

Do you think they will put out bootcamp support for this card as well? I’m new to how all this works so idk how drivers are operated by AMD and Apple via bootcamp. I’ve been looking for a good card to run in bootcamp for BL3 etc.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@beardedbro pretty sure they are already working in Bootcamp - @itsage posted a build up thread. While not officially supported the drivers exist. Let me go double check that...

yep,here.

---

ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Eminent Member

@beardedbro pretty sure they are already working in Bootcamp - @itsage posted a build up thread. While not officially supported the drivers exist. Let me go double check that...

yep,here.

Awesome! I have a really really noobish question (sorry if it’s slightly off topic). When going to buy the card there’s quite a few different prices. What makes MSI’s card worth $100 more than base or what makes XFX cost base price. 

Im looking at specs and most are like 14GHz but ones 1.4 and ones 1,605MHz and some have pci express x4 where as others have x8. I’m just confused as to why one card costs 100 more than another with the same stuff and the base one costs the same as other cards etc.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Posted by: @beardedbro

yep,here.

Awesome! I have a really really noobish question (sorry if it’s slightly off topic). When going to buy the card there’s quite a few different prices. What makes MSI’s card worth $100 more than base or what makes XFX cost base price. 

Im looking at specs and most are like 14GHz but ones 1.4 and ones 1,605MHz and some have pci express x4 where as others have x8. I’m just confused as to why one card costs 100 more than another with the same stuff and the base one costs the same as other cards etc.

I think computer parts are designed to confuse people, if they did not how would vendors sell more of identical products?
Right now, there is no difference between any card, apart from the sticker, you're misreading specs I think, they are all reference models which means all the same design and spec. Price is prob driven by manufactures margins or sneaky selling practices. I think my price was a mistake, I'm not 100% convinced the card will ever arrive but will see.

---

ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @beardedbro

yep,here.

I think computer parts are designed to confuse people, if they did not how would vendors sell more of identical products?
Right now, there is no difference between any card, apart from the sticker, you're misreading specs I think, they are all reference models which means all the same design and spec. Price is prob driven by manufactures margins or sneaky selling practices. I think my price was a mistake, I'm not 100% convinced the card will ever arrive but will see.

See I thought I was reading it wrong but MSI has one that runs pci express 16 with an AMD Radeon VII coprocessor whereas XFX has one that runs with a RX5700 XT coprocessor. Sapphire on the other hand runs with a Navi 10 XL co processor. That’s why I’m so confused cause I thought they had to wait like a month before they could modify the cards and stuff. I’m looking right at amazon (who thankfully accepted my 7 back for a return).

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@beardedbro someone is on some good strong drugs.

It's either...
1. Me
2. You
3. The person who wrote those descriptions.

It's just gone 5PM GMT so it sure as shit ain't me.

---

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Eminent Member

@beardedbro someone is on some good strong drugs.

It's either...
1. Me
2. You
3. The person who wrote those descriptions.

It's just gone 5PM GMT so it sure as shit ain't me.

It’s mid day here so it sure as hell at me either lol. Bit to early to bust out the booze. 

Even the damn dimensions are off on some of them. One says 10.6x1.6x4.3 another says 14.75x9.75x2.75 and a third says 14.25x8.5x2.5.

like what the hell is going on....

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

If thats Amazon one could be the box size and one could be the GPU size...

Or drugs, an entire pint of drugs.

---

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

@joevt

Pretty sure it exist somewhere, cases already use external fan controller where one can plug up to 8 fans and connect also to the motherboard for fan speed control.
Something like this: https://www.banggood.com/SATA-PWM-Fan-Hub-Speed-Controller-Regulator-For-Computer-Case-Fans-p-1263984.html
Some can be a bit more complicated incorporating T° probes/control and more advanced features, rhéobus like.

Also you are right about the liquid speed it doesn't matter so much, my point was more about the pump noise output. I can bother some when these run @12v.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

E=Mc²

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Eminent Member

I’m just gonna assume item dimensions for the box, I give up lol. 

Ive been reading that it seems to over heat and crashes a lot, would it be worth buying now or waiting for the custom ones to come out? $400 isn’t bad at all for it but I’m not sure just how easy it is to upgrade the cooling systems on cards. 

Any thoughts?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

I’d wait for third party non reference designs. I was going to put found a deal to good to pass on.

---

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Eminent Member

Really cool but slightly disappointing article:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1883-overclocking-radeon-rx-5700/

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The RX 5700 XT is meant to go head-to-head with RTX 2060 Super. AMD has more Navi options to compete with Nvidia higher performing GPUs soon.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @itsage

The RX 5700 XT is meant to go head-to-head with RTX 2060 Super. AMD has more Navi options to compete with Nvidia higher performing GPUs soon.

I was unaware of this, when are those anticipated? Any info aside from that on them or are we just playing the waiting game?

ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Eminent Member

Found this cool site last night and thought I’d share. When comparing the 5700 XT vs a 1080 Ti, the results are rather similar (on paper it seems) which is a huge win for AMD since the 5700 is about half the price. Can’t wait to see what happens with the custom cards. 

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT/3918vs4045

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@beardedbro No specifics as to when the higher performing Navi will launch. My hope is before the holiday season this year. The RX 5700 XT is very good card at $399. It is by no means similar in performance with GTX 1080 Ti. IMO a used GTX 1080 Ti is the best value atm. 

wimpzilla liked
ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Techpowerup report that AMD raised the 5700 series idle fan speed to 22% in the 19.7.3 driver, from  13% on the previous one.

If one feel the turbine too loud at idle, just avoid the latest AMD driver: https://www.techpowerup.com/257773/amd-radeon-19-7-3-drivers-increase-rx-5700-series-idle-fan-speeds-by-over-50

Also the site report about a larger Navi die being on track, as expected: https://www.techpowerup.com/257761/amd-readies-larger-7nm-navi-12-silicon-to-power-radeon-rx-5800-series

Still none on the site reported about productivity using the new Navi cards?! 

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
(@fasaso)

i finally managed to get the rx5700xt running with my macbook pro 2018. I have the latest drivers from bootcampdrivers.com. So far I haven't had any problems and the performance is more than satisfactory. I can run most games without any problems on 4k with high graphics settings. only the CPU makes me a bit worried with temperatures of 90~95°C.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Eminent Member

Custom cards by ASRock have been confirmed for release by the 2nd week of August. I expect others will release around this time as well.

link:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techpowerup.com/257796/asrock-confirms-mid-august-launch-of-its-custom-rx-5700-xt%3famp

ReplyQuote
Naced
(@naced)

Hi all,

I try to understand everything but it's quite hard to me (I'm french and really not good in other language ^^)
If I understand the AMD 5700 aren't support by mac currently.

We don't have any date to know when it will be ok ?

I have 2 questions, if you can help me it's will be very nice.

1/ Does the RX AMD 5700 XT is compatible on Widows (by boot camp) ?

I'm graphic designer and I play video game too.
So, I want to use mac with eGPU for graphism. And Windows to play game.
2/ Does you think that it will be enought powerful if I use a Razer Core X with AMD RX 5700 XT on mac mini i7 ?

Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry if the questions have already been addressed.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@naced There's no drivers for Navi cards in macOS as of 10.15 Catalina Beta 5. They work in Windows and Boot Camp but drivers need more optimization. These RX 5700/XT cards are efficient in terms of power so they work with the majority of eGPU enclosures currently available.

Naced liked
ReplyQuote
elbert
(@elbert)

Can we use this GPU with macOS 10.14.6?

ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Eminent Member

@elbert

Currently no as they aren’t supported, though that should change in the future 

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

FYI: Hellm creator of SoftPowerPlayTable mod released MorePowerTool (MPT) for Radeon RX 5700 [XT] exclusively to Igor's LAB.

Check here: https://www.igorslab.media/morepowertool-amd-radeon-rx-5700-und-rx-5700-xt-tweaking-and-overclocking-software/

Use at your own risk - not suitable with all settings for 24/7 use in productive systems - use an adequate cooling solution!

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
Downunder
(@downunder)

Hello everyone,

I'm about to dive into the world of egpu's. Reading this thread has me wondering, is there any realistic likelihood that there will be macOS support for the 5700 & XT cards in the future or is it pure speculation?

In my location currently both the Vega 64 and 5700XT can be had for around $600 local currency, I primarily want the eGPU to game in windows but macOS support would never go astray. 

I see that it's been easy to implement for those with the 13" MacBook Pro, tipping it won't be so simple for the 15" 

My preference is to get the 5700XT but this thread doesn't fill me with great promise.

MacBook Pro 2019 15" i9
Razer Core X
GPU: Vega 64

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

People expect Navi support but I think you are right to be cautious... there are no current Macs with Navi cards, the Mac Pro that hasn't been released yet still has a previous gen RX 580 which is pretty crackers. I'd guess iMacs will be the first to get Navi GPUs, although they may be lower end than the 5700XT.
It's a tough time to jump in, I'd be inclined to wait a little longer or grab something lower end second hand to tide you over...

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The best performance value GPU for Mac users atm is RX Vega 56. The drivers are well optimized and a nice card is around US$300. Navi cards will likely take another year to have drivers as good as Vega.

ReplyQuote
Tailrotorblade
(@tailrotorblade)

Posted by: @naced

Hi all,

I try to understand everything but it's quite hard to me (I'm french and really not good in other language ^^)
If I understand the AMD 5700 aren't support by mac currently.

We don't have any date to know when it will be ok ?

I have 2 questions, if you can help me it's will be very nice.

1/ Does the RX AMD 5700 XT is compatible on Widows (by boot camp) ?

I'm graphic designer and I play video game too.
So, I want to use mac with eGPU for graphism. And Windows to play game.
2/ Does you think that it will be enought powerful if I use a Razer Core X with AMD RX 5700 XT on mac mini i7 ?

Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry if the questions have already been addressed.

Hello Naced (I'm French too),

I've just bought a Razor Core X and a RX5700XT for testing XPlane 11 with BootCamp. 
I have a Mac mini mid 2018 like you and eGPU works fine with Windows 10.
But performance are not as good as I'd expected... I have 30fps max with Xplane in 1080p (I use video output from the card to display). 

Thierry

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Mac mini 2018 hex 32Go Ram - Razer Core X - AMD RX5700XT

Naced liked
ReplyQuote
Downunder
(@downunder)

If performance is on par with the Vega 64 currently certainly seems like a good future proof purchase looking towards those improved drivers in future.

MacBook Pro 2019 15" i9
Razer Core X
GPU: Vega 64

ReplyQuote
newtoegpus
(@newtoegpus)

As my username suggests, this is my first time thinking about getting a build with an egpu, and even after looking through lots of posts on this site, I would like to ask some questions before I go and buy everything.

I am thinking of getting a 2018 mac mini with a Razer Core X and Radeon 5700xt epu. I would be connecting the display from the egpu directly, which from my understanding is the best way performance wise. I am aware that the Navi cards are not supported on macOS yet, but I am looking to get something I will not have to replace for years to come, and as such, am hesitant to go with a Vega 56/64 or an RX580. So I was wondering, is it likely that the Navi cards will be supported in Catalina come fall? And also, will this setup be likely to work in bootcamp? I read on this site that the mac mini should be easy to set up a bootcamp egpu with because of the lack of a discrete card, but will the 5700xt work on bootcamp for it?

Thanks for the help!

P.S. If this is the wrong place to post something like this, please let me know where I should go!

ReplyQuote
 of  4