Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
AMD Polaris refresh at 12nm - RX680 coming 2018

AMD Polaris refresh at 12nm - RX680 coming 2018  

RSS

Phoenix2063
(@phoenix2063)
Eminent Member

Looking like AMD will be launching another Polaris refresh however it'll be manufactured at 12nm and offer up a 15% or more performance boost over the RX580 series. Would make sense as AMD have done multiple refreshes of the same architecture before and usually in response to Nvidia's new releases to compete at the budget end.

Given that Egpu's loose about 15% performance this would be a pretty nice budget option until we see 7nm later next year. So if you're thinking of buying a RX580 or GTX1060, may be worth waiting a month and seeing what drops.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/63296/amd-rumored-preparing-polaris-30-12nm-tech-rx-680/index.html

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
nanoBit
(@nanobit)
Trusted Member

But no news about a new Vega? The RX series is a bit too weak for my intend, even after the update

Setup: MacBook Pro 2018 15" 2.6GHz Radeon Pro 560X on macOS 10.14 & Windows 10 (Bootcamp); Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350 with a Zotac GTX1080 AMP! Edition

ReplyQuote
Phoenix2063
(@phoenix2063)
Eminent Member

AMD will be the first to 7nm for both GPU and CPU starting this year with a new developer card (believe under the Vega name), followed by consumer gaming 7nm GPU's codenamed Navi to follow in 2019 alongside their 7nm CPU's. This is a huge leap forward against both Intel and Nvidia, there's expected to be two new lines for both budget which is rumoured to be used in the next playstation, and higher end to replace Vega (also rumoured to be using HBM3 memory).

We're a year away at least from new AMD chipsets so a Polaris bump to keep up with Nvidia's 'affordable' 2060 and below is welcome (especially if you have a free sync monitor). For me the RX680 would be a buffer choice until this releases as a bunch of the games i want to play currently aren't graphic intensive, also Vega is just poorly placed on both price & performance imho and also the reason why Raja Koduri left as he had vital resources shifted away from Vega development.  

Just for further context, Intel have failed to bring 10nm to market for two years with their CEO resigning after another failed 2018 target, with their new goal of late 2019 but more likely 2020 given their track record. So for AMD to surpass this to 7nm and launch a year ahead of Intel will mean further AMD gains in market share.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Super interesting for me, I hope they include a USB C/TB 3 port for VR link which can drive my Ultrafine display...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Phoenix2063
(@phoenix2063)
Eminent Member

As thunderbolt was developed by Intel you won't see it on AMD hardware or laptops that use their Ryzen mobile CPU

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Damn, you are right, I always forget that... but the USB C based VR link might have the bandwidth to power an Ultrafine display, but it prob wont work... le sigh...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Ziggity
(@ziggity)

Didn't Intel "open up" the TB3 standard to encourage widespread adoption?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

USB-C monitor output would be nice. This may be a “premium card” feature though given the only USB-C port GPUs on the market currently are RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote