Which video card to put in empty Aorus Gaming Box? 2017 15' MBP RP560 + macOS10....

Notifications

Which video card to put in empty Aorus Gaming Box? 2017 15' MBP RP560 + macOS10.13.1  

RSS

StanislavM
(@stanislavm)

Hello!

My setup Macbook Pro 2017 15' i7 3.1 / Radeon Pro 560 / Mac OS High Serra 10.13.1 + EMPTY Aorus Gaming Box

What do you recommend, what video card to install in Aorus Gaming Box? I use Mac OS only and work with Premiere Pro and Davinci.
I think about R9 NANO, but i don't understand issue with 10.13.1, will R9 NANO work with High Sierra or not. And i read about RX 580 and Aorus setup and how i understand it's doesn't work for now.
And I will be grateful for the help in choosing what video card to install in Aorus Gaming Box, with my setup?

PS

Thank you, and sorry for my English.

Macbook PRO 15' 2017 i7 3.1 / RP 560 + Aourus Gaming Box / Mac OS only

ReplyQuote
deathtrapz
(@deathtrapz)
Eminent Member

Almost all AMD cards will work 100% fine with 10.13.1. But as for what card will best suit your workflow I would suggest an Nvidia card as both Davinci and Premier have better performance in CUDA environments. funny enough the best cards you could put in there are the gigabyte mini 1070 or mini 1080. Im not sure if there is a small enough 1070 Ti yet.
The eGPU community has now figured a way to get Nvidia cards to work with 10.13.1 and is pretty simple to set up!

2017 MBP 15" - Aorus Gaming Box 1070 - 2012 iMac 21.5"

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
StanislavM
(@stanislavm)

Thank you for the answer! I feel that my Aorus will work only with GTX series. Because issue with 8 pin to 6 pin connectors and AMD card detection in Aourus not so clear. And AMD R9 NANO doesn't work yet. Vega NANO in a near future. 

I steal thinking about a card(really want to hear the experience in the selection of AMD), but i have a new questions too 🙂

I plugged Aourus and they start charging my MacBook. Screen Shot: 131636697

Can I use Aorus like a prime charger?   And can I use my apple charger in the same time with Aourus Game Box? 

And one more thing - question, when I look to ThunderBolt devices I see Screen Shot: 131636718 

Can I put gtx 1080 in Aourus Game Box 1070? All be ok?

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@StanislavM, you can use the AORUS Gaming Box as the primary charger and USB dock until you figure out which GPU to put inside. There’s no point in using the Apple charger at the same time. The laptop takes charge from the source with the highest wattage (AORUS provide 100W).

From your second screen capture, my guess is you have a 13″ Touch Bar MacBook Pro. Don’t plug the eGPU enclosure into the right side Thunderbolt 3 ports. Use the left side ports to get full 40Gbps.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
StanislavM
(@stanislavm)

Posted by: itsage

@StanislavM, you can use the AORUS Gaming Box as the primary charger and USB dock until you figure out which GPU to put inside. There's no point in using the Apple charger at the same time. The laptop takes charge from the source with the highest wattage (AORUS provide 100W).

From your second screen capture, my guess is you have a 13" Touch Bar MacBook Pro. Don't plug the eGPU enclosure into the right side Thunderbolt 3 ports. Use the left side ports to get full 40Gbps.

Hello! Thank you itsage for the answer, i use Screen Shot: 131770278 And i'm sure it's 15' inch model 🙂

And I see only 20Gbps. Maybe I need put card inside? Or upgrade some firmware?  (I asked you, about that question in another topic "Unlike the AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box at launch, the Thunderbolt firmware of this AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box does not suffer from H2D issue. ")

Or something another?

Update: I connected again Screen Shot 131788917  And I see 40Gbps but now my apple charger was plugged to MacBook too! I tested all 4 ports, and changed ports with apple charger cord too!

+

Posted by: itsage

@StanislavM, I remember now when there's no active data transmission System Information » Thunderbolt may show 20 Gbps instead of 40Gbps. For the eGPU enclosure firmware update, please follow this procedure in Windows Boot Camp.

If you primarily use macOS, Radeon cards have better compatibility. I'd say wait for RX Vega Nano if you can.

ReplyQuote
vesper8
(@vesper8)

I swapped the 1070 with a R9 Nano in my Aorus box.. because the 1070 was not compatible with my late-2013 750m model

Works great in Windows but no support yet in High Sierra

And the wait for the Vega Nano might be a long one if it even ever happens.. seems they are having trouble cooling the larger card as it is.. not sure how they can cool it with such a tiny fan/heatsink

It's really silly that Sierra supported the R9 Nano but not High Sierra.. what a load of bull..

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote