Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT

[Solved] AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT  

of  7
  RSS

Tailrotorblade
(@tailrotorblade)

Hello newtoegpus,

a Mac mini 2018, a Razer Core X and a rx5700xt will work fine with bootcamp. W10 support Navi and egpu. This is my config.

For Navi’s macOS driver I hope Catalina will support it. 

Thierry

Mac mini 2018 hex 32Go Ram - Razer Core X - AMD RX5700XT

ReplyQuote
kushNYC
(@kushnyc)

Just came across this fairly reliable rumor article about near-future Navi iterations. Take it with a grain of salt but it seems promising.

+ Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII (macOS 10.14.5 GM)
+ Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII (Windows 10 Pro)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@kushnyc Imagine a Radeon card with two Navi dies. AMD has done this fairly often with Radeon Duo series through different GPU families.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
kushNYC
(@kushnyc)

@itsage oh I can imagine it - Vega II Duo is around the corner.  But my gut says we won’t see Navi Duo for consumers - if ever it won’t be until another process shrink - maybe 4nm?  They still have plenty of headroom to scale up a larger die that consumes < 280W and rivals nVidia’s top end.

+ Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII (Windows 10 Pro)

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

RX5700xt custom designs are finally coming out, one can find some reviews here:
- https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-5700-xt-strix-oc/
- https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-pulse/
- https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/133400-sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-pulse/
- https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-radeon-rx-5700-xt-rog-strix-review.html
Also TechpowerUp reported that AMD will still continue to offer its blower solution along the custom gpu solutions.

Closing thought, i was thinking that custom pcb's would bring some overall additional performances to the card, but i was wrong.
It seems, at the end, that AMD already maxed out navi by default, not much overclocking room is left.
It also seems the card will still top out at 2.1ghz +/- even with a decent air cooler, it's the drivers boosting algorithm that impose the gpu speed at then end.
So my take on this is to buy the cheapest custom air cooled solution [After had leveraged couple reviews], i saw the sapphire model selling 20e more than the basic AMD blower model.
If custom models price drop a bit and drivers begin to be efficient in games [Console release matter here], navi will be a fairly competitive mid/high end gpu.

This post was modified 2 months ago

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Eminent Member

So overclocking is basically not an option it seems? Is that because of the board or the chip or what? Is it still worth getting one of you can’t overclock it?

2019 15" MBP running 10.14.5 + Bootcamp Win 10
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9
Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
(e)GPU: Radeon VII in a Razer Core X Chroma (working-ish)

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

@BeardedBro
I would maybe need to rephrase the sentence into: not much overclocking is left for AIB partners to offer better graphic performances.
More or less like Nvidia is already doing with its partners, still Nvidia don't need them to propose a better overall product to the customer, unlike AMD.
The custom Pulse Sapphire is on overall better card for only 20e more with better noise and thermals output, but AMD couldn't bother with its the custom design.

Also one can definitively overclock the gpu if he wish so, one can find the link of the tool to overclock the RX5700 series in the thread.
Under air cooling it will top out to 2.1Ghz +/- as said previously, one can reach 2.2Ghz+ under water. 
But i suppose that AMD is already squeezing the max of navi, 7nm don't scale well with voltage so clocks, due to the transistor density and T° hotspots.

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

Does anyone else want a Aorus gaming box version? Do you think they would do this?

2019 13" MacBook Pro (i7 & 16GB RAM) - MacOS + Win10
Late 2012 Mac Mini - MacOS + Win10
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
Cinepresa
(@cinepresa)

Hi there!
Need to buy an AMD external graphic card to make video editing with DAVINCI with my MACBOOK PRO 2016.
As I read there aren't drivers for the new AMD RX 5700 & XT version. Is it correct?

So, I'm force to buy the more expensive NAVI VII graphic card?
Thank you.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

@Cinepresa
There is no drivers supporting Navi for MacOS, at the moment of writing this post!
Also if you want my bare opinion, don't bet on apple god will to deliver driver for Navi, at the end it's competing with its own supported Vega gpu's!
Apple signed for the Vega architecture, i suppose some 7nm Vega dies have been shipped to apple for single and dual gpu integration.
So Navi drivers are not the main apple issue at the moment, still hope to be proved wrong tho.

Also as @itsage pointed out multiples time, Vega64 is the best price/perf at the moment for MacOS usage.
I would not advice to buy Radeon 7, unless you really need the computation power or have some buck to lend out and like full fan noise when put to sleep.

@ICULikeMac
I hope so, custom version of the card would fit nicely and are powerful enough to be relevant.
We need to wait and see how the RX5700 sell out, if it become profitable manufacturers will think about proposing also an eGPU box.

@jefniro
I would still check reviews and user experience before even thinking buying it.
Here you can find the review of its little sister: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-radeon-rx-5700-xt-evoke/

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

@wimpzilla I'm not really a "one-more-frame-please" addicted! With a egpu I have 20% less performance than a "normal" PC configuration...so I'm not interessed to some insane reviews about benchmarks! 😀 I only want to upgrade my current system (RX 480), a good looking GPU (that I like at least...), 2 slot max width and that it's not from XFX manufacturer and (sure)... I check the price of it! With the MECH I assume that it has a good air flow, better than the reference one at least...

About the drivers I hope you are wrong, nobody knows Apple roadmap and they can replace their current official enclosure (RX580) with the new Navi maybe... who knows?

2016 13" MacBook Pro + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903

ReplyQuote
trollied
(@trollied)

Oh, poo.

Bought a RX5700 this afternoon to eGPU with my MacBook Pro. Guess I should have read these forums first 🙁

Hmm, just been having a look around on the latest Catalina beta, and there's Navi10 references in AMDRadeonX4700HWLibs.kext. Is there a way of hacking things to make macOS use a given kext for a specific PCI ID, or have people noticed this before and it's not at all related? 

Razer Core X Chroma. MacBook Pro (2017/13”/i5/16Gb). VEGA 64

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: @oliverb

5nm will be the next step and I don't get the hate against XFX, I only have good experiences.

My statement about 5nm was only an educated guess, it looks correct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_nanometer

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: @trollied

Oh, poo.

Bought a RX5700 this afternoon to eGPU with my MacBook Pro. Guess I should have read these forums first 🙁

Hmm, just been having a look around on the latest Catalina beta, and there’s Navi10 references in AMDRadeonX4700HWLibs.kext. Is there a way of hacking things to make macOS use a given kext for a specific PCI ID, or have people noticed this before and it’s not at all related? 

Which build version of Catalina beta are you running? Where do you see AMDRadeonX4700HWLibs.kext?

ReplyQuote
trollied
(@trollied)

Posted by: @itsage
Posted by: @trollied

Oh, poo.

Hmm, just been having a look around on the latest Catalina beta, and there's Navi10 references in AMDRadeonX4700HWLibs.kext. Is there a way of hacking things to make macOS use a given kext for a specific PCI ID, or have people noticed this before and it's not at all related? 

Which build version of Catalina beta are you running? Where do you see AMDRadeonX4700HWLibs.kext?

I used find & strings. Had a bit of a google & it turns out that it’s a red herring https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ajyak2/i_was_wrong_about_navi/

I’ve RMAed the card & am going to get a VEGA 64.

If beta 6 comes out today with Navi support I’ll actually cry 😩

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
trollied
(@trollied)

Oh no, beta 6 is out... *Updates*

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@trollied I just installed Beta 6 but PCI ID 731F is no where to be found.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Posted by: @itsage

@trollied I just installed Beta 6 but PCI ID 731F is no where to be found.

Me too. Pretty much nothing significant after looking around for 3min. It is likely the case that with addition of Navi we will see new kexts (or driver/system extensions - but GPU drivers are not possible with this new API yet), but given Apple wants to move away from kexts, who knows.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

@wimpzilla That's it....

ReplyQuote
trollied
(@trollied)

Ended up replacing it with a Vega 64. I think it’s too loud though 🙁

May get a quieter GPU, or a longer cable so that I can put the Chroma on the floor.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

@jefniro
Dunno why but MSI opted for noisier fan curve, even with perfectly capable coolers.
Maybe for squeeze the last couple of mhz from the core, going a couple of c° lower with a more aggressive fan curve.
Still one can set the fan a bit slower if bothered, the cooler can take it easily.
Also dunno if AMD did fixed the fan setting bug when one want to restore/change again the fan value.

@trollied
By any chance, did you picked the AMD reference Vega 64 blower card?!

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
trollied
(@trollied)

@wimpzilla The MSI 64 Air Boost. 

Is there any way to slow the fan down? I don’t mind losing a bit of performance.

A bit of a google suggests that you can’t underclock easily in stock macOS.

I’m old & the last bit of messing about with hardware was when I had a Pentium 75 back in the day 🦄

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

@trollied
I have no experience in MacOs, but it should be possible i suppose.

If you think holding on the card at least some months, do yourself a favor replacing the thermal paste with some good one.
I mean, if you have enough experience to disassemble thing without messing around, there are plenty of video about how to.
The card will run cooler than with the stock thermal paste, being also quieter by the same occasion.

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@trollied Exchange for Sapphire Pulse RX Vega 56 or PowerColor Red Dragon RX Vega 56. They use a Nano board with massive heatsink that’s accompanied by three large fans. These two cards are the coolest and quietest Vega GPUs.

jefniro liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@trollied

If you can send the card back and grab a non blower multi fan design, I hear good things about the gigabyte cards. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
trollied
(@trollied)

I’ve purchased a Belkin 2m Thunderbolt cable and placed the Chroma on the floor. The desk was somehow amplifying the noise from the GPU - it’s fine now 😁

ReplyQuote
trollied
(@trollied)

macOS Catalina Developer Beta 7 is out...

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

Arrived just today...first attempt with Windows, it rocks!!! 😀 

20190828 201956
20190828 202050 HDR
20190828 202017
20190828 192725
20190828 192554

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
shazzsteel
(@shazzsteel)

Hey everyone. I'm new to eGPUs as well and am considering one for the sole purpose of gaming in Windows 10 Bootcamp. Was wondering if anyone got a 5700 or 5700XT working on a 27" iMac 2017 (currently has a Rx580 inside). Would I be limited to a AMD card only or can I consider a Nvidia card such as a 2060 or 1080? With that said it doesn't really matter if doesn't work in MacOS.

I was comparing between eGPUs and didn't really see much different in them aside from ports and design/aesthetics, though people seem to be favouring the Razer Core X. Is there any particular reason why or is it just a preference?

Seems like it's not really possible to get the full graphical performance benefit from an eGPU. How hard can I expect a decrease in performance? Though my guess this varies from the graphics card chosen and maybe even eGPU choice.

Any idea if it is possible to get both the RX580 AND 5700 card running at the same time or can only one or the other work at once in Windows 10?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
trollied
(@trollied)

Posted by: @shazzsteel

Was wondering if anyone got a 5700 or 5700XT working on a 27" iMac 2017

There aren't currently any macOS drivers.

ReplyQuote
shazzsteel
(@shazzsteel)

@trollied

That's fine since my main purpose is to get it running in Windows 10. I'm guessing BootCampDrivers's Adrenaline Drivers are the way to go?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@trollied I installed 10.15 Dev Beta 7 (19A546d) just now. No PCI ID 731F unfortunately. We will have to wait for at least one more month one Apple releases Catalina to the public.

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

Sooner or later...sooner or later! 😉

ReplyQuote
trollied
(@trollied)

Grr, the latest beta has killed USB on my Chroma.

ReplyQuote
 of  7