Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT  

of  43
  RSS

cpow681
(@cpow681)

Hi Everybody,

Long time lurker, first time poster on eGPU. I picked up one of these new Sapphire 5700 XT cards and dropped it in a Razer Core X with the full understanding that driver support would be less than stellar on both platforms given how new everything is. The intention was to run it on my my 2018 mac mini under windows. Gonna start it out playing a few fun titles and then gradually work it into my professional workflow whenever this newfangled unicorn 16in MBP with a keyboard you can actually use comes out.

Haven't used the card all that much just yet, but I can confirm a couple details on the setup process:

1. Getting this things going wasn't actually too bad. I used an HDMI cable to go through the windows / bootcamp process.
2. Ran into a bit of a hiccup getting windows to boot while the eGPU was connected WITHOUT drivers. Having both the HDMI cable connected and the TB3 connection at boot simply sent the thing into a tailspin. So, I used HDMI to start the driver installation process, and then hot plugged the razer into the system during device detection. That seemed to be all that was needed. AMD's software simply installed the drivers, and I restarted booting natively into windows, disconnecting HDMI, keeping TB3 plugged in and running a DisplayPort cable directly from the card to my monitor. After a moment, the monitor lit up and worked.

I have a 4k panel running @60 hz. Done a little bit of gaming at with Shadow of the Tomb Raider at max settings and max resolution. And its performance — at least from the perspective of somebody who has little experience with eGPU products (this is my first one) and PC gaming, is quite incredible. Definitely think it's worth the $399 price. It gets a bit hot on load, but inside the core I don't the noise is much of an issue. I know it gets some flack from the blower only design, but I think it looks quite nice. MacOS has no idea this card exists when it's plugged in but I expected that. Thanks to everybody for all the time and effort put into builds. Happy to answer any questions and will post some pics of my hilariously bad cable management / setup when I get a chance.

All the best guys!

2018 Mac Mini i7 32GB + Razer Core X Chroma (ooh lights!) + AMD Radeon 5700 XT
2015 Macbook Pro + Working Keyboard + New, Non Exploding Battery

kushNYC and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
kakahara
(@kakahara)

@itsage

Ahh I've never hot plugged it in Windows (yet, will try tonight). Also, do you wait for Windows to load fully before hotplugging?

Doing it from the Windows icon just before the spinning dots has always caused me error 12 issues which I've "cured" twice now but disabling/enabling the ports. (Haven't done alot of testing as busy playing)

As a side note RE: performance
I'm playing Total War: 3 Kingdoms via steam on native resolution on Ultra on internal display.
Looks amazing but may have to drop down to a lower res as I think my nose touches the screen at times 😀 😯 
Using Wattman Auto Undervolt - I can see the GPU clock is in use at 2040-2080 Mhz - Marketing says Boost clock is 1980Mhz - is this the same thing?

Task Manager shows my CPU is at 35% util so I have room for a better GPU in future too.
Haven't got round to trying overclock yet.

Macbook Pro 13" i7 2019, Razer Core X, 5700XT 50th Anniversary Edition

ReplyQuote
Evangelos Vasilaropoulos
(@evangelos_vasilaropoulos)
Eminent Member

I have a Mac mini 16 g ram  i5 2018 processor and razer core x with Vega 64 nitro slightly overclock, and I get 6500 on timespy 3dmark demo.  Can anybody with similar specs do the test?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@kakahara I recently installed Windows 10 1903 on my Macs. This version allows hot-plugging of Radeon eGPU without BSOD or error 12. That's what I'm doing now for the 2018 Mac mini and 2019 13" MacBook Pro. It works very reliable.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Reputable Member

@itsage
I have windows 1809 installed on an external ssd, and my gaming box works fine. 
Does it make sense to update to 1903 with a view of upgrading either to a vega 56 nano or a vega vii , 5700xt in the near future? 
Waiting for the dust to settle so I can figure out what makes more sense for my use.

If if yes can I update the existing installation or I need to make a new one?

thanks in advance . 

A) 2020 MacBook Pro, i7-1038NG7, 32GB RAM, 1TB, EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, Samsung 65 Q70R
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5, Internal Bootcamp Windows 10 2004 pci.sys swap.
B) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295

C) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1803

D) 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Any sign of macOS compatibility in recent betas?

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@tsakal Win10 1903 can be a blessing for some Mac users running eGPU in Boot Camp but it can also wreak havoc for others. @eightarmedpet and I had a terrible experience upgrading our 2017 13" MacBook Pro to 1903. The mix of Radeon drivers and this Windows version would send my Boot Camp partition into a boot loop. There's no way to fix and clean install is needed. I tried it at least 4 times with same results. If your setup is working well I'd say stay put. Unless you have some spare time and full backup then give it a go and let us know your results.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Juan Monterrosa
(@juan_monterrosa)

@cpow681

Hey I'm currently in a huge struggle trying to get my new XFX RX 5700XT to be recognized by windows in Bootcamp. I have installed the latest drivers from bootcampdrivers.com and Windows just does not seem to recognize my card in the eGPU enclosure (Razer Core X). Windows thinks its a `Microsoft Basic Display Adapter`. When i try to download the drivers from Radeon's website, and manually hit update driver through device manager, the update says it fails and the drivers can't be installed. Not sure if i'm doing something wrong here, I've watched dozens of tutorials and forums and the process and my graphics card just simply isn't recognized by Windows. I'm running Windows 10 1803 currently. 

This post was modified 12 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Some prep work while waiting for RX 5700 XT delivery tomorrow night. Fans and radiator are in place. I will drill four mounting holes on the bottom to secure the pump/reservoir combo. I'm not sure how all the lines are going to fit inside just yet.

kushNYC, wimpzilla, kakahara and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Juan Monterrosa
(@juan_monterrosa)

Just thought I'd update the thread and mention that bootcampdrivers.com officially now supports the Radeon 5700 in the July version updates with an eGPU! Will be installing them tonight and try running it on a fresh install of  windows 10 1903 on an external ssd on my 15 inch MacBook Pro 2018. I'll update with my findings.

ReplyQuote
 of  43