AMD or Nvidia for only gaming on MacBook Pro 16" 2019

Notifications
Clear all

AMD or Nvidia for only gaming on MacBook Pro 16" 2019  

RSS

wesker
(@wesker)

Hello, I have a 16 inch macbook pro I just bought, as well as a Razer Chroma core X + a rx vega 56.

I didn't think at all that you had to do all of this to play on Bootcamp.

I only need the eGPU to play from time to time, but not for the Mac, because 5300m is enough for working.

Therefore, I would like the simplest possible method for it to work (plug and play). I read that an Nvidia card would be much easier on bootcamp because it would only install the drivers, and not need to remove amd driver. Obviously, it will not work on catalina as it is an Nvidia card, but it is absolutely not important for me.

Do you think that for my situation, an Nvidia card would be much easier than an AMD card?

Many thanks for your help!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@wesker, If you only need the eGPU in Windows Boot Camp, Nvidia is a much easier path than AMD.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@filip_filipes)

@itsage, Hello! I will only be playing in bootcamp and wondering if i could use my internal display with Geforce rtx 2060. And im wondering if you think i will have high fps and ability to play warzone?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
wesker
(@wesker)

@filip_filipes,

After trying for two weeks to play from time to time with a 16 "macbook pro + vega 56 + Razer Chrome X chroma, I am generally disappointed with the egpu. It gets very hot, it is noisy, and in addition I really the impression that it will wear out the macbook pro prematurely. My opinion is only based on Windows bootcamp.

Since I bought the razer on amazon for 429 €, I simply decided to send it back. I use the macbook for my job as a graphic designer, and I decided to buy a gaming pc at the lowest cost instead. Gigabyte B365M motherboard 75 € + Intel 9100F with fan 90 € + 16gb ram 2666mhz 75 € + case 25 € + power supply 600w 35 € + western digital 500gb high performance M2 3GB / S 95 €. It's a total of 400 €, but I end up with a fully functional computer to play. I will place the vega 56 in it and I will therefore separate the macbook pro from work and that for the game.

So in the end, for the price of the Razer case alone, you have a 9th generation computer with M2 hard drive and 16gb of ram!

If you, like me, are thinking of buying an egpu case just for playing, go straight ahead. There are huge losses of FPS, it is painful to have to do manipulations for the startup, sometimes it restarts without reason, or else I had direct X errors in the middle of warzone. In short it is very frustrating.

The only interest for me of an EGPU box is a performance in software on macosx, and in software on windows. But for the game, it's a bad calculation for me.

I had a hackintosh before which I used to work and also to play, and I didn't want to have to do all these manipulations anymore. This is the reason why I bought an official mac. But I notice that if I have to make manipulations in the other direction with the egpu, ie on bootcamp, that is not used for me for nothing.

For my part, the chroma goes back to amazon.

I also think that in the end, I will have two computers to resell rather than an eGPU case which will be much more difficult to resell.

Good continuation !

ReplyQuote