AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT

[Solved] AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT  

of  11
  RSS

x8machina8x
(@x8machina8x)

Posted by: @nu_ninja

@yossi1114

To answer your slightly off topic question, for Minecraft and CS:GO in macOS the game doesn't start from a .app but instead starts from a script file. This means those games don't respect the prefer external GPU setting. Setting Prefer external GPU on the terminal application and then manually starting the game script from the terminal should accelerate the game with the eGPU. However, at least in the case of CS:GO, this blocks you from official servers.

Currently only available in Beta 10.15.1...but yeah, soon it'll be available for everyone.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos_release_notes/macos_catalina_10_15_1_beta_2_release_notes

eGPU

New Features

• Support has been added for the AMD Navi RDNA architecture.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Lastik
(@lastik)

Currently having Razer core X with Sapphire VEGA 64 NITRO with terrible coil whine. So, going to RMA it, and thinking of NAVI one of Sapphire.

Does anyone have Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro?  If yes, could you please point out, does ARGB ligting work in MAC OS? Does it annoy you (changing colors) if you are from the left side of the box? Ligting on VEGA one from the left side is barely visible and doesn't annoy.

@itsage

Hello, could you do a favour? Please check if led switch on your awesome card turn off all the led except ports lighting? or there is some more lighting it doesn't control. Great thx! 

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: @lastik

@itsage

Hello, could you do a favour? Please check if led switch on your awesome card turn off all the led except ports lighting? or there is some more lighting it doesn’t control. Great thx! 

Can you clarify which graphics card you referred to? I don’t believe there’s a LED control software in macOS for any graphics cards atm. Gigabyte has a LED control utility for its Gaming Boxes LEDs is the only example I could think of.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Lastik
(@lastik)

@itsage

Sorry, I thought you got Red Devil, and it has hardware led switch. I made a mistake, it was mymantiz_john , who wrote about it.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@lastik Not sure where the hardware LED switch is. I only saw the Quiet and OC switch for this card. DevilZone is the software utility in Windows to change the RGB. When select to “Turn Off” the LEDs by monitor output ports stay on.

ReplyQuote
Lastik
(@lastik)

Guess this model doesn't have it... Managed to mix up it with 590 red devil I guess. Was pretty sure I read that it has it. Sorry...

How is it going by the way? Does card has some disadvantages, e.g. coil whine and etc? Are you satisfied?))

ReplyQuote
Nadstaky
(@nadstaky)

PLEASE HELP FRIENDS ! 😥 

Had before :

- Razer Core X

- Asus ROG Vega 64

=> Worked in 10.15, 10.15.1 Dev. Beta 2

I've received my Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8GB, installed it in my Razer Core X and 10.15.1 Dev. Beta 2 doesn't discover it 🙁

Even the "GYGABYTE" logo on the card doesn't light up... I have no way to check if the card is faulty as I have no PC with PCI-E 3 support.

CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE ?

Thanks in advance

2019 15" MacBook Pro Radeon Pro R560X Core i9
Razer Core X Chroma + Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC (Catalina)
Razer Core X Chroma + Asus Rog Strix RTX 2080 Ti (BootCamp Win 10 1903)
Dell UltraSharp U3818DW

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

@nadstaky

Do the fans spin? It is possible that it's DOA.

2018 Mac Mini i7 / 256 / 16GB
2019 24" LG Ultrafine 4k Monitor
Razer Core X + Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Nadstaky
(@nadstaky)

Thanks. This card looks like my previous Asus ROG Vega 64 : AFAIK the fans don't spin until there's load.

Should I reinstall Catalina ? Win 10 ?

Too bad 🙁

Dell UltraSharp U3818DW

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

@nadstaky

I would expect the fans to spin up on power up then settle. I'm just wondering if there is any power going to the card. No lights and no fans are usually the way you can tell. This is all independent of the OS you choose to run. 

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

I would maybe start over with a fresh install of the latest MacOS beta, also checking if the card works as it should in bootcamp is a good idea.

Apple just released the Navi driver, so i would expect it is still buggy and not well optimized as it should for now.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
Nadstaky
(@nadstaky)

Well... My fault !

I had badly mounted it physically in the Razer Core X. The PCI-Express was not in contact.

Everything's fine now 🙂

Works under Catalina and Win 10 (with the "GIGABYTE" logo cycling RGB 😉

Thanks all

Dell UltraSharp U3818DW

ReplyQuote
(@elman_agaev)

Posted by: @nadstaky

Works under Catalina and Win 10 (with the "GIGABYTE" logo cycling RGB 😉

I bought the Gigabyte card too 🙂

ReplyQuote
MacMini_RazerCoreX_Radeon 5700
(@macmini_razercorex_radeon-5700)

I have a 2018 Mac mini, Razer Core X, Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT, Mac OS 10.15 Catalina.

eGPU is not detected. I get a black screen when I introduce the eGPU.

Mac mini -> Thunderbolt 3 cable -> Razer Core X

and

Razer Core X -> HDMI cable -> 30" BenQ monitor

The AMD 5700 card lights up and fans spin.

Razer Core X does get connection from Thunderbolt and fans spin for a second when connecting but the eGPU does not show up

in the task bar and Photoshop and Davinci Resolve do not detect an eGPU. About this Mac -> Displays -> does not show there, either.

I can run a HDMI cable from the monitor to the Razer Core X and a second HDMI cable to the Mac mini. Still no go or if I use one

cable to the eGPU, still a black monitor screen. Unplugging and fiddling at different times I will see the white apple logo on a black screen

with a progress bar but never get past to a full boot.

2018 Mac mini
Razer Core X
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 5700 RX
Mac 10.15.1 (beta 3 from Oct. 24, 2019)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@macmini_razercorex_radeon-5700

Navi requires macOS 10.15.1. Please consider reading through the thread before posting. 

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Just tried my 5700 xt with different drivers and error 43 still. Having to hit plug my Ultrafine too. Catalina has made things worse for me. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@eightarmedpet Which Windows 10 version are you running? I just updated my 2017 13″ MacBook Pro to both macOS 10.15.1 Dev Beta 3 and Win10 1903 18392.449. It remains functional in Boot Camp through automate-eGPU. I’m also running Adrenalin 19.10.2 drivers.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@itsage I'm running 1809 and the latest driver from Bootcamp drivers (top of the list), popped my Vega back in and all is fine, I have never really had to deal with error 43 before and I'm thinking its a hardware issue this time with my card - it was working fine for a couple off days, no updates, then error 43...

I dont have a dev account anymore so can't download the beta to check in macOS.

---

ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Trusted Member

Just tested my red devil card and it doesn’t seem to be detected. Hot plugged and it lights up but doesn’t run. Not detected under device manager either. similar to the VII I had a bit ago. 

was hoping this would be a plug and play card by the time i got it lol. Alas looks like I’ll have to figure something out including a new bootcamp build since I’m running the wrong version atm. Advice is welcome since it looks like I’ll be doing more than previously thought.

2019 15" MBP running 10.14.5 + Bootcamp Win 10 (18362.295)
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9
Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
eGPU: Red Devil 5700 xt in a Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@eightarmedpet I tested the 2017 13″ MacBook Pro with Mantiz Venus + RX 5700 XT eGPU tonight. They worked without issues through automate-eGPU EFI. Windows 10 1903 OS Build 19382.449 and Adrenalin version 19.10.2. I was also able to use a USB-C FHD monitor through the same left-side Thunderbolt 3 controller. I will post a build guide in the morning with step-by-step instructions and benchmarks (internal display, loopback, and external monitor). 10.15.1 Public Beta 2 is available so you don’t need a Dev account to install it, just in case you need to test the RX 5700 XT in macOS.

ReplyQuote
tony7711
(@tony7711)

Google bring me here. And thank you all, today MSI RX 5700 XT reference + Razer Core X + Late 2016 MBP are working; of course Mac OS 10.15.1.

Connection:

Razer Core X <- - --> Late 2016 MBP <-- --> LG 5K

One ThunderBolt 3 cable comes with Razer Core X, the other comes with LG 5K, both are Intel Certified with Lighting and 3 logos on it

Appreciate if anyone can help with these issues; any thoughts and advices are appreciated.

1. iMovie shut off within one second, I did not turn on Prefer External GPU since I don't have this option.

2. Photo runs fine if I open it on MBP; it keeps running when I drug it to LG 5K; but if I open any photo; it shuts off right away. And error report screen comes. 

If I turn off Prefer External GPU for Photo; then Photo works perfectly on LG 5K and MBP.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@itsage

cheers for the info! Didn't realise public was out... installed and tested here

TLDR: eGPU caused kernel panic in macOS which makes me think it is hardware related as Vega is fine?

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@eightarmedpet Kernel panic in macOS is typically a sign of hardware incompatibility/issue.

ReplyQuote
WillyC
(@willyc)

Posted by: @beardedbro

Just tested my red devil card and it doesn’t seem to be detected.

I don’t like to hear this as I have one of these on the way. 

Does anyone here have the Red Devil 5700 xt card working in an eGPU? (Either in Catalina beta or in Bootcamp)?

@beardedbro - let us know if you get it working or learn anything. I post my experience with it when it arrives next week. 

Mac Mini 2018 (64 GB, 1TB)
Asus XG Station Pro
Red Devil 5700XT

ReplyQuote
(@evangelos_vasilaropoulos)

I had one and I confirm is working in Catalina and in Windows with egpu and Mac mini 2018. I just return it and went with the sapphire nitro + 5700 xt cause of the TriXX software of the sapphire. With sapphire I get little better 3dmark score but the rgb is not so beautiful like the red devil. 

ReplyQuote
WillyC
(@willyc)

@evangelos_vasilaropoulos

Awesome - thanks for taking the time to reply.  I was also looking at the Nitro + originally but availability was poor where/when I was ordering.  For my use case I don't think I'll miss the TriXX software but it looks like a good package, and the solid red glow of the RGB (which I guess is what I'm stuck with in macOS) goes my with motif.

Good to know I'll at least have a shot.  My whole package (mini/Asus XG Pro/Red Devil) arrives early next week.  Also hoping the card will fit in that enclosure but I have the enclosure in hand already and it seems like there's lots of room.

Mac Mini 2018 (64 GB, 1TB)
Asus XG Station Pro
Red Devil 5700XT

ReplyQuote
(@evangelos_vasilaropoulos)

No problem, unfortunately  my nitro has some kernel panic when i try to enable custom resolution on trixx software in some games as the ghost recon breakpoint. Also i have to manually turn off and on the razor egpu to enable the nitro when i start the window. I don't know if this is a faulty card or i have to do fresh of the windows. With the red devil was everything smooth and plug and play when i switch from my previous Vega 64 nitro + card.

ReplyQuote
MacMini_RazerCoreX_Radeon 5700
(@macmini_razercorex_radeon-5700)

@mac_editor  Thank you, -helpful suggestion worked for me.

I read a lot here of people saying Mac OS 10.15.1 beta broke the use of their functioning video cards. I signed up with Apple to get a developer account and downloaded the beta of Catalina and it worked.

Mac OS 10.15.1 (beta 3 from Oct. 24, 2019) works for AMD Radeon Nitro+ 5700 XT

2018 Mac mini
Razer Core X
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 5700 RX
Mac 10.15.1 (beta 3 from Oct. 24, 2019)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

Just got my 5700XT and got it working on boot camp. Took a few tries. Boots up now with the eGPU connected and runs a treat. Just need to get my Huawei VR cable to connect to the Ultrafine.  Using a spare HDMI monitor at the moment to confirm it’s ok. 

ReplyQuote
biglittlefrank
(@biglittlefrank)

Is there anyone who made some benchmarks with 10.15.1 b3 to compare the performance of the 5700 XT via eGPU? 

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@lie

I want to see more pics of your set up! Every time I go to sell my Ultrafine someone posts pics of theirs and I remember how damn nice they are. 

---

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @eightarmedpet

@lie

I want to see more pics of your set up! Every time I go to sell my Ultrafine someone posts pics of theirs and I remember how damn nice they are. 

Setup isn’t complete yet but here is the most recent photo.

WillyC, jefniro, Eightarmedpet and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@christopher_straser)

Any Mac users interested in overclocking / undervolting the RX 5700 (XT) cards should look here: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/340909-tool-amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-powerplay-table-generator

This tool allows you to generate a custom PowerPlay Table. It's intended mainly for Hackintosh users, but injecting the PPT with a Dummy Kext works on a real Mac as well no matter if on a Mac Pro or on any Mac using an eGPU.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@christopher_straser

Thanks for sharing! Ive used a Vega PPT generator for a Vega 64 (VegaTAB I think it was) previously. Though it didn’t work as a codeless kext at the time - I had to inject it directly into AMD10000Controller’s Info plist.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
 of  11