Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT

[Solved] AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT  

of  12
  RSS

leela
(@leela)

Has anyone successfully installed+used a RX 5700 / RX 5700 XT (or aftermarket versions like the Sapphire Pulse) in Bootcamp with an Akitio Node Pro
I remember @itsage saying that the Node Pro couldn't handle Vega power requirements, was wondering if this was still the case with these new Navi cards.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@leela The RX 5700 series works fine with AKiTiO Node Pro. I tried the reference RX 5700 XT inside my Node Pro without issues. The RX Vega 64 is a rare exception because it has very high power peaks. In order to run the Vega 64 stably, the enclosure needs to have at least a 650W PSU. Navi cards so far have been much more efficient.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
leela
(@leela)

Thanks @itsage!
How was your experience using the Razer Core for a Navi card? From what I understand the recommended PSU for both Navi cards is 600w, and since the Razer Core / Razer Core V2 both only have a 500w PSU, was wondering if you encountered any bumps along the way …
(Asking all these questions because I'm considering eGPU enclosures with a smaller footprint than the Razer Core X)

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Navi cards work fine in most eGPU enclosures. I’ve tested them with ASUS XG Station Pro (330W) and NetStor HL23T-Plus (400W) without any power-related issues.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@leela

The recommendations for the cards are for psu’s for a while system (pc), so including cpu and all that gubbins. The cards themselves draw sub 300w so should be fine in most enclosures. Vega 64 had an issue with power spikes which meant it needed a beefy psu even in an eGPU. I think that’s right? Correct me if I’m wrong, please. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
leela
(@leela)

Ah brilliant thank you @itsage and @eightarmedpet for clarifying! Now I just hope that Navi Mac support rolls along sooner rather than later …

ReplyQuote
trollied
(@trollied)

Posted by: @leela

Ah brilliant thank you @itsage and @eightarmedpet for clarifying! Now I just hope that Navi Mac support rolls along sooner rather than later …

I suspect we’ll find out on Tuesday.

Razer Core X Chroma. MacBook Pro (2017/13”/i5/16Gb). VEGA 64

ReplyQuote
Icon5585
(@icon5585)

Any updates on getting a 5700 or 5700 XT running on MacOS? 😀

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

As @itsage said, Catalina is scheduled for October... until now there are no evidence about drivers in current beta version. It's possible that we can see something in the first 10.15.1 beta version... however after October

2016 13" MacBook Pro + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@jefniro

This thread may help answer your question... sadly it looks like Navi drivers are unlikely until we get a Mac with a Navi card - iMac Pro refresh?

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Apple doesn’t really have another option so Navi GPUs in the Mac lineup is inevitable. New macOS public release typically occurs in late September. It’s scheduled for October this year which may coincide with new Mac announcement. I personally think the iMac is overdue for new design. The current MacBook Pro design has gone through 4 spec bumps. It’s reasonable to expect Navi to replace Polaris dGPUs in both the iMac and MacBook Pro.

jefniro liked
ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Trusted Member

@itsage

With the rumored migration to a 16" platform for the Macbook Pro, the sky will be the limit as far as what could be packed into a new platform. If they are truly moving to a MB, MBA, MBP lineup then the MB will need a spec bump and the MBP will have to truly offer a differentiator to drive a new price point. My thought is still that they are going to stick with HBM2 with its lower power needs. It just lines up with the Pro mindset of the new offerings. Now, that does not preclude AMD from pairing Navi with HBM2 to compete with the Max-Q line (who knows what the next gen of mobile GPU will look like)

That being said, this is a great time to be in this hobby... two big players going at it with offerings that I really think will push TB3 (or TB4) to the next level... now that would be awesome... 

2018 Mac mini running Radeon vii

ReplyQuote
User99999
(@user99999)
Trusted Member

Would someone provide link to ktext editing info for modded Mac GPU drivers? Thanks

Pending: Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2015 m370x eGPU Radeon Rx 5700 W10

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@user99999 There are no drivers for Navi cards in macOS yet and no kext modification possibilities either.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@itsage I read on TMac that a chap has managed to get the card recognised, and detached as metal compatible, but there is no video output.. details are scant so he may be talking nonsense.
Good point you Mande about Navi being the only way for Apple to go, unless they keep recycling old Polaris cards...

---

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
kosmos1999
(@kosmos1999)

Catalina Beta v9 is out. Any awesome news?

ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

@kosmos1999

I've installed macOS 10.15 public beta 8 but still no Radeon RX 5700 XT support. If you can test developer beta 9... 😉 

Razer Core X + AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT - Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2019 Radeon 560X

ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @ttamnogard

@itsage

With the rumored migration to a 16" platform for the Macbook Pro, the sky will be the limit as far as what could be packed into a new platform. If they are truly moving to a MB, MBA, MBP lineup then the MB will need a spec bump and the MBP will have to truly offer a differentiator to drive a new price point. My thought is still that they are going to stick with HBM2 with its lower power needs. It just lines up with the Pro mindset of the new offerings. Now, that does not preclude AMD from pairing Navi with HBM2 to compete with the Max-Q line (who knows what the next gen of mobile GPU will look like)

That being said, this is a great time to be in this hobby... two big players going at it with offerings that I really think will push TB3 (or TB4) to the next level... now that would be awesome... 

I share your optimism, although for now I would be happy with Navi eGPU support 😉

Razer Core X + AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT - Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2019 Radeon 560X

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Trusted Member

@precision01

my sapphire nitro+ 5700 xt showed up today... going to pair it to a 1440p 165hz Freesync 2 monitor... I’ll post another build when it is done.

ReplyQuote
derNico
(@dernico)

Posted by: @trollied

Ended up replacing it with a Vega 64. I think it’s too loud though 🙁

May get a quieter GPU, or a longer cable so that I can put the Chroma on the floor.

Same here. Luckily I first sent my Vega 64 back to Amazon, awaiting to buy the Navi card. But now, I stepped back buying a used Vega 64 for € 270. At least saving some money.

ReplyQuote
trollied
(@trollied)

Posted by: @dernico
Posted by: @trollied

Ended up replacing it with a Vega 64. I think it’s too loud though 🙁

May get a quieter GPU, or a longer cable so that I can put the Chroma on the floor.

Same here. Luckily I first sent my Vega 64 back to Amazon, awaiting to buy the Navi card. But now, I stepped back buying a used Vega 64 for € 270. At least saving some money.

I ended up buying a longer cable (crikey, they're expensive!) & putting the chroma on the floor. I don't even notice it now & it performs like a dream.

Am just weighing up monitor options now...

Anyone got any suggestions? I was looking at this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0727RQZBZ/ but I don't know whether I want the 4K goodness, or to go ultra widescreen. Hmm.

Razer Core X Chroma. MacBook Pro (2017/13”/i5/16Gb). VEGA 64

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Trusted Member

@trollied

yeah, active versus passive... you’re good for short cables without much to do... as soon as you get long... you need to throw a bit of tech into the plugs...

ReplyQuote
z3thon
(@z3thon)

macOS Catalina Dev Beta 10 is out, anybody got a 5700XT laying around that they can try in their eGPU with the new Beta?

ReplyQuote
integrii
(@integrii)

I am one of the idiots with an RX 5700 XT in a Core X connected to my 2019 MBP.  No dice on the latest beta 10 today.  Does not appear.

This card works in bootcamp, but my internal display does not work, even though its Intel.  I have a 'not enough resources' error that none of the solutions on this forum fix.

2019 13" MacBook Pro (8th,4C,U) + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10

z3thon liked
ReplyQuote
z3thon
(@z3thon)

@integrii

You are our savior mate. I don’t wanna crash through all that cash with no results!!!

we deeply appreciate your sacrifice.

ReplyQuote
integrii
(@integrii)

@z3thon

Thanks.  The goal here was that I needed a windows gaming PC but also a Macbook for my own private work.  I am trying to two-birds-one-stone those requirements with the eGPU and its definitely been not worth it for most people.  I am happy because I like to push what is possible and I think (assuming the industry pays attention to the eGPU market and Mac continues to allow Bootcamp) that this could be a very common and convenient approach one day.  I dropped some notes about my build here: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-14″-macbook-pro-intel-iris-655-8th4cu-rx-5700-xt-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-win10/

2019 13" MacBook Pro (8th,4C,U) + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10

ReplyQuote
xdvst8x
(@xdvst8x)

i can confirm.. not working in 10.15 beta 11

2016 Macbook Pro w/ Touchbar - 2.7Ghz i7, 16GB 500GB SSD
5700XT Radeon GPU
Sonnet external GPU Breakaway Box

ReplyQuote
Dylcan
(@dylcan)

Is today finally the day?  Excited to see results of people testing out their 5700s.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/11/apple-seeds-macos-catalina-10-15-1-beta-1/

Update: According to Apple's release notes, ‌macOS Catalina‌ 10.15.1 introduces support for the AMD Navi RDNA eGPU architecture”

ReplyQuote
ATLAS
(@atlas)

@dylcan Very eager to see if this works for those users. I would like to use a 5700, if supported!

ReplyQuote
(@christopher_straser)

Apple's claim isn't true: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/rx-5700-xt-on-macos/#post-66696

You guys still need to wait.

mac_editor and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Apple trolled hard again, it's sad to leverage how much users have to go down each time, again and again, just to get a simple driver for a simple gpu! 🙁 

I found this kind of company tactics disgraceful, i mean users paid for a product but have absolutely no right in being informed decently when major compatibility updates are planned to.

Without to mention that this kind of situation lead to nothing more than confusion among forums and tech media that keep feeding a hope instead of apple providing a real schedule as it should!!

😕

This post was modified 2 months ago

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
(@christopher_straser)

I don't think this has been done on purpose. There just seems to be a huge chaos over at Apple judging by the inconsistent software quality, bugs that get fixed and appear again in later releases, bugs that are known for a long time and never get fixed and the recently announced but non-existent Navi drivers.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Apple have really no excuse about why it does not provide at least a beta driver to work with, it is a grown enough multi billion dollar company to be able to sort its stuff together.

Without speaking about the fact that the gpu in question come directly from its own current partner, which by the way stay silent regarding the subject.

On top of that it seems that the topic get traction each time apple deliver a beta update, so it is a known matter that confuse a lot of users it seems.

Dunno if being done on purpose or not, but i suppose that the rich and knowledgeable apple user base portion can handle a god damn eGPU driver beta test. 😎 

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

Very strange behavior from Apple... uhm... The official change log says that there is the support to Navi, it means that it works in some way... I don't know, let's wait.

2016 13" MacBook Pro + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903

ReplyQuote
(@christopher_straser)

I bet they simply forgot to include the drivers in this beta release. Same as they once forgot to exclude parts of the early Navi drivers back in early Mojave releases. Probably will be included in the next beta.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

AMD released Navi cards officially the first week of July 2019 which mean almost 3 month ago and still there is no real clue about a working driver in this beta.

Furthermore i doubt this is a simple apple oversight, being AMD a partner it have access to engineering and software materials well before the official release date.

I suppose apple would gained access to engineering sample at least from the debut of 2019, which mean plenty of time to deliver a stable Navi driver for MacOS!

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
 of  12