Any recommendations on the RX580? (Silent first)  

RSS

Alex Ryan
(@alex_ryan)
November 9, 2018 8:31 am  

Hey guys, I'm just busy setting my eGPU set for macbook pro 15'' (late 2016) with Mantiz Venus.
I've tried GTX 1050Ti, it works fine, just not so convenient on macos.
Also I've bought a Sapphire RX580 oc, it works pretty neat, just plug&play, but there is one thing that I really can't stand: the noise of the fan. It seems one of the fans is always running at full speed. Since I cannot control the fan speed like in windows with the AMD driver, I'm not sure how it works on windows.
I'm here to ask if you guys have any other recommendations? The noise really drives me crazy.

ReplyQuote
ScreamingPict
(@screamingpict)
November 10, 2018 4:45 pm  

Odd- I was going to recommend the RX580 I just purchased- I bought it because the reviews specifically mentioned it was very quiet, and it has proved so.

However what I bought was the Sapphire Pulse RX580... so unless Sapphire has 2 versions of the RX580, something odd is going on.

ReplyQuote
Alex Ryan
(@alex_ryan)
November 10, 2018 7:57 pm  

That’s funny, but what I bought is a Sapphire Nitro+ RX580.
As I know, Sapphire got several versions of RX580 (at least 4).
Thanks for your recommendation, I will try to get a Sapphire Pulse RX580 8g and give it another try.

ReplyQuote
jgrove
(@jgrove)
November 11, 2018 9:28 am  

I just purchased a Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box, it works on both my MBP 2018 and my Windows NUC. It is likely as silent a you can get, even under load. But in a silent room, yes it can be mildly irritating. 

I bought a 2m Active TB3 cable (40gb) and have moved the box under my desk, which has made a huge difference. 

I was was torn between the almost silent Blackmagic Pro 580 and the Gigabyte RX 580 box. In the UK the Blackmagic is nearly 180 Pounds more than the Gigabyte and won’t run under windows. Hence I got the Gigabyte, now the Blackmagic has some advantages, but the users who need those functions are limited.

if the price points were closer than I may have reconsidered, personnel I think you’ll see greater support for the multi purpose eGPUs. The market Apple is aiming at with its Blackmagic range are different to me.

Just my thoughts,

ReplyQuote