Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT  

of  43
  RSS

jefniro
(@jefniro)
Reputable Member

It seems that MSI will put on the market this one, 2x slot width (it seems to me...) Mid August...should be a good choice!

MSI 5700 XT MECH BH1
2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

kushNYC liked
ReplyQuote
gyang776
(@gyang776)

Apple has released the fourth beta of 10.14.6, could someone please verify if it supports RX5700 series?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
vaegpu
(@vaegpu)

@itsage Very noob question but how did you get it to power/accelerate the internal display?

Edit: To clarify, I'm asking about windows 10. The 5700 xt is recognized by Windows, I'm getting AIDA64 results that are similar to yours, but when I run Heaven 4.o I'm getting awful performance (like 6 fps). I configured it to use the GPU in the Graphics Settings page for Heaven and the task manager seems to indicate that it's using the GPU but the framerates are terrible.

This post was modified 1 year ago

2018 Macbook Pro 15" i9-8950HK RX560X w/ RX 5700 XT eGPU

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@vaegpu I was using AMD XConnect to accelerate the 2016 15" MacBook Pro's internal display with RX 5700 XT. This requires a functional Intel iGPU (workaround needed). In your 2018 15" MacBook Pro, it's not possible to use the Intel iGPU unfortunately. You'd need to use Windows Graphics Options to specifically assign the High Performance GPU for each app/game. From your description it's likely your Radeon Pro 560X dGPU is not functioning correctly. I'd recommend downloading the modified July Radeon drivers from Bootcampdrivers.com (not available atm yet). These modified Radeon drivers allows both AMD dGPU and eGPU working together in Boot Camp.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Just ordered an MSI 5700XT off Amazon as it was only £330 for some reason (much cheaper than others).
Might be the lead time (1-3 months) but im in no rush and if the non ref designs are much better I can always return/cancel.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
vaegpu
(@vaegpu)

@gyang776

I just updated to 10.14.6 and it still does not recognize the 5700 XT. I'm using the Razer Core X enclosure.

@itsage I see. Thanks for your help. I've confirmed that the guy behind bootcampdrivers.com is working on a release for the latest July radeon drivers.

ReplyQuote
derNico
(@dernico)

Hi vaegpu,

stupid question, so, if the 5700 is not recognized, will the screen stay blank, when screen is connected to eGPU? Or what happens exactly? Or is there something like a 'generic' support. Asking because having the possibility to return my Vega 64 to Amazon till next week, which works pretty good with my MacMini 2018 right now. As I primarily use the Mac as a workstation in the evening, I could easily wait for Catalina.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
reuel
(@reuel)

installed a 5700 xt anniversary edition on a core x today - macbook pro 15" 2019 vega 20.

steps:

rebooted to safe mode, uninstalled drivers using ddu
reboot to normal mode, install latest bootcamp drivers (june)
gpu still unrecognized, so unzipped the official latest radeon drivers w/ 5700 support (19.7.1) and updated driver for gpu in device manager

reboot, and gpu is recognized. i benchmarked the division 2 ultra settings at 3440x1400 (45fps avg) and 2560x1080 (55fps avg). everything looked great!

after an additional reboot, i just get a black screen. i was unable to get back to a normal desktop with the core x plugged or unplugged. i can tell windows is working though bc unplugging devices yields a windows sound.

anyone know what i might have done wrong? why did it work the first time? i assume i messed up the drivers by installing the latest bootcamp drivers then updating the gpu manually w/ the official 5700 drivers but i can't be sure. for now, i've reinstalled bootcamp until i figure out what's wrong.

This post was modified 12 months ago

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i9
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB
Razer Core X
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

kushNYC liked
ReplyQuote
vaegpu
(@vaegpu)

@derNico I updated to the latest beta 10.14.6 and unfortunately it does not output anything to an external monitor plugged in. I'm in a similar situation to you.

@reuel what I did was from a fresh bootcamp install (note that this method will disable your internal AMD GPU but when the drivers at bootcampdrivers.com are updated we can just use those and that will work with the internal GPU):

1) Download the latest Adrenalin drivers (19.7.1)
2) Plug in the eGPU to one of the right side TB3 ports (using the right side TB3 ports is actually important)
3) Run the installer, it will fail saying it can't detect an AMD card
4) Go to C:/AMD/Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2019-Edition-19.7.1-July7
5) Open Config/InstallManager.cfg in a text editor
6) Add the following line to the end of the file

EnableFalcon=true

Then run the Setup executable in the parent folder ( C:/AMD/Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2019-Edition-19.7.1-July7).

It should work after that. If you ever get Error 12 in the Device Manager for the 5700, just reboot to Mac and then reboot to Windows.

This post was modified 12 months ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
kakahara
(@kakahara)

Posted by: vaegpu

It should work after that. If you ever get Error 12 in the Device Manager for the 5700, just reboot to Mac and then reboot to Windows.

Golden!
So in this scenario, should you hotplug or keep it connected on both OS initializations, only 1 or something else?

Macbook Pro 13" i7 2019, Razer Core X, 5700XT 50th Anniversary Edition

ReplyQuote
 of  43