Any LGA1151 motherboard for egpu?  

RSS

(@lfp_kyoto-uji)

Hi,

I'd like to build a PC and keep things relatively small and lightweight. 

The PC will be used for multimedia + some (retro) gaming in my living room, and will also be used in a different room for photo+video editing.

As I'll need more gpu power (and a Quadro or Radeon Pro for 10-bits color) in room 2, I thought about an egpu solution but am currently lost at sea when it comes to choosing a motherboard.

Could anyone please recommend me a LGA1151 motherboard with TB3 connexion I could use for this project?

It seems not all TB3 motherboards support egpu and I'm worried I'll make the wrong choice.

Thanks,

Larry

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Are you looking for ITX motherboard only? Will you be installing a discrete GPU?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
(@lfp_kyoto-uji)

@itsage

The PC will sit on a low wooden wagon made for a printer. It can support up to 30kg and, size-wise, my Canon MP620 was able to sit on it without any issue.

I simply want to avoid huge towers as I think it's overkill for my needs (and wouldn't fit on the wagon).

I'll rely on the Intel UHD for the home theater/multimedia/retro gaming part as it's more than enough for my needs.

egpu solution caught my attention as it would allow me, in the future, to alternatively share the same enclosure and video card with several computers (eg: the same card could be used with the desktop computer or a laptop, depending on my needs and workflow).

Heck, I'd buy a Mac Mini right away if the prospect of upgrading the memory by myself didn't send shivers down my spine...

This post was modified 2 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote